UKC

Si-fi or animated?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 19 Jul 2014
Not too sure what to watch tonight but I'd like to choose between an animated or Si-fi film.

Any suggestions of films released in the last 2-3 years would me most appreciated.

Cheers muchly.
 Tom Valentine 19 Jul 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

Just watched Oblivion. Not a TC fan at all but it's a great looking film and the plot isn't too bad.
 Blue Straggler 19 Jul 2014
In reply to The Lemming:
Could you not watch an animated sci-fi film?

Animated non-sci-fi - try Paranorman.
Post edited at 18:50
In reply to The Lemming:

> Any suggestions of films released in the last 2-3 years would me most appreciated.

By the way, and this is an absolutely genuine question, why do you always ask for stuff only from the last few years? Is it to limit the amount of suggestions you get?
OP The Lemming 19 Jul 2014
In reply to Tom Valentine:

> Just watched Oblivion.

I too was impressed with that film and I even liked the recent Jonny Depp film. I know it got slated by the critics, but what do they know.
In reply to The Lemming:

Tried Elysium?

Good film too, and one not spoiled by a Hollywood happy ending either.
In reply to The Lemming:

Is Riddick worth a punt?
In reply to The Lemming:
Another genuine question - why do you never answer my (non-pisstake) questions or reply directly to my well-intentioned recommendations?

(I thought Transcendence - the Johnny Depp you surely refer to - was OK too. I think I gave it 6.5 / 10)
Post edited at 19:31
 riddle 19 Jul 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

Don't waste your money on Riddick.

The Chronicles of Riddick was superb and held such promise to rival Star Wars.

Riddick is a pile of pap; I'd rather push wasps up my bum.
In reply to The Lemming:

2014 has been a pretty good year for sci-fi actually but I am not sure what there is that is legitimately available to watch at home. "her" was great (not "hard" sci-fi admittedly). And keeping it Scarlett, Under the Skin just came out on DVD though I don't think you would like that one.

Avoid the RoboCop remake like the plague though.
In reply to The Lemming:

Ok , bit hard to get hold of, but Europa Report is good if not spectacular like Oblivion or Elysium.
 Tom Last 19 Jul 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

Not Enders Game don't watch that. Was it a joke or just a massive pile of shit I wonder.

> Ok , bit hard to get hold of, but Europa Report is good if not spectacular like Oblivion or Elysium.

hard to get hold of?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Europa-Report-DVD/dp/B00E96BPNC/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&am...

OK a bit dearer than what we are used to, and possibly a continental-Europe DVD, with correspondingly slow delivery, but it's commercially available from the first site I looked up...
 Mike-W-99 19 Jul 2014
In reply to Tom Last:

> Not Enders Game don't watch that. Was it a joke or just a massive pile of shit I wonder.

Definitely the latter.
I can't wait to find out what The Lemming decided on and whether it was based upon a recommendation from this thread. I hope he reports back with an opinion.

In reply to The Lemming:

For future reference try this one
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1093357/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_8

Ignore the poor rating. It's no masterpiece, it is flawed indeed, but it is visually lovely and at least worth a look. I didn't feel too short changed having paid to see it at the cinema in 3D.

It's the sort of thing I think you would enjoy. Got some proper suspenseful scenes, some surprises, and as I say it looks visually nice. Decent performances.
 aln 19 Jul 2014
In reply to Blue Straggler:

> Another genuine question - why do you never answer my (non-pisstake) questions or reply directly to my well-intentioned recommendations?

From previous Lemming postings I think he has a list of posters he won't engage with no matter the content of the particular post. I'm probably on the list, maybe you are too.
In reply to aln:

I don't actually mind the snub. I can understand where he's coming from. I just hope that quietly he does take in some of my recommendations. He does come back to threads like this and thank "everyone" and in a way, that's enough for me (more petulant posters would thank "everyone except Blue Straggler"). Still (and this reads far more arrogantly than it's intended!), his refusal to engage directly with me re: film recommendations may be his loss rather than mine.

I'll continue to post on such threads though. I don't need thanks. I just sometimes wonder "why aren't they speaking to me". I get over it.
 aln 20 Jul 2014
In reply to Blue Straggler:

> I don't actually mind the snub.

There's no snub

He does come back to threads like this and thank "everyone"

Common courtesy.

more petulant posters would thank "everyone except Blue Straggler").

Don't think I've ever seen that.

> I'll continue to post on such threads though.

Good.

Blue Straggler 20 Jul 2014

> more petulant posters would thank "everyone except Blue Straggler").

> Don't think I've ever seen that.

Never been applied to me but I've seen it on other (non-Lemming) threads. Mostly on climbing-related technical "advice" threads.
OP The Lemming 20 Jul 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

Thank you everybody for your suggestions. I think that I will give Riddick a wide birth, if it is going to spoil my rose-tinted happy memories of the Chronicles.

Last night took an eventful turn meaning that I could not watch what I'd hoped.

Take pitty on me, as I saw Miss Congeniality 2.

gulp!
 Blue Straggler 21 Jul 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

Armed and Fabulous!
 Nick Harvey 21 Jul 2014
In reply to Mike_Watson_99:

It's a shame cos the book is excellent - doesn't really work as a film (for a start they had to make them all much older)
In reply to The Lemming:
Not the past 2-3 years, but what the hell:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0386741/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_23
Post edited at 11:08

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...