UKC

computer help please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mack 16 Jul 2014
I know there are a few computer peeps on this forum so thought I would get your opinions.
This morning my Java update failed to work. It says that it worked and that the latest version is on my computer but certain programmes now don't work.
Half way through the update it found a corrupt file (lib security cacerts* and claimed the data was not the same so couldn't be updated, yet it continued with the update.
Have tried another update with same result.. have even tried system restore to no effect.
Could I completely erase Java from the computer and load afresh? or will the computer have problems reloading once Java is totally erased from it?
Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated..
Will check up on this thread later this evening.. thanks folks =)
*Here there should be one of these / between each word but facing other way. comp won't let me input it.
 Route Adjuster 16 Jul 2014
In reply to mack:

You should be able to safely remove Java and then re-install.
KevinD 16 Jul 2014
In reply to mack:

Yes you can do manual removes and restores.
Can be a pain the arse though since its java.

https://www.java.com/en/download/help/windows_offline_download.xml
 Jack B 16 Jul 2014
In reply to mack:

It is safe to remove Java and reinstall it. Programs which rely on it won't work while it is missing, but your computer will start up just fine.

Go into "add or remove programs" (on Windows 7 just type that into the box in the start menu and click it when it shows up). You'll probably find many many versions of java in the list, remove all of them. This should get rid of Java, but because it's badly written, it will leave some leftovers, hopefully they won't matter though.

Then download and install Java, a fresh download from the java website is probably a good idea. Make sure you untick the box to install the free browser toolbars if it comes up.

If that doesn't work, you could try again but removing all the leftovers. Post up and someone will tell you how.

It's also possible that those programs won't work with new versions of Java, this update removes Java 6 support. What programs are affected?
Removed User 16 Jul 2014
In reply to Jack B:

> What programs are affected

This is the important bit, you shouldn't need Java installed for pretty much anything short of Minecraft these days.
OP mack 16 Jul 2014
In reply to mack:

That's great! Thanks everyone for the advice.. will uninstall java now then.. Cheers =)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...