UKC

Women-only parking spaces in China

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-28468868

Wider spaces for female drivers at a shopping mall in China.

This is impressively sexist and wrong, but also quite hilarious. The pink lines are the icing on top.
 Rich K 25 Jul 2014
In reply to Bob_the_Builder:

I saw the same thing in the multi storey car park at Salzburg airport. I'm not sure if they're bigger or just near the exit to make women who are worried about walking through the carpark feel safer.
 Little Brew 25 Jul 2014

Maybe for pregnant Women? i guess getting your bump in and out of a normal space could be an issue?
In reply to Little Brew:

Good thought. I also wonder if, as a shopping centre, they are trying to sell things to women, and then assuming that the women will be carrying more shopping to get into the car.

stp 25 Jul 2014

Perhaps the rational is that men's brains and women's brains are different and that women generally have less spatial awareness. That would imply being less good at parking. (Women's brains are meant to be better at other tasks such as communication and language.) I think there is scientific research that supports these claims but I'm no expert.

There must have been a reason for them to go to the trouble of implementing this policy.
In reply to stp:

If you can't park in a normal space should you really be driving?
 aln 26 Jul 2014

> If you can't park in a normal space should you really be driving?

What size is a normal space?
Moley 26 Jul 2014
In reply to aln:

> What size is a normal space?

11 inches narrower than a womans parking space?
In reply to aln:

Probably about half the size of our normal spaces. =D In the US in some car parks I can have both doors fully open and still be inside the space.
> (In reply to aln)
>
> In the US in some car parks I can have both doors fully open and still be inside the space.

There may be a reason for that.

In reply to stroppygob:

The amazing thing is how many normally proportioned people refuse to park in "compact" spaces even when they are plenty big enough. I would turn up to work an hour late and still get a space right by the door because it was a compact space. Of course my Rav4 still had plenty of room, though sometimes I would find my space taken by people who decided they needed/deserved two spaces.
 tlm 28 Jul 2014
In reply to stp:

> Perhaps the rational is that men's brains and women's brains are different and that women generally have less spatial awareness.

Hmm.... According to some studies there is 1 standard deviation difference, but the validity of this has beeb questioned....

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spatial_visualization_ability#Gender_differe...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...