UKC

Sense of responsibility to others

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 henwardian 01 Aug 2014
Recently had a discussion with a friend about the way people say "I'll let you know/call you back/e-mail you/deliver this by friday/next week/5pm" and almost never actually do.

I'm not talking about your mates or family here, I'm talking about people who do this sort of thing in their job, their profession. It seems, irrespective of what type of employment a person is in, they are not capable of making an arrangement and then sticking to it. Even worse, there is an inability to inform when they do not do what they agreed to. If person X phones/e-mails back by the day/time they said they would just to say "I'm still working on it" or "I couldn't get in contact with Z so I can't answer till next Tuesday" or whatever, it wouldn't be so bad. But they don't.

When I agree to do something in relation to a job I am being paid for, I make sure I either do it or tell the person it relates to why I can't/when it will be done/etc.

Am I the only one who thinks this is important?

Do folk out there who are managers not think this kind of problem allienates and annoys their clients, customers and potential buisness partners?
 Route Adjuster 01 Aug 2014
In reply to henwardian:

Interesting question, I'll have a think about it and get back to next Wednesday.

Dax H 01 Aug 2014
In reply to henwardian:

People not ringing or emailing back annoys the hell out of me.
I have a few suppliers that I have to hound for a simple price and availability.
I also have had many a heated discussion with my Co Director, he will ring back if he has an answer but he won't ring and even ignores the calls if he doesn't have an answer.
Personally if I am waiting for information I will keep my customer informed at the stated time even if all I can say is "sorry I am still chasing the manufacturer for the information we need"
 Brass Nipples 01 Aug 2014
In reply to henwardian:

Yep I get that when I try and get parts from local bike shop and they need to order them in. They say they'll do it, never do, then wonder where their trade is going.

squarepeg 01 Aug 2014
In reply to henwardian:

Amazon STILL owe me £20 from an order, summer 2013. They agree it never came, but I didnt try for a refund in time, so hard lines they say! Needless to say, I dont use amazon now.
 Trevers 01 Aug 2014
In reply to henwardian:

Just posted a topic about this in the pub (specifically relating to recruiters, who as a rule don't email you when they say they will)
OP henwardian 03 Aug 2014
In reply to henwardian:

Good to know other people notice this.

Off the top of my head, recent offenders include:
Local garage.
Estate agents.
Vehicle insurance companies.
job interviewers.

It is actually the majority of people that made any claim to contact again within a time period for the past several weeks.

I think that in future I'll just force folk to give me a time to get in contact with them again rather than relying on them to contact me.
 Firestarter 03 Aug 2014
In reply to henwardian:

This is quite thought provoking. Back in the day when job interviews/selection were face-to-face, perhaps people were more inclined to give feedback? Now, when we apply for things electronically (email, text) maybe that has been lost? Faceless companies, shops, in fact any internet transaction, less human interaction therefore less interest when something goes wrong?
In reply to henwardian:

Not hearing from potential employers is really, really rude and annoying. Also pathetic, if you can set up an auto email to say you have received a an application you can also set one up to say sorry but no.

Just arrogance and a scum bag approach to recruitment.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...