UKC

Attitudes to differences of opinion on UKC.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 NigeR 23 Jul 2014
Firstly, I'm new to UKC, so if any of this has been discussed before, accept my apologies. Also, if I've posted it in the wrong section, then apologies again.

Secondly, I haven't been out climbing for over 25 years - though I want to start again, hence joining UKC - so I am slightly out of touch here.

I've been reading many of the threads, and it's nice to see that some things haven't changed - grade arguments, what constitutes an onsight, bolts, Three Pebble Slab etc.

But what I've noticed most, is the level of aggression and vitriol when there's a difference of opinion on something.

Debate, disagreement, arguments, barracking have always been a healthy and often highly entertaining part of climbing as I recall, but there was usually humour and warmth underpinning things, and at the end of the day, I don't recall it ever being taken too seriously.

So are the 'discussions' on UKC reflective of modern day climbing attitudes, or is it just typical of an internet forum, where because you aren't face to face, you can behave in a different, more provocative manner, than you would in person?

seankenny 23 Jul 2014
In reply to NigeR:

You're nice now. Give it a few months on here and you won't be. You'll look back at this post and wonder at your naivety.
 The New NickB 23 Jul 2014
In reply to NigeR:

UKC is actually pretty tame compared to a lot of forums. It has a broad user base, so attracts its share of difficult personalities, but is generally pretty friendly. The 3PS thing is a bit of an in joke.
 d_b 23 Jul 2014
In reply to seankenny:

Or just learn not to post. I suspect most of the likeable people just lurk.
OP NigeR 23 Jul 2014
In reply to The New NickB:
> UKC is actually pretty tame compared to a lot of forums. It has a broad user base, so attracts its share of difficult personalities, but is generally pretty friendly. The 3PS thing is a bit of an in joke.

Thanks for the heads up.

I always thought 3PS was HVS - have I now committed a faux pas on the in joke?
Post edited at 16:52
 dagibbs 23 Jul 2014
In reply to NigeR:

Online forums (here and elsewhere, on this topic and others) are reflective of online forums, and rarely of face-to-face interactions.
OP NigeR 23 Jul 2014
In reply to seankenny:

> You're nice now. Give it a few months on here and you won't be. You'll look back at this post and wonder at your naivety.

I hope not.
 Siward 23 Jul 2014
In reply to NigeR:

Welcome. UKC is a great place and a source of endless knowledge.

Its also the source of endless opinions which, as you suggest, are easily given from the safety of armchairs without the moderating effect of having to speak to somebody face to face. But the angry folk are generally the same ones who keep coming back and are, I think, over represented by the fact that they post more and make more of an impact when they do.

The other 90% are lovely folk. 9 out of ten of the angry ones are probably nice really
OP NigeR 23 Jul 2014
In reply to Siward:

> Welcome. UKC is a great place and a source of endless knowledge.

> Its also the source of endless opinions which, as you suggest, are easily given from the safety of armchairs without the moderating effect of having to speak to somebody face to face. But the angry folk are generally the same ones who keep coming back and are, I think, over represented by the fact that they post more and make more of an impact when they do.

> The other 90% are lovely folk. 9 out of ten of the angry ones are probably nice really

I'll try and stick to my principal of only saying online what I would say to someones face - at least while I'm still naive regarding UKC.
 ByEek 23 Jul 2014
In reply to NigeR:

There is nothing new. These sort of threads have been popping up on here for the last 10 years I have been posting. Yes, people can get a little heated. I came unstuck quite a few times in the early years. Climbers are an odd bunch and that is probably demonstrated on these forums. If nothing else, people are certainly forthright on here which is much more interesting that the soppy gush spouted on other forums.

I wouldn't let it wind you up.
 spartacus 23 Jul 2014
In reply to NigeR:
I agree that climbing and the fun and banter have not changed much.

Internet forums seem to promote arguments that would never exist in face to face conversations. The problem seems to be the lack of restraint because of the anonymity of the internet. Also if 1000 people read thread 1of 2 will have strong alternative views.

The vast majority are unheard.
Post edited at 16:55
 Steve nevers 23 Jul 2014
In reply to NigeR:

Often seems to be the same people stirring the point.

Also often seems that the same people find themselves unable to validate their view points so they reach for the big guns and call someone a prick.
OP NigeR 23 Jul 2014
In reply to Steve nevers:

> Often seems to be the same people stirring the point.

> Also often seems that the same people find themselves unable to validate their view points so they reach for the big guns and call someone a prick.

Isn't that actually a little gun?
 seankenny 23 Jul 2014
In reply to NigeR:

> I hope not.

I used to think I was a nice man. Then I started posting on here. Oh, the freedom to abuse strangers! So intoxicating. It's brought out a side of me I didn't know existed.

Take care. Walk away. Walk away now. To the Other Place. It's a bit more polite over there.
 Blue Straggler 23 Jul 2014
In reply to seankenny:

> naivety.

Oh please. I know it's "accepted" in non-discerning circles but we are trying to keep a certain standard here.

"Naïveté" if you please.

You are rubbish!
 Steve nevers 23 Jul 2014
In reply to NigeR:

> Isn't that actually a little gun?

Well, its usually deployed with the bravado of someone holding a royal flush but typically their argument has been outreasoned.

Throw in a comment about beards/bolts/shirts off depending on what type of climbing they think someone prefers and thats how most 'debate' threads end up.
 seankenny 23 Jul 2014
In reply to Blue Straggler:

> Oh please. I know it's "accepted" in non-discerning circles but we are trying to keep a certain standard here.

> "Naïveté" if you please.

> You are rubbish!

I am, I am!

I can't navigate my keyboard.
 Timmd 23 Jul 2014
In reply to NigeR:

I agree about UKClimbing, singletrackworld.com is friendlier seeming to me than this site is.

I think it's partly the internet, and partly it's the personalities of the people who seem to 'get stuck in' on here, too.

It takes no effort to have a modicum of civility.
 Trangia 23 Jul 2014
In reply to NigeR:

Another problem is that people tend to take statements literally. We can't see each other's eyes and facial expressions, so tongues in cheeks are often missed.....
OP NigeR 23 Jul 2014
In reply to Trangia:

> Another problem is that people tend to take statements literally. We can't see each other's eyes and facial expressions, so tongues in cheeks are often missed.....

Yes, the same line can be delivered giving two completely different sentiments in the 'physical' world, but not so easy with a keyboard.

I suppose the trick could be, either make sure you use the words that can get the sentiment over adequately avoiding misinterpretation, or choose a different set of words?
 Firestarter 23 Jul 2014
In reply to NigeR:

http://www.mountainproject.com/v/is-mp-the-worst-thing-that-has-ever-happen...

Not just a UKC problem! The 'chalkboard' image about half-way down sums it up but be aware this is the Rocktalk Forum, and there is strong language in the link.
OP NigeR 23 Jul 2014
In reply to Firestarter:

> Not just a UKC problem! The 'chalkboard' image about half-way down sums it up but be aware this is the Rocktalk Forum, and there is strong language in the link.

Excellent. Hasn't the internet done wonders for mankind's cerebral development?
 spartacus 23 Jul 2014
In reply to Firestarter:
I agree the Chalkboard analogy sums it up perfectly.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...