UKC

daft caddie question about Cloggy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 johnkeith 29 Jul 2014
Hi, I'm planning to spend next week climbing in Snowdonia. I'll probably be staying at Nant Peris opposite the Vaynol Arms. On the map it looks like I could just walk up the steep hillside at Nant Peris and nip over the ridge to pick up the usual approach track from Llanberis to Cloggy, rather than walking or getting a bus into llanberis. Is there some legal access problem with doing this? Or is it just too step and unpleasant to bother with?
Cheers
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 29 Jul 2014
In reply to johnkeith:

The 1st time I went to Cloggy (Easter 1971) we went that way as we were camped at Nant Peris. IIRR it is a grind up to the ridge but reasonably OK as an option. We did White Slab.

Chris
 GridNorth 29 Jul 2014
In reply to johnkeith:

It's not as straight forward as you might think. The usual alternative route is to go part way up the pass as far as the CC hut passing that directly and acsending in the direction of Cwm Glas. Before it gets steep hang a right towards the obvious ridge and follow this. It's a lot harder than the normal approach from Llanberis IMO.
In reply to johnkeith:

That was just the way I visited Cloggy for the first time in early 1969. It's quite steep, but of course we were very fit then, so I really can't remember much about it. I can remember Great Slab (the route we did) quite well, though
 BrainoverBrawn 29 Jul 2014
In reply to johnkeith:

You can nip over at several points, I enjoyed that at the higher point (Clogwyn Station) so you could drop straight in then. It's 150 m descent to the path lower down or 130 m higher up from a quick look at the map.
Jimb
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 29 Jul 2014
In reply to GridNorth:

I am pretty sure we tacked up the ridge above Nant Peris Quarry,

Chris
 Pete Potter 29 Jul 2014
In reply to johnkeith:

By far the easiest way from Nant Peris is to follow the foot path behind the pub,past the playing field and cross the stone bridge, then follow the vague path left, It contours up the hill until you go over a style.
Now now continue along the vague path and keep an eye open for a style going over the large wall on your right. Once over this head up onto the grassy ridge and follow this up the hill reaching a style over the fence at grid SH602575. Now contour left and meet up with the Llanberis path and so on to Cloggy.
This route still climbs a similar height but is far nicer both on ascent and descent and is a better choice for anyone doing the Welsh 1000m route, avoiding the steep descent from Clogwyn Station and the road section of the route.
 mike lawrence? 29 Jul 2014
In reply to johnkeith:

We walked over from the climbers club hut and found it hard work. If I had a car I would now always choose to drive to Llanberis and walk up from there.

mike
 broady 30 Jul 2014
In reply to johnkeith:

i did this a couple of weeks ago. Start from the camp site at Nant Peris, take the foot path at the rear of the pub. follow it across the river then turn right, walk along this until you get to the Llanberis road. Follow the road to Llanberis until a foot path leads off left up a drive to a house. just before the house the path heads off up hill through some trees and picks up the Llanberis path bellow the Half Way House.

I don't think its any quicker or shorter than starting in Llanberis itself but it ment we had some where safe to leave the van with a tent set up ready for our return the following day.
 steveb2006 30 Jul 2014
In reply to Pete Potter:

That looks pretty useful but is your grid ref correct? - that point is just right (east) of a 610 summit (on the ridge) on the 1:25000 map, on quite steep looking ground on the NW side of the ridge. Where abouts do you go over the ridge?
Cheers
Steve

> By far the easiest way from Nant Peris is to follow the foot path behind the pub,past the playing field and cross the stone bridge, then follow the vague path left, It contours up the hill until you go over a style.

> Now now continue along the vague path and keep an eye open for a style going over the large wall on your right. Once over this head up onto the grassy ridge and follow this up the hill reaching a style over the fence at grid SH602575. Now contour left and meet up with the Llanberis path and so on to Cloggy.

> This route still climbs a similar height but is far nicer both on ascent and descent and is a better choice for anyone doing the Welsh 1000m route, avoiding the steep descent from Clogwyn Station and the road section of the route.

steveb2006 30 Jul 2014
In reply to steveb2006:

Sorry meant NE side of ridge.
 Pete Potter 30 Jul 2014
In reply to steveb2006:

I know it looks steep, probably the best thing to do is look up from Gwastadnant at the Llechog ridge and look at the large cwm to its right. On its right had side is an obvious grassy slope or descending ridge. this is what you follow to the top and as I said the hint that you are in the correct place is the style over the fence at the top.
 Misha 31 Jul 2014
In reply to johnkeith:
How about going up Cwm Hetiau? From Nant Peris follow the new pedestrian path along the road until you can take a track that crosses the stream and goes to a couple of houses. Beyond that are the lower reaches of the Cwm. You should be able to pick up a path for most of the way up the Cwm and hardly anyone goes there so definitely gets away from the crowds! From the upper reaches of the Cwm, pick whatever looks like the easiest way up to the ridge. Once on the ridge (you should hit it round about where the path goes under the railway, perhaps slightly higher), you could carry on to the top of the crag and leave your sacks there. That way you will be back at the sacks and sandwiches when you top out on your route! Unless you're doing one of the routes that doesn't go to the top but even then you tend to pop out half way up the Eastern Terrace and it's easy enough to walk up to the sacks. It also means you don't have to walk back up to the ridge at the end of the day.

I should add that I've never been up that way, only down! It's probably pretty physical. The walk up from Ynys (the CC hut) past Cyrn Las is definitely physical but is a great way of getting to Cloggy, taking in fantastic scenery and not too busy. Again, carrying on to the top of the crag makes sense to avoid dropping down and wasting your hard earned altitude metres!
Post edited at 02:23
 Pete Potter 31 Jul 2014
In reply to Misha:

Hi Misha. This is the route that a large number of 1000m people take but to be honest its allot harder both up and down than the route I suggested.
Two other points is why not avoid the road all together if your going to Nant Peris if you can.
The other one is I believe there is no right of way down the track you refer to or past the houses even though some guide books suggest that is the way. Saying that the owners seem ok and don's stop anyone.
 colin harvey 01 Aug 2014
In reply to GridNorth:

as for this description. A bit of a slog, but free of other people and offers great views of the pass. Up over the ridge is lovely and if you can see the station it is easy enough to contour round to it and drop down.
 aln 01 Aug 2014
In reply to johnkeith:

>Is there some legal access problem with doing this?

None of the replies have answered this question by the OP.

OP johnkeith 19 Aug 2014
In reply to johnkeith: Thanks everyone - as the weather was iffy we ended up staying at Tremadog; leaving the car at the 'electrical' museum in Llanberis and walking up the tourist path - easy peasy!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...