UKC

Tramlines

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chris the Tall 27 Jul 2014
Int Sheffield brilliant !!!

Loving the festival. Didn't get to see Public Enemy - venue was full - but had a great night at the Leadmill last night Bromheads were excellent - and ended up with the singer crowd surfing to the bar. Always great when you see the band enjoying themselves as much as the audience. PINS were even better - Girls Like Us was electrifying - best thing I've heard live for some time.

Wedding present on Friday were pretty damned good to - worked out that it's over 27 years since I first saw them. Great finish to their set - brass neck, then Kennedy - but their set was a bit too long and dragged in the middle.

What's great about Tramlines is the fact that you have such variety and can just wander round town and dip in and out, with most bands playing fairly short sets and packing a lot in. Last night we started off at the folk forest, and after the Leadmill took in some Afro beats at the millenium galleries. Plenty of bands playing in the various bars on Division street if we had the energy for more.

Plus it's only £28 for the weekend - how does that compare with Glastonbury ? And you can sleep in your own bed rather than camping in a muddy field !

Anyone else enjoying it ?
 Al Evans 27 Jul 2014
In reply to Chris the Tall:

Sounds great Chris if a bit pricy, but I guess that's what you pay for things nowdays. In my youth it was a free festival in Weston Park, all Sheffield bands, top of the bill, Joe Cocker and the Grease Band.
In reply to Al Evans:

A bit pricey !!!!!! Glastonbury costs £210, next week at the Leadmill it's £10 just for an oasis tribute act - tramlines is an absolute bargain.

It did start off as a free festival, with support from the council, but then we had the cutbacks. Plus the music industry has changed - touring used to be a loss leader with the money in record sales, now it's the other way round.

But you only need to pay for the big venues - there's at least a dozen pubs and other venues like endcliffe park where it's still free
 James Malloch 27 Jul 2014

Working in a bar means tramlines sucks. 14 hour days, non-stop, loud bands, and add the heat!

F-ing tramlines. Next year, however, I will enjoy it as a 9-5 droid.

Only slight bonus is the industry after party tonight...

(It is a great festival really, but currently I hate it haha!)
andreas 27 Jul 2014

Absolutely magic set by Public Enemy for me, one of my favourite bands. Throw some mild fungi poisoning into the mix and you get a rare moment of true divinity - if you believe in all that jazz.

At last my dream of being able to stand on Devonshire Green and scream

F*ck Racism!

F*ck Division!

F*ck all this shit going on in Gaza!

realised without getting arrested.

Spent the rest of night in leadmill, really enjoyed all the bands there particularly the last two. Developed two celebrity crushes on the bass player from Pins and the drummer from Girls Like Us. Realised how much better city festivals are than corporate events, £13.20!, I'd pay three times that just to see Public Enemy.

Ears ringin from Bo Ningen !
 climber34neil 28 Jul 2014

Two days chilling at the folk forest , jaipur was very nice although the bar staff could have done with sone customer service training , but otherwise a great weekend, shame I only realised that public enemy were playing after there were no more tickets!
 Simon 28 Jul 2014
In reply to Chris the tall:

I caught the Weddo's too (me? Long time Gedgy naysayer? Yep!) and PINS so should have bumped into you! Highlights for me were Ebsen & the witch, Screamingl Maldini and of course the Cribs. This was the 1st year I wasn't part of Tramlines Crew & it was so nice just to watch the bands & relax. Gutted for Hey Sholay tho, but the weather couldn't have been better !

In reply to climber34neil:

> Two days chilling at the folk forest , jaipur was very nice although the bar staff could have done with sone customer service training

Wasn't impressed with the Festival Ale - presumably Thornbridge. In fact the nearest thing I got to a decent beer all weekend was at the Cathedral ! (bottle of Doom Bar whilst watching Blessa - very good Shoegaze )

But full marks to the VeggieShack at the Folk Forest - excellent food !
 Jackwd 28 Jul 2014

Only managed to see a 4/5 bands yesterday but it was great. Sheffield city centre is nice too, ive driven round the ringroad countless times heading to the Peak but never stopped in the city. I watched Rolo Tomassi and Three Trapped Tigers at Corp then The Cribs, then Toy who were really cool. All in all, good mornings climbing then music in the afternoon/evening, shame I was driving!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...