UKC

Joy Division

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 31 Jul 2014
Radio 6 just played '24 Hours' by Joy Division

Brilliant. While there are other acts as good, there are none better.

I need to restock my vinyl.
 veteye 31 Jul 2014
In reply to Flinticus:

Was it them that did the Purcell song as well?
 aln 31 Jul 2014
In reply to Flinticus:

They are indeed exceptional and 24hours is one of my favourites. One of the bands I regret never seeing live. I have three of their albums on vinyl, Unknown Pleasures, Closer, and the compilation album Still, in a lovely hardback style thing with a ribbon down the back. Closer's in my top 10 album list, it's a thing of beauty. I bought it on CD last year for playing in the car. I'm no vinyl purist but in this case the CD sounds nowhere near as good.
 The Pylon King 01 Aug 2014
In reply to Flinticus:

Amazing band, such stunning creativity from 'blokes".

Closer is a masterpiece.

I saw them twice when i was 15, and still haven't recovered!
 winhill 01 Aug 2014
In reply to The Pylon King:

I saw them when Curtis was alive. Unfortunately he had an epileptic fit during Atrocity Exhibition and fell into the drum kit.

It was after a few songs so everyone just thought it was the climax and cheered him on wildly.

Not the same as laughing at Tommy Cooper when he died but even as Curtis was carried off the stage people thought it was part of the act, just a bit extreme.
 Chris the Tall 01 Aug 2014

I hadn't realised you were so much older than me.......

Incredible band. By the time I got into them Ian Curtis was long dead, but nonetheless it was still the soundtrack to my time at uni. I'm constantly amazed at just how brilliant LWTUA still sounds, those opening bars get me every time. And if you don't watch Silk (or even if you do) look up Maxine Peake dancing to it on YouTube - sums up the way I feel when I hear it.

And before anyone has a go at me, yes there is so much more to the band than that one track - most of it brilliant, some of it dire, but hugely influential nonetheless. Great gig at the Leadmill last Saturday (tramlines) by PINS. All girls, all half our (well your) age, but from Manc and cite JD as their main influence.
 Blue Straggler 01 Aug 2014
In reply to winhill:

> I saw them when Curtis was alive.

As opposed to....?

Genuine question, not me being a pedant. Were there posthumous JD gigs?
In reply to Blue Straggler:

The first album and tours by New Order were pretty close.

I still regard "Movement" as a JD-Curtis album.

Both bands were first rate, definitely in my top five.
 The Pylon King 01 Aug 2014
In reply to winhill:

Sounds like the gig i went to at High Wycombe town hall.
 Fiona Reid 01 Aug 2014
In reply to Flinticus:

Inclined to agree, they were a very special band and seem to have dated far less than a lot of the other bands from that era and afterwards.

Hooky's book (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Unknown-Pleasures-Inside-Joy-Division-ebook/dp/B00C... where he talks about Unknown Pleasures and how Martin Hannett deconstructed their sound and put it back together again is well worth a read.

Whilst too young to see them play live I've seen New Order a few times and Peter Hook and The Light last year. Hearing New Dawn Fades played live was pretty awesome.

Pete Dangerous 01 Aug 2014

The Only Mistake, Ceremony and Shadowplay, New Dawn Fades are a few of my favourites. Amazing band. For bands I wish I could have seen then Joy Division and Nirvana are certainly among the top of the list.
Post edited at 10:45
OP Flinticus 01 Aug 2014
In reply to Pete Dangerous:

I was too young for Joy Division but I saw Nirvana play support to The Jesus & Mary Chain in Dublin! Great for the historical aspect but not one of my best gigs (that's a toss up bewtween Spaceman 3, Laurie Anderson or Acid Mothers Temple: all three deeply felt).
 mike123 01 Aug 2014
In reply to Flinticus:
Have a look on you tube for the heritage orchestra with scanner doing joy division reworked , saw this at the sage last year and it was stunning . Saw several early new order gigs and they ranged from shambolic rubbish to utter brillIance
 Nathan Adam 01 Aug 2014
In reply to Flinticus:

Autosuggestion, Shadowplay, Atrocity Exhibition, Transmission and Disorder are all really excellent, but so was pretty much everything else they did. The bass line in Disorder still blows me away every time!
 nr 01 Aug 2014
In reply to mike123:

I saw the Scanner thingie [1] too, at Cambridge - really wasn't sure what to expect, but it was excellent. Highly recommended, if they add any more dates or release a DVD.

24hrs is one of those songs that always makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

[1] http://www.joydivisionreworked.com/
 steveriley 01 Aug 2014
In reply to Flinticus:

I remember clearly seeing Transmission and She's Lost Control on the telly. Still gives me the shivers now but for different reasons - what was to come and what was never to be.
youtube.com/watch?v=6dBt3mJtgJc&
youtube.com/watch?v=zsHoOIHDutE&

The LPs are so wrapped up in the time and place that it felt almost disloyal buying the CDs and doesn't quite feel the same thing is playing them on vinyl.
In reply to Flinticus:
Having started with The Buzzcocks, Joy Division were Martin Hannett's crowning glory as a producer.
You can hear his 'sound' in the early New Order stuff, along with early Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, early A Certain Ratio, and early The Durutti Column.
He worked with U2 as well, though they split very quickly due to 'creative differences'; they thought he was a w@nker.

Post edited at 18:59
OP Flinticus 01 Aug 2014
In reply to Flinticus:

Thanks for those links.

I remember my friend sold his older brother's JD albums for drinking money when we were teenagers. I think my brother bought one or two off him and still has them.
In reply to Dispater:

I apply Martin Hannett's instructions to my climbing beta sometimes. "Slower but faster"

Awesome! Cheers for that.

> I apply Martin Hannett's instructions to my climbing beta sometimes. "Slower but faster"

And try and use a bit of a toilet, while you're at it.

Cheers! I'll watch the whole thing later (I know it's short but I am multitasking). I gather they are working on an Invisible Girls track. That's the only record I ever stole from a shop (not proud but it was only second hand vinyl at £4 anyway), it's dead good too.
In reply to Dispater:
> He worked with U2 as well, though they split very quickly due to 'creative differences'; they thought he was a w@nker.

As opposed to the rest of the world, who think the boot is on the other foot?
In reply to stroppygob:

<like!>

aln 02 Aug 2014
In reply to stroppygob:

> As opposed to the rest of the world, who think the boot is on the other foot?

Fair point, but Hannet was a junky. Junky's are usually w@nkers. He still produced some fantastic records.
In reply to aln:

Agreed. Junkies are without fail, w@nkers.
 Enty 02 Aug 2014
In reply to aln:

> They are indeed exceptional and 24hours is one of my favourites. One of the bands I regret never seeing live. I have three of their albums on vinyl, Unknown Pleasures, Closer, and the compilation album Still, in a lovely hardback style thing with a ribbon down the back. Closer's in my top 10 album list, it's a thing of beauty. I bought it on CD last year for playing in the car. I'm no vinyl purist but in this case the CD sounds nowhere near as good.

I have that Still album with the ribbon down the side. It was the soundtrack to my Saturday mornings getting ready to go to the match.

E
 The Pylon King 02 Aug 2014
In reply to stroppygob:

but then again most geniuses are junkies.
Einstein was on smack?!?!
Post edited at 09:57
 steveb2006 02 Aug 2014
In reply to Flinticus:

Good to see so many JD fans here. Perhaps not typical of them but remember first hearing Atmosphere on the John Peel show and thinking this is the best song Ive ever heard. Havent really changed my mind. Managed to see New Order just after they started.
In reply to steveb2006:

Atmosphere is truly amazing isn't it? From a "rock band"!!! Totally mind blowing. Tracks like The Eternal, Decades and Heart and Soul even In a Lonely Place are just so beautiful and also so unusual. I just don't ever hear other "rock bands" getting remotely close to the depth that this band achieved.

It is. I never saw JD, as I was too young, but I saw New Order perform Atmosphere at the Manchester Apollo in about 2000. Every hair on my body stood on end. They also did Love Will Tear Us Apart (to finish, iirc).

Other times I've seen New Order they haven't played any JD stuff.
 Steve Perry 02 Aug 2014
In reply to Flinticus:

I was too young to see them but remember my cousin and her boyfriend regularly following their gigs. The music is timeless and still haunting and I listen to them regularly, one of my favorite bands and your right, none better.
 Mike-W-99 02 Aug 2014

Apparently hooky also has a New Order one coming out to coincide with it. The hacienda one was pretty bitter.
 Steve Perry 02 Aug 2014

I'll certainly give that a coat of looking at. Ta
andymac 02 Aug 2014
In reply to Flinticus:

Love their sound.
Will have to look out their CD.
Tear on the sleeve of my vinyl copy.
Us 30 something's are perhaps a bit young to remember them.
Apart from them ,some of the Buzzcocks stuff is good
In reply to andymac:

yeah i was lucky enough to See JD supporting The Buzzcocks.
 Andysomething 02 Aug 2014

Coincidentally just played Unknown Pleasures on vinyl for first time in about 20 years - the sonic undertow is amazing
 Enty 03 Aug 2014
In reply to Flinticus:

Top Manchester lass Rowetta doing a truly magic job of Atmosphere.

youtube.com/watch?v=GiG1cUVVLGg&

E
In reply to SteveRi:

Delayed in Frankfurt Airport for 4 hours so thanks for helping while away the time (is that how you spell while?)

YouTube has thrown up Kashmir Live (Led Zepp) so that should eat into the remaining hours
Party Boy 03 Aug 2014
In reply to Enty:

> Top Manchester lass Rowetta doing a truly magic job of Atmosphere.

> E

Sorry but that is so bad I could only watch about a minute. Maybe due to the fact that Rowetta gets right on my tits lol
 BnB 04 Aug 2014
In reply to Flinticus:

Always interested to see that any threads involving Joy Division/Curtis/New Order seem to enjoy a lively existence on here yet, back in the day, I felt unique and privileged that only my mate Ian and I seemed to be in on the secret. I guess that's the price you pay for being brought up in the wrong part of the UK. Wonder what Bernard's book will add to the legend, it's out in time for Xmas.
In reply to BnB:

Bernard's book will add to the soap opera that New Order became.
 wynaptomos 04 Aug 2014
In reply to stroppygob:

> Bernard's book will add to the soap opera that New Order became.

I always felt that he was quite happy to let others court publicity. If there was a soap opera it was more to do with Tony Wilson and Factory.
In reply to wynaptomos:

Factory was a tragi-comedy, not a soap opera.
In reply to wynaptomos:

> I always felt that he was quite happy to let others court publicity. If there was a soap opera it was more to do with Tony Wilson and Factory.

Agreed, but if his book doesn't stir the pot(boiler) I'll be amazed.
 dbm 07 Aug 2014

> yeah i was lucky enough to See JD supporting The Buzzcocks.

Must have been the same time I saw them then (at Liverpool Univerisity)!

David
 3leggeddog 08 Aug 2014
In reply to Flinticus:
I have just learned to play Transmission on my banjo. A cross between George Formby and Ian Curtis.
 mike123 08 Aug 2014
In reply to 3leggeddog:
It ll be this next then :

youtube.com/watch?v=iSzOXaudlGs&
 Chris the Tall 08 Aug 2014
In reply to Flinticus:

Has anyone seen Peter Hook and the light ?

Saw them last year doing Unknown Pleasures at Sheffield Leadmill and it was a strange experience

It's like going back and watching Tranmere Rovers in their heyday, except John Aldridge is missing and instead Pat Nevin is playing up front. Now Pat is as much a genius as Aldo was, but he's not a front man, and because he's up front you don't get to see him doing what he does best - performing his magic on the wings. OK that analogy only really works if you saw Tranmere in their heyday, which lasted about as long as Joy Division did.

Nonetheless when he finished the set with Transmission and LWTUA it was one the most incredible, joyous musical experiences I've ever had, and worth it just for that !

Mike-W-99 08 Aug 2014
In reply to Chris the Tall:

Yes, saw them in glasgow last year. Only 1/4 of the original line up but had a great evening. Movement comes over as a much better album when played live.
Ste Brom 08 Aug 2014
In reply to Chris the Tall:

Now Simon Howarth in his prime....
 Chris the Tall 08 Aug 2014
In reply to Ste Brom:

Never impressed me, but I was at Brentford when he had he career-ending leg break. For all the stuff about footballers acting and exaggerating at minor injuries, you know from his howls that it was serious. Horrible.

On a lighter note - was Morrissey better than Nevin ? And I referring to the winger rather than the whinger !
 3leggeddog 08 Aug 2014
In reply to mike123:

I have a pair of those in the kitchen!

you about or away?
Redacted 08 Aug 2014
In reply to Flinticus:

Joy division were complete toss !
 The Pylon King 08 Aug 2014
In reply to Redacted:

Yeah i guess youre right.
In reply to Redacted:

Hello Shona.

> Yeah i guess youre right.

It's just dawned on me, too.

All those years wasted, thinking they were rather good.

:-/
 vincentvega 08 Aug 2014
In reply to Flinticus:

No chance I could pick a favourite of JD's.
Did they make a bad song?!

Anyway I always revert back to this:
youtube.com/watch?v=F17Et6g288E&

And
Love this:
youtube.com/watch?v=GH0KEi4yxrs&

Allan
In reply to Flinticus:

Anyone know of any Joy Division "soundalikes?"

I love the Stuff by Disco Inferno.

youtube.com/watch?v=JVfoL9QepoA&

Good stuff, thanks!
 Blue Straggler 11 Aug 2014
In reply to stroppygob:

> Anyone know of any Joy Division "soundalikes?"

When Interpol (the band!) came on the scene, there were JD comparisons thought I thought they were more Blue Nile (but what do I know? Give them a try, see what you think)

Cheers will do.
 wynaptomos 11 Aug 2014
In reply to stroppygob:

Editors too. Their first album is very joy division influenced. Nowhere near as good though!
 Blue Straggler 11 Aug 2014
In reply to wynaptomos:

> Editors too. Their first album is very joy division influenced. Nowhere near as good though!

Agreed on all points! Not BAD though

(caveat, I don't have this record, I just remember first hearing Editors when they first broke through)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...