UKC

Last minute holiday ideas - crags near a beach.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Enty 26 Jul 2014
Wahey!! It looks like we can finally get away in a couple of weeks time.

Here's the criteria:

Somewhere I can get a couple of routes done in the morning (preferably in the shade) then drink mohitos on the beach in the afternoon? Local language must not be french.

I was thinking Calpe, 9/10 hour drive though.

Flights for 3 of us to Kaly are 1000€+ and there are ferry / flight time issues.

Costa Daurada - crags too far from beach?

Any ideas?

Cheers,

E

dsh 26 Jul 2014
In reply to Enty:

The cayman Islands
In reply to Enty:

Malloca?
 stevieb 26 Jul 2014
In reply to Enty:

Is Finale an option?
I've not been but seems to tick a lot of the boxes http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=1493
OP Enty 26 Jul 2014
In reply to dsh:

> The cayman Islands

I'm not allowed back there - cheers.

E
OP Enty 26 Jul 2014
In reply to grumpybearpantsclimbinggoat:

> Malloca?

Ticks all the boxes but I'll be there for 2 weeks in October and a month next March - looking for somewhere different.

E
OP Enty 26 Jul 2014
In reply to stevieb:

> Is Finale an option?

> I've not been but seems to tick a lot of the boxes http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=1493

I looked at Finale, I even asked about it a couple of months ago on here. Someone said forget it in August - packed out?

Cheers everyone.

E
 MaranaF 26 Jul 2014
In reply to Enty:

I have been considering http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=11148 Saltdean, bring your crampons, axes, cool box and beach towel, you wont need the chalk bag.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 26 Jul 2014
In reply to Enty:

Sardinia would tick your boxes, but as everywhere else in the Med it will be hot crowded and expensive!

Chris
OP Enty 26 Jul 2014
In reply to Chris Craggs:

Hey cheers - just been looking at ferries - not cheap but might be a possibility.

What about the climbing?

E
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 26 Jul 2014
In reply to Enty:
The usual Euromix, sharp, bolted sea-side limestone (Cala Gonone in the east has always been popular) plus granite bouldering in the north. The south is supposed to be good too, but not been down there,

Chris
Post edited at 21:39
OP Enty 27 Jul 2014
Is there climbing on Ibiza?

Cheers,

E

john arran 27 Jul 2014
In reply to Enty:

Pembroke
 jimtitt 27 Jul 2014
In reply to Enty:

Swanage
 shantaram 27 Jul 2014
In reply to Enty:

Always thought Croatia looked interesting for coastal sport climbing, but I've never been myself so can't speak from first hand experience. Hopefully someone will come along with some good Croatia beta, but a quick web search shows lots of potential for a good holiday
OP Enty 30 Jul 2014
In reply to Enty:

Thanks everyone.

Holiday now booked. We're off to Ibiza. What I now need to know is is it worth taking my climbing gear?

Cheers,

E
 BnB 30 Jul 2014
In reply to Enty:

With a signature of "E" you should already know the answer to that question
OP Enty 30 Jul 2014
In reply to BnB:

That as well

E
 IPPurewater 30 Jul 2014
In reply to Enty:

http://www.zonasdeescalada.com/

Have a look here Enty. There appear to be 4 places to climb on Ibiza.

Ian
 Blue Straggler 30 Jul 2014
In reply to Enty:

> Thanks everyone.

> Holiday now booked. We're off to Ibiza.

You're going to eat pizza?
youtube.com/watch?v=MXXRHpVed3M&
OP Enty 30 Jul 2014
In reply to IPPurewater:

Cheers, I already found this:

http://climbibiza.wikidot.com/anfi

Downloaded to my tablet - looks good with shady stuff available.

E
OP Enty 30 Jul 2014
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Last time I was there in 95 I didn't eat a thing for a week.

E
 Toerag 30 Jul 2014
In reply to Enty:

There's a guide to Ibiza - Needlesports sell it I think. I have a friend in Formentera if you need a belay bunny/drinking partner?
 pacman 30 Jul 2014
In reply to Enty:

If you can adapt your criteria to routes one week and beach the next then go to Cuba and get your mojitos made properly!
 Becky E 30 Jul 2014
In reply to Enty:

Jersey.

Like being in France, without the foreign language. Beautiful granite. Beaches. Sea food. Sunshine. The best whippy icecreams you'll ever eat.
 Matt Vigg 30 Jul 2014
In reply to Enty:

You could do worse than northern Greece around iraklitsa which is close to kavala, flights should be OK to thessaloniki or you may even be able to fly in to Kavala itself, you'll need a hire car if you fly to thess-niki. There are three good crags 5 mins from the beach in iraklitsa and even a little DWS, also some DWS over on Thassos. Only poss prob is it'll be around 30 degrees but that's manageable if you're keen and get up early, there's also two awesome caves to climb in.

Can give you some more info on routes etc if you want and should be able to hook you up with a local climber or two as well.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 30 Jul 2014
In reply to Enty:
> Thanks everyone.

> Holiday now booked. We're off to Ibiza. What I now need to know is is it worth taking my climbing gear?

> Cheers,

> E

We had a good week there many years ago - in the winter mind - good climbing on a variety of cliffs, including the excellent Buda. It is in one of my ancient Mallorca guidebooks, though I am pretty sure there is a newish local book, I can always photo the pages and e-mail them over if that is any use,

Chris
Post edited at 20:39
OP Enty 13 Aug 2014
In reply to Enty:

Ok, in Ibiza at the moment. Found a good crag called Faders on the NW coast. Shady climbing on big slabs right of the platform but a bit hot on the walk back out. Great rock diving for me and Little Ent.
No climbing today or tomorrow - off To Space and Pacha tonight

E
 seankenny 13 Aug 2014
In reply to Enty:

> No climbing today or tomorrow - off To Space and Pacha tonight

With Little Ent?

OP Enty 13 Aug 2014
In reply to seankenny:

No, over 18's unfortunately but she enjoyed the Bora Bora beach party

E

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...