UKC

Great Commonwealth moments

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SFM 23 Jul 2014
youtube.com/watch?v=M21ga9-xJrg&

and the Olympic version here
youtube.com/watch?v=rpLaeh5RTMY&

what's yours?
 The New NickB 24 Jul 2014
In reply to SFM:

One of the greatest of all time, at her best. I was in the stadium.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lq3XOzWhD2w&feature=youtube_gdata_player
 Hat Dude 24 Jul 2014
In reply to SFM:

Here's a genuine one.

Ian Stewart winning the 5000 metres in 1970

youtube.com/watch?v=yaxuTomjkmo&
OP SFM 26 Jul 2014
In reply to Hat Dude:

what an incredible race!
OP SFM 26 Jul 2014
In reply to The New NickB:

must have been an amazing atmosphere! But why was she wearing swimming goggles
 The New NickB 26 Jul 2014
In reply to SFM:

> must have been an amazing atmosphere! But why was she wearing swimming goggles

It was fantastic, yes those glasses are a bit odd.

I bought the tickets specifically to watch Radcliffe, but it was also the second day of the Decathlon and we also saw my Dad's cousin's husband win a bronze for Scotland.
Jim C 26 Jul 2014
In reply to SFM:

Probably almost anything that was won before everyone was a professional athlete .

The technology ; science and sponsorship has left me behind.
I used to be quite interested / when I was young ( 60/70's) but much less so these days, and less every year.
(It is similar to the way F1 has gone, I used to watch motor sports a lot, but almost never now)

I do find myself willing on, and being more impressed those athletes from the smaller poorer nations, who are more akin to the ethos that I hanker for, but that is all but gone too.

Cycling, and the Armstrong effect is now zero interest from me.

Yep I'm an old fart.
 Banned User 77 26 Jul 2014
In reply to Jim C:

Check out Steve Way..

English marathon runner, 40 year old, was 16 stone, overweight, drinker smoker.. still has a full time job, runs 130 mile a week, just broke the UK 100km record, just after running 2:16 and qualifying for the Commonwealths.. only took up running in his 30's…

Massively impressive..
 The New NickB 26 Jul 2014
In reply to IainRUK:

> Check out Steve Way..

> English marathon runner, 40 year old, was 16 stone, overweight, drinker smoker.. still has a full time job, runs 130 mile a week, just broke the UK 100km record, just after running 2:16 and qualifying for the Commonwealths.. only took up running in his 30's…

62 miles at 6:04 mile pace. I met him last week, he did Heaton parkrun on his way up to Glasgow.
 Banned User 77 27 Jul 2014

Its incredible at the moment the UK ultra scene. Steve's blown everyone away of course, but even beyond him we now have a good number of very good trail and road ultra runners, some pretty much under the radar.. but look at the WHW this year. Records will tumble over the coming few years.

Steve's time was also not on the quickest of courses and without competition.. I just hope the world 100k's happen because he could produce something super special, it could be a film.

Not sure whether to go to bed or stay up and watch… I know 3 people in this marathon tomorrow its going to be so good to watch.

I feel for Warburton and Williams, they have f*cked up but I do think they trusted the supplements. I know we condemn other nations and claim ours clean but I do think sometimes a bad batch happens..

They should get bans as they have a banned substance in them, unless the B test clears them, but the guys haven't had stand out seasons so there's been nothing suspicious in that sense.
 Indy 27 Jul 2014
In reply to SFM:

> and the Olympic version here

Wow aren't the times slow compared to what we'd expect from todays runners and dare I say it white faces in a 100m final!

For me the Paula Radcliffe 2003 marathon world record was pretty inspirational even if her behaviour subsequently left a lot to be desired.
Post edited at 08:04
 The New NickB 27 Jul 2014
In reply to Indy:

> For me the Paula Radcliffe 2003 marathon world record was pretty inspirational even if her behaviour subsequently left a lot to be desired.

What behaviour?
 Al Evans 27 Jul 2014
In reply to Indy:

I can't imagine Paula to be anything less than charming (unless she was absolutely knackered).
In reply to IainRUK:

10th for Steve Way, PB of 2:15 and a British V40 marathon record!
In reply to Al Evans:

> I can't imagine Paula to be anything less than charming (unless she was absolutely knackered).

Absolutely lovely the two times I have met her.
 Indy 27 Jul 2014
Never met her in person but I'm sure she's wonderful.

I'm referring to the 2012 Olympics. I know its easy to say in hindsight but even at the time I thought the right thing for her to do was to step aside but she didn't. Seemed more of an ego thing.
Post edited at 12:13
In reply to Indy:
More that she genuinely thought she would be fit, maybe her judgement was wrong, but the selectors would have wanted to give her as long as possible, nice as it would have been for someone else, I am not sure they could have, they had 4 including Radcliffe. Louise Damen would be the obvious next choice, but her PB is 2:30:00. I'm not sure what rule allowed them to have 4 athletes, I'm pretty sure no other country did.
Post edited at 12:41
 Indy 27 Jul 2014

I have no doubt that she thought she'd be fit but I don't accept the 'genuinely' bit. I think the selectors were under pressure to select her because of who she was and by the very nature of competition PR was never going to be able to take and objective decision and walk away. That combination cost somebody a place. Jo Pavey should have got the nod IMHO.

When its come to PR its always been a roller coaster ride.
UK Athletics head coach said at the time....
"Paula is a 38-year-old athlete. She is never 14 days without a problem. I can give you an update today, I'll meet you tomorrow and it will have changed"

In reply to Indy:
She either thought should would be fit or she wouldn't, your "genuinely" assertion is just bollocks

Jo Pavey who ran in the 5,000m and 10,000m and could have run as she had a faster time than Claire Hallissey who was on the team.

In fact GB had a team of three, the maximum the rules allow. Hallissey, Mara Yamauchi and Freya Murray.
Post edited at 13:58
In reply to Indy:

> That combination cost somebody a place.

A little research confirmed what I suspected, Radcliffe's late withdrawal did not cost anyone a place in the Olympic Marathon. Freya Murray was the reserve and was brought in to the team when Radcliffe withdrew.
 Enty 27 Jul 2014
In reply to SFM:

For me the greatest Commonwealth games moment was in 2002 when the Kenyan cycling team rode up the M62 and the M61 to get to the road race circuit in Horwich.

E
Indy is talking rubbish…

It was won in 2:23..

Radcliffe was a 2:15 runner, we had to give her every opportunity, 38 isn't too old. Even a 90% fit radcliffe could pull out a sub 2:25.

Her body fell apart from the huge hard training load, rather than attack her for it we should love that woman for being the greatest british female athlete of all time. Yet typically for Britain we loved to turn on her later on..

She eaked every bit of talent out of her body through tremendous training. Quite an incredible woman.
Post edited at 15:40
 Indy 27 Jul 2014
In reply to IainRUK:

> Indy is talking rubbish…
Yet typically for Britain we loved to turn on her later on..

> She eaked every bit of talent out of her body through tremendous training. Quite an incredible woman.

As I said her 2003 London marathon win was truly inspirational but I standby my comments about her behaviour regarding her participation in the Olympics..... all of them.

In 2012 she admitted that she hadn't been 100% fit since 2010. The only race she did in 2012 was a hugely disappointing 1/2 marathon yet TeamGB caved in despite her being injured she kept insisting that she could run the marathon. Surprise surprise she pulled out days before giving her replacement less than a weeks notice. Freya Murray not surprisingly had a poor run coming in well behind her PB despite the occasion.

Go back to Beijing 2008 and PR had a leg stress fractures. A replacement was flown out from the UK to Beijing but PR insisted she could run. TeamGB caved in and allowed her to run. She finished in 23rd place having been hugely affected by the injury.

Go back to Greece 2004 she again had an injury. She didn't tell the team doctors about it but the medicine she took gave her violent cramps which effectively ended her race. Who can forget her sat on the curb in tears.

I'm sure you and others see that as heroic I see it as selfish. The heroic thing for PR to have done would have been to have stood aside unfortunately for PR its always been me, me, me.
In reply to Indy:

She's an athlete.. selfishness is what makes her so good, 100% dedication, she knows her body, she knew she could run 2:15, noone has been near her. Very few marathons are won under 2:20..

I had a hamstring issue before last years world champs.. there was no chance in the world I was letting anyone in the GB camp know.. I was pretty sure I'd be OK and managed to get a nerve freed up which let my stride get back to normal. But yeah I'd worked for a good few years towards that and I was going to be totally selfish.. Olympics come around much less, I'd

Even half fit she's better than anyone else we had, she was our only chance of a medal. That is how GB work. They don't send people to fill a race.

Look at the UK all times list.. she is a country mile better than anyone.. almost a minute/mile..

Aye, she cried when she had a bad race.. shoot her for it… FFS

Mentioning Beijing highlights your ignorance. She ran 2:32.. she wasn't last in the GB team, it was won in 2:26… Hayley Haining was a 2:30 marathoner.. she wasn't a medal contender. That was 2:29 in London.. not in Beijing where most people run slower in championships due to tactical racing, plus massive humidity at Beijing on race day.. In November 2008, 3 months after the olympics, Radcliffe ran 2:23 and won in NY while Haining ran 2:35.. Radcliffe had won major marathons.

Beijing was 88% humdity, there was very little chance Haining would have ran sub 2:35 there.. the only realistic shot was Radlcliffe. Yelling was 5 minutes slower than London. Mara was the closest.

MARATHON - I think these are out of date as Mara has ran quicker.. but shows how much Paula was ahead of her peers...
2:15:25 Paula Radcliffe (ENG) 17.12.73 1 London 13 Apr 2003
2:17:18 1 Chicago IL, USA 13 Oct 2002
2:17:42 1 London 17 Apr 2005
2:18:56 1 London 14 Apr 2002
2:20:57 1 Helsinki, FIN 14 Aug 2005
2:23:10 1 New York NY, USA 7 Nov 2004
2:25:13 Mara Yamauchi (ENG) 13.08.73 6 London 23 Apr 2006
2:27:38 5 Tokyo, JPN 20 Nov 2005
2:25:56 Véronique Marot (ENG<FRA) 16.09.55 1 London 23 Apr 1989
2:28:04 5 Chicago IL, USA 20 Oct 1985
2:30:15 3 London 10 May 1987
2:30:16 1 Houston TX, USA 15 Jan 1989
2:30:55 1 Houston TX, USA 20 Jan 1991
2:26:51 Priscilla Welch (ENG) 22.11.44 2 London 10 May 1987
2:28:54 6 Los Angeles CA, USA 5 Aug 1984
2:30:06 2 London 13 May 1984
2:30:17 1 New York NY, USA 1 Nov 1987
2:30:48 4 Hopkinton-Boston MA, USA 18 Apr 1988
2:26:52 Liz McColgan (SCO) 24.05.64 2 London 13 Apr 1997
2:26:54 2 London 26 Apr 1998
2:27:32 1 New York NY, USA 3 Nov 1991
2:27:38 1 Tokyo, JPN 15 Nov 1992
2:27:54 1 London 21 Apr 1996
2:29:37 3 London 18 Apr 1993
2:30:32 7 Tokyo, JPN 19 Nov 1995
2:30:50 3 Tokyo, JPN 17 Nov 1996
2:28:06 Sarah Rowell (ENG) 19.11.62 2 London 21 Apr 1985
2:28:38 Sally-Ann Hales (ENG>SCO) 17.07.61 3 London 21 Apr 1985
2:28:39 Kathy Butler (SCO<CAN) 22.10.73 9 Chicago IL, USA 22 Oct 2006
2:30:01 7 Chicago IL, USA 9 Oct 2005
2:28:42 Marian Sutton (ENG) 7.10.63 7 Chicago IL, USA 24 Oct 1999
2:29:03 1 Chicago IL, USA 19 Oct 1997
2:30:41 1 Chicago IL, USA 20 Oct 1996
2:29:29 Sally Eastall (ENG) 5.01.63 1 Folsom-Sacramento CA, USA 8 Dec 1991 10
2:29:43 Joyce Smith (ENG) 26.10.37 1 London 9 May 1982
2:29:57 1 London 29 Mar 1981
2:30:27 1 Tokyo, JPN 16 Nov 1980
2:29:47 Paula Fudge (ENG) 30.03.52 3 Chicago IL, USA 30 Oct 1988
In reply to Indy:
" Freya Murray not surprisingly had a poor run coming in well behind her PB despite the occasion. "

That's what happens in championship marathons… look at the world and olympic marathon champ, his PB is off the top guys but he's a great tactical racer..

Look at Mo Farah's winning times.. in the sprints it's a flat out race, distance running is often tactical packs, sizing each other up, covering breaks for a good 20-25 k. Times are often poor.

Paula was undoutably right in 2008 to run, she was so close to being fit.. hence winning NY 3 months later.
Post edited at 19:57
In reply to IainRUK:

You don't have to tell me Iain.
In reply to Indy:

> As I said her 2003 London marathon win was truly inspirational but I standby my comments about her behaviour regarding her participation in the Olympics..... all of them.

So who missed out, it wasn't Pavey, she was running the 5,000m and 10,000m. It wasn't Freya Murray, she ran.

> Freya Murray not surprisingly had a poor run coming in well behind her PB despite the occasion.

Plenty of people didn't get close to their PB. Ask Andrew Lemoncello, or indeed the 2:03-2:05 Kenyans who got beat by a 2:08 man.

The accusation you have made has been proven to be bollocks.
 Indy 27 Jul 2014
> The accusation you have made has been proven to be bollocks.

I haven't made any accusations I've merely stated my opinion which after skimming some internet running/athletic forums is far from an unpopular point of view.

>Paula was undoutably right in 2008 to run, she was so close to being fit.. hence winning NY 3 months later.

Close, hey? makes you wonder if the 2008 Olympics were really the priority or if the eyes were on the prize in New York which netted PR over $750k in appearances fees and prize money. Winning or placing in an Olympic marathon gets you what financially?

BTW Pavey did the 5k and 10k because she missed out on marathon selection
Post edited at 23:04
In reply to Indy:

I thought it was Hayley Haining? According to power of 10 Pavey didn't run a marathon until after 2008… and her only marathon was a 2:28's in 2011 that probably wouldn't have qualified her as I thought they had to be 2012 runs for GB selection.

Saying that NY was her focus is just astonishing.. one minute she's selfish the next its just a stepping stone? Why was she crying unconsolably?

Winning an olympic marathon? For her it was never financial.

You are being quite nasty about her, quite disgusting views to hold. Its quite typical of the ignorant opinionated british public with her.. very disappointing.
 Indy 27 Jul 2014
In reply to IainRUK:
It does seem rather strange though don't you think?

PR was injured to the point that she finished 23rd in the Beijing Olympic marathon yet was able within a few months able to not only get fully fit but negotiate her entry into and appearance fees for the New York marathon and then quite astonishingly win the race for a $750k payday.

You need to make your mind up one minute your saying selfish and me me me is good for an athlete next your saying its bad when PR needs to win some money to pay the bills.
Post edited at 23:38
 lowersharpnose 28 Jul 2014
In reply to Indy:

PR was injured to the point that she finished 23rd in the Beijing Olympic marathon yet was able within a few months able to not only get fully fit but negotiate her entry into and appearance fees for the New York marathon and then quite astonishingly win the race for a $750k payday.

What is your point?

Are you criticizing her for being injured or for recovering from injury and running well?
Jim C 28 Jul 2014
In reply to IainRUK:

> Check out Steve Way..

> English marathon runner, 40 year old, was 16 stone, overweight, drinker smoker.. still has a full time job, runs 130 mile a week, just broke the UK 100km record, just after running 2:16 and qualifying for the Commonwealths.. only took up running in his 30's…

> Massively impressive..

Fantastic story, and more interesting than some sponsored superstar winning/ losing .

Here is another one.

"However, the biggest cheer of the day came when the 17-year-old Rosefelo Siosi from the Solomon Islands came home in 16min 55.33sec,( 5000m) a national record.
Siosi, who was lapped three times, has won his country’s sportsman of the year award multiple times. Yesterday a standing ovation was his sole consolation."

And the only Brunei athlete, who had never been a a velodrome.

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/cycling-games-bruneis-abd-aziz-enjoying...

Banned User 77 28 Jul 2014
In reply to Indy:

She didn't need to win.. she was made by then.. also an olympic win is worth far more in sponsorship.. actual race winnings are only a small part of the prize money for elite marathoners.

I've a fair few fully sponsored mates.. having exposure is far more beneficial and the olympics gives you that. She'd won many city marathons.. never an olympic gold..
In reply to Indy:

She ran Beijint 80% fit.. on her way back from the May injury.. that run added quality work to her november peak, one of her last good runs.

She will race again.

Look at Liz yelling on Power of 10.. I love these people, they love running. Liz just had kids and is only doing park runs, she started with a 40 min 5k.. and is back to low 18's.. marathoners love running.
In reply to Jim C:

Haven't seen that, some great stories. I knew 3 runners in it today, Jo from Scotland, she is so so nice, a Dr, Andy Davies in Wales, qualified running a negative split.. made it by a few seconds, and Steve.

Jo actually missed the team qualifying time in seville marathon, she fell at the start and was ran over, broke her nose and rib, and still ran the actual qualifying time but was 4th fastest so missed out but got called up late. Such a gutsy woman. Another late entrant to the running world.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/runner-jo-nose-its-worth-31918...
 The New NickB 28 Jul 2014
In reply to Indy:

> I haven't made any accusations I've merely stated my opinion which after skimming some internet running/athletic forums is far from an unpopular point of view.

You have accused her of costing another runner a place at London, this has been shown to be untrue.

> BTW Pavey did the 5k and 10k because she missed out on marathon selection

Pavey was selected for the 5,000m and 10,000m because she is better at those events than the marathon, from memory she was 6th in both. We had half a dozen women with the A standard at the marathon, but only Pavey and Julia Bleasdale for the 2 track distance events.

Your opinions just don't match the facts.
 Al Evans 04 Aug 2014
In reply to IainRUK:

Hey good to see a mention of Veronique Marot, I once ran with her in the Sandbach Marathon and went through 20 miles in my best ever 20 mile time, sub two hours. Veronique went on to win the womens race in a ridiculously fast time, I faded to 3.01.
 The New NickB 04 Aug 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

Sounds like you more than faded Al, 2 hours for 20 miles is 2:37 marathon pace.
 Jim Hamilton 04 Aug 2014
In reply to SFM:

I thought the Jo Pavey race a few days ago was a "Great Commonwealth moment" - She looked as tho she was "toast" a couple of times but managed to claw her way back to get a medal.
 Al Evans 04 Aug 2014

> Sounds like you more than faded Al, 2 hours for 20 miles is 2:37 marathon pace.

Well I never ran much under 2.50 so I guess I was way out of my death, it was just Veroniques bum that kept me hanging on as long as I did.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...