UKC

Miele washing machine thoughts

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 simon1985 19 Jul 2014
We need a new washing machine and there is a miele on offer for £550. Anyone got one are they any good? Cheers Simon
 wbo 19 Jul 2014
In reply to simon1985:
They are very good. I believe they are one of the very few still using a metal drum, a big plus. They are however pricey
 Tom Valentine 19 Jul 2014
In reply to wbo:

Salesman at Curry's told us that Miele were worth the extra "because if used properly it might last five or six years..."
 Timmd 19 Jul 2014
In reply to Tom Valentine:
Bloody hell, is that seen as a good lifespan these days?

My parents' old washing machine lasted for around 20 years or so, it only broke a few years ago.
Post edited at 19:32
In reply to simon1985:

Miele are very highly rated - no personal experience (can't afford them) but consensus seems to be that they are a clear notch above Bosch, who are themselves generally viewed as a clear notch better than the likes of Hotpoint, Whirlpool etc.
 Indy 19 Jul 2014
In reply to simon1985:

Whats the warranty on it? Miele like Apple has a very loud mouth when it comes to trumpeting its own greatness I prefer to see them back it up with a good long warranty rather than hot air.
 Blue Straggler 19 Jul 2014
> Salesman at Curry's told us that Miele were worth the extra "because if used properly it might last five or six years..."

Does "properly" mean "sparingly"?

My £200 LG thing has lasted 10 years, but then I do live alone and don't wash clothes until the stench offends even me
Post edited at 19:42
 wbo 19 Jul 2014
In reply to Timmd: your parents machine would have a metal drum.

mattrm 19 Jul 2014
In reply to simon1985:

They're good. We've had ours for nearly 10 years now and it's going strong still. It cost around £500 or so. One of the cheaper models, but they're well built and we got a 5 year warranty on it.
 Timmd 19 Jul 2014
In reply to wbo:
Yes, it did have a metal drum, it was the drum bearings which went in the end, hopefully it was taken to be reconditioned. It was only a Hotpoint too.
Post edited at 19:54
 Roguevfr 19 Jul 2014
In reply to simon1985:
Miele are offering a 10 year warranty on some models at the moment.
Post edited at 19:58
 Philip 19 Jul 2014
Watching with intrigue as our cheap zanussi was bought 8 years ago and is still going despite hard use. No replacement parts and it's never failed us. But we might leave it behind when we move, I've offered it, and if so I need a new on Wednesday. Currently looking at Samsung ecoo bubble.
 Greenbanks 19 Jul 2014
In reply to simon1985:

Watch out on the servicing; we've got Miele appliances throughout (kitchen refit so all bought together). They tend to ramp up servicing call out costs beyond the warranty. Our experience is mixed, I must say. But we have found a great local repair man, dependable, reasonably priced and genuine Miele parts. Often the best way forward.
 gethin_allen 19 Jul 2014
In reply to simon1985:

From my parents experience aeg are the best so far. Deathly silent and very efficient. Surprisingly also very expensive and a downside of the silence is that I sometimes try and open the door to put stuff in when it's already running.

Saying this, the Hoover washing machine my mum was given when my sister was born so she could wash dirty nappies lasted 26 years before a part failed and obviously a replacement was no longer available.

I currently have a whirlpool washer that although only three years old and gently used with only me in the house is starting to sound rough.
Removed User 20 Jul 2014
In reply to simon1985:

don't fall for the hype-I did, paid top dollar for one which lasted all of 3 years then blew up (literally) overpriced bollocks,
 Marmoteer 20 Jul 2014
In reply to simon1985:

We bought a Miele washing machine and the guarantee was for 10 years. We have had it for 8 years of heavy use with no issues.

We also bought a dryer with it...this had a fuse issue after about 2 years...despite living abroad, Miele still organised an engineer to replace the fuse.

My experience is that Miele is worth the premium.
 Indy 20 Jul 2014
In reply to Indy:

OK, not on my phone waiting for the other half to get ready for a night out so a fuller answer...

Firstly virtually all the marketing I see for Miele washing machines screams " Designed to last 20 years" if thats the case why are most of the warranties the absolute legal minimum 2 years? Miele also has a dirty little secret regarding its 10 year warranties that it buries in the small print. If you do more than 3 washes a day then your NOT going to get the 10 year warranty. Miele limits the number of wash cycles to 8000 over 10 years and considers anything above this as commercial use thus invalidating the warranty. So those with young children doing multiple washes a day thinking of Miele quality beware.

Secondly Miele also trumpets that it keeps spares for an "industry leading" 15 years rather than 10. So if it needs a repair after 16 then your screwed which makes the designed for 20 years use rather moot.

Regarding repairs you need to know that Miele charge an arm and a leg to get any of its out of warranty machines repaired. I'd even say its touch and go if its not better to buy a new machine rather than get the broken one repaired by Miele. From personal experience I can also tell you that if your machine is 1 day just one day out of warranty then Miele won't touch it with a barge pole.

Look at the wash technology even 10 years ago and compare it to whats on offer now. Now machines use 1/3? the water and energy and have programme specifically for todays fabrics i.e I have a 'Proofing' programme for Gore-Tex. Personally I don't want a machine to last 20 years.

A friend recently bought a range topping Miele W1 and I was quite appalled at the main control dial which looked as if Miele had stolen it from a £1.50 children toy made in China.

So to sum up I would buy a Miele if it was suitably ie. substantially discounted and came with at least a 10 year warranty or I could buy the warranty (which they do sell separately) at a reasonable cost.

Can't understand why people keep comparing a machine they bought 15 years ago and still working to a machine made now..... the economics have changed completely. Whereas in my grannies day you paid 3 months wages for a washing machine and it lasted forever now we've swapped the 3 months wages for 3 days wages and accept that it will only probably last for the 1 year guaranty period.
richyfenn 20 Jul 2014
In reply to Indy:

My inlaws washer looks so old it was probably the first side load machine ever produced. I can't help thinking they would recoup the cost of a new one within a couple of washes
 Root1 20 Jul 2014
In reply to simon1985:

Our Miele washing machine is 19!yrs old still going strong., and its never seen the repair man. We also have a tumbler dryer about 16yr old no problems again. Our miele vacuum is 24yrs old again never been repaired although its a bit battered now.
Recommended by which as providing the most reliable products.
Expensive to buy but normal washers have built in obsolescence hence they break
In reply to simon1985: A general washing machine thought for the wary buyer: check how long it takes to do a wash.

A friend has recently bought a new machine and whilst it uses less water and less energy, it also takes 3 hours to do a wash. That would rule it off my list.

T.

In reply to simon1985:

We got a Miele washer/dryer last year to replace another Miele washer/dryer that lasted about 10 years, before that we had a Bosch. It gets used pretty heavily.

My impression is the mechanics on the Miele machines are very good but they are slipping behind on the electronics. They are extremely quiet, which is important for us since our kitchen is open plan to the living room. They are also physically smaller than some other brands which is the main reason we got another Miele - it had to fit where the previous one went.

The new one has had the service guy out twice in the last year to fix a thermostat. No charge because it is in warranty and very prompt service. But it wrecked an expensive pair of outdoor trousers and a fleece by overheating them while drying to the point laminated joints failed.

When they go out of warrant getting them fixed by Miele is a big fraction of a new machine. That's why we bought the new one.

I think they are good, definitely better than the Bosch we had before. However, not as good as they make out and probably not good enough to justify the price difference in most cases. The compelling factors for us were the physical dimensions and the quietness.

Indy 20 Jul 2014
In reply to Root1:

> Our Miele washing machine is 19!yrs old still going strong., and its never seen the repair man. We also have a tumbler dryer about 16yr old no problems again. Our miele vacuum is 24yrs old again never been repaired although its a bit battered now.

> Recommended by which as providing the most reliable products.

> Expensive to buy but normal washers have built in obsolescence hence they break

You sound like a Miele rep

A quick google shows that a modern tumble dryer would be around 50% more efficient than a 15 year old one and that assumes that your spinning at 1400rpm before adding to the dryer which I'm not certain a 19 year old Miele would be able to do.

I have a photo of a pair of washing machines sat side by side in Curry's 1 a Panasonic the other a Miele. The odd thing about it is that the features are identical and both have a 5 year warranty but the thing is the Miele is exactly DOUBLE the price.

Panasonic NA-168VG4 (£549 but now on sale for £479)

Miele W5872 (no longer a current model but last RRP was £1099)

How does your gushing praise of Miele square the circle on that?

If the Miele breaks down after 5 years and 1 day your screwed. It has to last 10 years just to break even with the Panasonic.

Reality is that the people making the money here is Miele and the consumer is left crossing their fingers hoping.
 gethin_allen 20 Jul 2014
In reply to Indy:

£1099 for a washing machine!!! I paid £189 for my whirlpool that's done 3 years so even if it broke now I could buy 5 replacements that overall would probably last longer than one posh machine.
 Timmd 20 Jul 2014
In reply to simon1985:
Has anybody any experience of buying reconditioned washing machines?
Post edited at 12:51
 Indy 20 Jul 2014
In reply to gethin_allen:

> £1099 for a washing machine!!! I paid £189 for my whirlpool that's done 3 years so even if it broke now I could buy 5 replacements that overall would probably last longer than one posh machine.

I've got a cousin like that!
£1099 for a Miele is mid range from what I can see.
 Bruce Hooker 20 Jul 2014
In reply to simon1985:

My mother had a Miele machine, it was pretty good although when you did need spares you had to travel to get them... As said it had a metal outer drum, but not stainless so it rusted through! It probably did this after 20 or so years though.

Our latest purchase was a Samsung which seems very good, virtually noiseless even for spinning and it automatically shortens the cycle when it weighs how much it has been loaded with. It has some kind of bubble system which seems to work although no objective scientific studies have been carried out lots of nice little lights and beeps too.
In reply to Blue Straggler:

> ...... but then I do live alone and don't wash clothes until the stench offends even me

Effect and cause?
 Rob Exile Ward 20 Jul 2014
In reply to Bruce Hooker:

Oh dear, Bruce, second time this year I've had to agree with you.

I agree, Samsung seem to be very good. Can't believe I'm spending Sunday afternoon discussing washing machines, however...
 Root1 20 Jul 2014
In reply to Indy:

Its not gushing praise. Its fact.

If a miele needs a repair you get a local repair guy to get the parts and fit them. Junking a machine because its expensive is nuts and certainly not green.
Not only that you have the sale of goods act. If miele expect 10yrs minimum from their machines then the sale of goods act would suggest you can get a free repair.
I have done this several times with items out of guarantee including an £800 refund for a faulty car.
 Bruce Hooker 20 Jul 2014
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

At least we agree on the essentials.

> Can't believe I'm spending Sunday afternoon discussing washing machines

It's called age, and in my case it's been pissing down this afternoon.
 Indy 20 Jul 2014
In reply to Root1:

> If a miele needs a repair you get a local repair guy to get the parts and fit them. Junking a machine because its expensive is nuts and certainly not green.

> Not only that you have the sale of goods act. If miele expect 10yrs minimum from their machines then the sale of goods act would suggest you can get a free repair.

My sister has a Miele and it went wrong no problem call the Miele repairman. First available appointment in a week. Once diagnosed the new part the main control board took another week to get and fit. Interestingly the part was nearly 50% of the cost of a new machine. A local independent said it was a royal bugger getting Miele parts. There are also quite a few other similar experiences floating around internet forums.

The "designed to last X years" is pure Apple type marketing. As marketing claims are so tightly regulated you can look back into how Miele is able to make the claim and its NOT what most people would expect. Miele actually test the machine for 7300 cycles. Notice its under 8000 as anything above this invalidated the guaranty as Miele considers that to be commercial use. They then extrapolate that into 1 wash a day (the minimum they could reasonably get a way with) which comes to as just over 20 years use. So if you do 2 washes a day its only designed to last 10 years but that doesn't sound as good as 20 years.

With regards the SOGA I doubt you'd have a leg to stand on as its a claim not a contractual term

I'd still stick with my original advice and say if you can get a substantial discount on the machine and get a 10 year warranty thrown in for little/no cost then a Miele might be the way to go but at full price with a 2 year warranty?? just tattoo mug on your forehead.
 deepsoup 20 Jul 2014
In reply to wbo:
A metal drum is a luxury item now? Jeez.

My ancient Hotpoint washing machine needs a minor repair but I was thinking about replacing it. You've nipped that nonsense in the bud, thanks, I'll fix it again.
 Coel Hellier 20 Jul 2014
In reply to Indy:

> Miele also has a dirty little secret regarding its 10 year warranties that it buries in the small print.
> If you do more than 3 washes a day then your NOT going to get the 10 year warranty. Miele limits the
> number of wash cycles to 8000 over 10 years ...

Well, you know, that sounds pretty reasonable to me. Is 3 cycles a day anything like normal, even for a large family with small children?
 Indy 20 Jul 2014
In reply to Coel Hellier:

> Well, you know, that sounds pretty reasonable to me. Is 3 cycles a day anything like normal, even for a large family with small children?

Check out Mums.net and there are people who are doing 6+ a day.

Apparently UK average is 168 washes per person per year so for a 4 person family its more than 1 a day.
 gethin_allen 20 Jul 2014

> Well, you know, that sounds pretty reasonable to me. Is 3 cycles a day anything like normal, even for a large family with small children?

I was thinking the same, just for myself I do 2-3 big washes a week on average (depends if beds are changed) so 3 a day is going for it a bit.
 gethin_allen 20 Jul 2014
In reply to Indy:

> Check out Mums.net and there are people who are doing 6+ a day.

> Apparently UK average is 168 washes per person per year so for a 4 person family its more than 1 a day.

I must be a bit of a minger with my mere 130 ish washes per annum.
 tlm 20 Jul 2014

Blimy! We do one wash a week for two,people!
 Timmd 20 Jul 2014
In reply to tlm:

Mine is about one a week for me, or it's two in a week with a week's gap.

I've been thinking I could probably fit more in.
 Timmd 20 Jul 2014

Even with three boys to look after my mum never did 3 washes a day.

It would have driven her mad apart from anything else, my mind boggles at 21 washes a week.

Perhaps I'm easily boggled. ()
Post edited at 23:42
Jim C 20 Jul 2014

> Salesman at Curry's told us that Miele were worth the extra "because if used properly it might last five or six years..."

My cousin is a salesman , it seems to me, he says nice things / recommends about the goods that give him the best commission, or the reps give out the best freebies.

( I could be a tad cynical, but then I have been in Procurement 40 years and have been offered all sorts of stuff, and almost every time a salesman moves to another company , the new company is the best company selling the best products he has ever worked for

Caveat emptor
 Rob Exile Ward 21 Jul 2014
In reply to Timmd:

I suspect the sort of person who does 3 washes a day is the sort of person that buys a Miele washing machine...
In reply to simon1985:

I worked for an FMCG company in their R&D which used a full range of machines constantly for 8 hours, 5 days a week.

The Miele performed the best in terms of durability and wash performance.
 Philip 21 Jul 2014
I've decided to go with an LG. The Miele seem expensive. LG are offering 10 year warranty on the direct drive, 2 on other bits. Another option for you maybe?
 Philip 21 Jul 2014

> I must be a bit of a minger with my mere 130 ish washes per annum.

The plural of anus is anuses not annum.
 Blue Straggler 21 Jul 2014
In reply to Turdus torquatus:

> Effect and cause?

I was wondering if anyone would make that connection!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...