UKC

Gold Medals, Commonwealth, Olympics, Worlds etc

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Al Evans 29 Jul 2014
I guess they are not made of solid gold? So anybody know what they are actually made of, presumably some metal coated with gold?
 ebygomm 29 Jul 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

I remember the Bronze medals at the London Olympics were only worth about 3 quid in raw materials (being mostly copper)

Think the golds were gold + silver + copper, silvers are silver + copper and bronzes are copper and zinc
 BigBrother 29 Jul 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

I assumed they were all just coloured foil with chocolate inside.
In reply to Al Evans:

What does it matter?the value and meaning have sod all to do with the price.
andyathome 29 Jul 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

I'd guess most people don't go into an Olympic calculating the scrap value of their medal?
Why are interested? Got one in the attic?
OP Al Evans 29 Jul 2014
In reply to andyathome:

> I'd guess most people don't go into an Olympic calculating the scrap value of their medal?

> Why are interested? Got one in the attic?

No, I just wondered, am I not allowed to do that?
 The New NickB 29 Jul 2014
In reply to nickinscottishmountains:

> What does it matter?the value and meaning have sod all to do with the price.

Out of interest! Doesn't seem like an unreasonable question. Al isn't the only person ever to ask it, otherwise I wouldn't have known the answer.
 stevieb 29 Jul 2014
In reply to Al Evans:
I heard something on the radio that the Commonwealth golds are pure silver then gold plated. I think they were claiming these were the first medals made purely of precious metal in a long time. The last pure gold medals were in about 1900.
Post edited at 20:53
Thickhead 29 Jul 2014
andyathome 29 Jul 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

'Course you are.
In reply to The New NickB:
Well fair enough but what more is the question that you and others ask? What more is there to winning gold or silver or bronze in the commonwealth games? You win gold or silver or bronze and you've won gold or silver or bronze, that's it. Monetary/metal value is irrelevant.
Post edited at 21:09
 Jack B 29 Jul 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

I think Nobel prizes are still made of gold. Not 24 carat, but definitely more than half by weight.

Handy if you ever need to hide one from the Nazis
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_de_Hevesy#World_War_II_and_beyond
Though I guess that trick would work with most metals. It's a cool story though.
Jim C 30 Jul 2014
In reply to Thickhead:
This is interesting too.

At work I drew Singapore, and I get a prize if they are the top medal I winners but that looks unlikely.
However, I was not aware that if their athletes get a CG medal they get £40k
( OG they get a million )

Lots of interesting analysis here.
http://sportsscientists.com/2014/07/commonwealth-calibration/

Listening tonight about Scotland getting more medals than before, it then emerged that there are lots more medals on offer than previously , and also as the home nation, you can apparently cherry pick the events ,so you can select sports that you are strong in,and exclude your weaker sports.

Not then surprising that the home nations do better, maybe not so much to do with the home support as I first thought.
Post edited at 03:06
 The New NickB 30 Jul 2014
In reply to nickinscottishmountains:

You seem bothered by monetary value, nobody else is.
OP Al Evans 04 Aug 2014
In reply to Jim C:

Listening tonight about Scotland getting more medals than before, it then emerged that there are lots more medals on offer than previously , and also as the home nation, you can apparently cherry pick the events ,so you can select sports that you are strong in,and exclude your weaker sports.

So who picked Curling for the winter olympics?
 MG 04 Aug 2014
In reply to The New NickB:

> You seem bothered by monetary value, nobody else is.

Expecting some sort of value in the medals seems reasonable. Yellow plastic tokens wouldn't quite be the same, would they? Not perhaps the monetary value but value as an artistic object.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 04 Aug 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

They had an interview on the radio with the guy that designed the medals for Glasgow, he said they were all made by local jewellers and were all subtly different. The Bronze ones were made from bronze, the Silvers from silver and the Golds from silver with a gold coating,

Chris
 The New NickB 04 Aug 2014
In reply to MG:

Perhaps better directed at the other Nick.
 Lurking Dave 05 Aug 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

For 2012...
"It takes eight tonnes of gold, silver and copper to make the 4,700 Gold, Silver and Bronze Medals for the Games. "

http://www.riotinto.com/fromminetomedal/

Cheers
LD
 goldmember 05 Aug 2014
In reply to Lurking Dave:
Next question, why are running tracks always anticlockwise
August West 06 Aug 2014
In reply to goldmember:

> Next question, why are running tracks always anticlockwise

This link might answer your question:

http://bit.ly/1zSefrB
abseil 06 Aug 2014
In reply to Lurking Dave:

> ..."It takes eight tonnes of gold, silver and copper to make the 4,700 Gold, Silver and Bronze Medals for the Games. "

Errrr thanks but if that's metric tons, and if all that metal went into the medals [PS I didn't read the Rio Tinto link] each one of the 4,700 medals would weigh 1.7 kilos... is there something wrong with my maths?? Errrrr
OP Al Evans 06 Aug 2014
In reply to goldmember:

In the days of ultradistance track races, and I mean ultradistance here, up to 6 day continuous events (rest the sabbath), the direction was changed every so many laps so one leg was not stressed more than another.
In reply to goldmember:
> (In reply to Lurking Dave)

not in the southern hemisphere
OP Al Evans 06 Aug 2014
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

I think they do?
OP Al Evans 06 Aug 2014
In reply to Al Evans:
Incidently the record for a six day race is held by an Attercliffe lad (Sheffield) from 1888. despite many more recent attempts to beat his distance (set at Madison Square Gardens) it remains at 623.75 miles.
His name was George Littlewood.
Post edited at 09:10

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...