UKC

Learning a Language

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andrew W 01 Aug 2014
I'm looking at learning either Norwegian or Swedish for a trip I'm planning next year. I'll probably be in each country for a similar amount of time so was looking for advice on which is easier to learn, and for any resources that you've found useful for learning languages. I'm mainly wanting to learn to speak it read a little and not too concerned about learning to write in it.

Thanks for any advice
Andy
 mbh 01 Aug 2014
In reply to Andrew W:
I learned Danish many years ago, to the point where I could read novels and hold my own in conversations. Norwegian is very similar, Swedish a little more removed, to the ear at least.

If memory serves, and if Norwegian is like Danish, on the page at least, then it is easier than it sounds. The grammar is straightforward, and the rules for pronunciation of strings of letters are much more consistently applied than they are in English.

Learning a language is not rocket science, it just takes time and practice and a willingness to have a go, coupled with a determination to work out the grammar and learn more words. Get going now and keep going. Get a grammar book and learn the rules. Learn vocabulary. I used to learn 20 new words a day, at least, and make sure that I really had learned them my having a system of reviewing my lists of words. If you know enough vocabulary, then you can begin to read stuff, which helps you learn more. Get a good dictionary - probably online now - and use it. Get some bilingual texts, where the same thing is written both in Norwegian/Swedish and also in English. I have used these in Danish , French and German and always found them useful. When you get far enough, get a teacher. I got a post-grad Danish, student, with whom I discussed the difficulty of understanding Kenny Dalglish (this was 1987), and then a pot head, whose cannabis I admired in her garden, all in Danish. Listen to the spoken word. Youtube must now offer you so many opportunities for this. Read newspapers. I used to read Politiken. If there is a subject you know about, read texts about that. You will get the gist more easily than with, say, novels, and get further, faster. Don't be afraid to make mistakes, but do try to eradicate them. Try to sound like them, too, not like a self-conscious foreigner speaking a foreign language. It can make a huge difference and it is surprising how good you can get. etc etc.

Good luck!
Post edited at 21:59
 nufkin 02 Aug 2014
In reply to Andrew W:

> any resources that you've found useful for learning languages

I tried a Pimsleur tape for Norwegian, but didn't really get on with it. There is/was a textbook called Ny I Norsk, which I think was a sort of 'official' learning source, and quite helpful - but it was intended as a classroom teaching aid, and might not be as good if you're flying solo.

I also tried Norwegian friends, but they thought trying to learn was silly since everyone speaks english
Jim C 02 Aug 2014
In reply to Andrew W:

In 2004 they said:-
http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/english-to-be-spoken-by-half-of-th...

So why bother, someone will probably predict that in another 5 years it will be 75%,, I would concentrate on not being out Englished by the foreigners .
OP Andrew W 02 Aug 2014
In reply to Andrew W:

Thanks for the tips and advice I'll have a look into them.

Jim C: The why bother is I'm planning on going to some of the more remote areas of Norway and Sweden for over 2 months so would probably be a good idea to know how to speak the languages a bit.
 TobyA 02 Aug 2014
In reply to Andrew W:

> Jim C: The why bother is I'm planning on going to some of the more remote areas of Norway and Sweden for over 2 months so would probably be a good idea to know how to speak the languages a bit.

Generally it seems that the people you meet in the remote parts of Norway and Sweden are just as likely to speak good English as anyone else. I've found that even a lot of elderly people speak perfectly good English too - which isn't always the case in other European countries.

Of course learning a language is always a worthwhile thing to do so go for it, but Scandinavia is probably about as easy a place as anywhere to get by not speaking anything but English.

BTW of course Norwegian and Swedish are different, but there is an idea of "Skandinavisk" or however you spell it - that the languages are mutually intelligible. Unless you go and spend months in classroom in Stockholm or Copenhagen, the basics that you're likely to learn will probably be understood by Swedes or Norwegians if they understand you at all (they'll probably just start chatting to you in English!).
 Al Evans 02 Aug 2014
In reply to Andrew W:

I am just useless at learning languages, not too bad at French because I did that at school, but I have lived in Spain for ten years and find the language completely incomprehensible. I have tried, with courses etc, and I do know odd words, but they speak massively too fast to make it out to be anything more than gobbledeygook. I think I am just too old and the English are always crap at learning languages anyhow. I don't really have any excuse except that I'm thick at learning languages.
 Al Evans 02 Aug 2014
In reply to Andrew W:

I blame the Tower of Babel.
 Yanis Nayu 02 Aug 2014
In reply to Andrew W:

Good on you for bothering! When you get started and know a few words, try the MyLanguageExchange site and see if you can get a few people to talk with on Skype.
 Jim Fraser 02 Aug 2014
In reply to Andrew W:

If you only know about English then you are trapped in a tiny bubble.
OP Andrew W 02 Aug 2014
In reply to Malcolm Tucker's Sweary Aunt:

I'm planning on travelling alone so hope that being able to speak the language a bit will help get me out of a bubble.
Tim Chappell 02 Aug 2014
In reply to Andrew W:

Good for you. A language is a whole way of seeing the world. If you only ever speak English, it's like you're wearing spectacles all your life and you never even notice they're there.

To learn a language is to learn to appreciate a different viewpoint on the world. And that's always a good thing.
 mbh 02 Aug 2014
In reply to Tim Chappell:

I agree.

However well they speak English in Scandinavia, I bet most of them don't normally speak it amongst themselves. If you don't understand a word of their language, you will live in a fog of incomprehension as you go about your life, until you open your mouth and they come back to you in better English than you (possibly) have. Life is just more fun, and feels more polite, if you can understand a bit, and can say something.

Moreover, my experience is that English sounds rather dull in almost all foreigners' hands if you leave it with them for too long (but fine in bursts - see below). Their intonation is flat, and their vocabulary and use of idioms is limited. I still admire them for giving it a go, but I find that I want to switch sides and be a boring arse, and be admired, myself.

How good do you think the shop assistant felt last month in the bakery in Arabba, in the Dolomites, when the not-English, not-Italian person in front of us in the queue said in an affronted tone, in English, "Is that all the bread you have got?" and she replied, in good, pointy English, " You should have been here early this morning when I had 50 times as much!"

Al Evans 04 Aug 2014
In reply to mbh:

You will also feel a lot less lonely if you can speak the language of the locals.
 tlm 04 Aug 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

I think learning a language isn't really any different from learning anything else. You just have to spend time practising. The more you practise, the easier it will be. You say that you have lived in Spain for 10 years, but how many times a week do you practice your Spanish? If you learnt one word per day, then by now you would know a lot!

Also, people will speak more slowly if you ask them to and if they realise that it isn't your first language...
 macmuseeuw 04 Aug 2014
In reply to Andrew W:

Good luck with your Norwegian/Swedish language.

Always found learning a foreign language quite easy. Recently found my old report cards and was clearly crap at everything else! I attended Dutch classes for holidays in Belgium/Holland. The locals are pleased a foreigner has taken the time to learn their language. I believe an understanding of the language gives you an insight into the country you're visiting.

Yes you'll make mistakes but the locals will understand and help you. I was still getting my French corrected when in Brittany 2 weeks ago and I've been speaking it for 40 years (hopefully with some degree of success)
 Kemics 04 Aug 2014
In reply to macmuseeuw:

Yeah I think this is very true. Even if you make a poor attempt, it might not be grammatically perfect but usually you're just aiming for comprehension. People tend to be way more welcoming if you make an effort to speak the local language. It at least can be very hilarious, I would always try to order in Finnish just to amuse everyone

The exception I would make to this rule is French. Instead of being enthused by your good-natured attempts they will be offended you dragged god's own language through the cesspits of mispronunciation and will prefer to sit in silence
 tlm 04 Aug 2014
In reply to Andrew W:

When speaking to people, correct grammar really doesn't matter that much. If someone says "Tomorrow, sock I buying" you can still understand what they mean. It's more important to have a good accent (which British people tend to feel all embarrassed about, as though they are taking the piss or something) and as much vocabulary as possible. Don't forget as well that when you are speaking face to face with people, you can use actions and mime, expressions and alternative ways of saying thing, which allow you to get your meaning across without having to be perfect....
 macmuseeuw 04 Aug 2014
In reply to Kemics:

Have been in France more times than I care to remember and can't say I've had your experience. We usually head to deepest, darkest France where non-locals are few and far between. All have my accepted my Glasgow accented French. Perhaps in the major cities, they are more intolerant.
 abr1966 04 Aug 2014
In reply to Andrew W:

Norwegian is ok mate, give it a go. I learned enough to get by when i lived there although in my base everyone spoke english. It sounds difficult but i found it easier than i thought although some of the phonetics are tricky!
 TobyA 04 Aug 2014
In reply to tlm:

> When speaking to people, correct grammar really doesn't matter that much. If someone says "Tomorrow, sock I buying" you can still understand what they mean.

This isn't really true in some languages, perhaps not in many, but I know having in tried to learn Finnish without some grammar you can't really communicate. Word stems change a lot so you can't really reform any words to give them meaning without some basic knowledge of grammar. It's a right bugger, but there's no way around it when you're trying to learn!
 tlm 04 Aug 2014
In reply to TobyA:

I also think learning sets of grammatical rules is easier than learnings thousands of individual variations, but getting the grammar wrong is better than being too scared to speak in case you make a mistake....
OP Andrew W 05 Aug 2014
Thanks for the advice and encouragement everyone its given me somewhere to start learning the language and where to go to improve as I've never been particularly great at learning languages.
 Yanis Nayu 05 Aug 2014
In reply to Andrew W:

Motivation is everything in language learning. Good luck with it!
 Al Evans 06 Aug 2014
In reply to tlm:

> I think learning a language isn't really any different from learning anything else. You just have to spend time practising. The more you practise, the easier it will be. You say that you have lived in Spain for 10 years, but how many times a week do you practice your Spanish? If you learnt one word per day, then by now you would know a lot!

> Also, people will speak more slowly if you ask them to and if they realise that it isn't your first language...

Unfortunately that isn't always true about them speaking slowly, they even speak English fast, I do know quite a few spanish words, it is the grammar that used to let me down, after twice a week one to one and loads of DVD's
I have come to the realistic point that I will never learn spanish. Maybe if I'd started when I was 50, but at 66 I am just too old to learn a new language from scratch.
I have a chance with French which I did at school 40 years ago, but spanish no way. For a start it is more than one language and I can't identify the difference, sadly I live on the cusp of Catalan and Valenciano, even the word for dog is different.
 Al Evans 06 Aug 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

Sorry I did French at school over 50 years ago, not 40 years.
 philipivan 06 Aug 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

Habla mas despacio por favor!

I always find it fine asking what I want in France or Spain, but a lot harder understanding the response. I guess in your part of Spain you may have the problem that a lot of people have an understanding of English so it is tempting to use that. I found in Mexico/South America hardly anyone spoke English and so there was more incentive to communicate. E.g. I spent a long time trying to make myself understood to a bank manager in Costa Rica after our passports were stolen and he needed to authorise our payment for a new visa...
 Discolegs 06 Aug 2014
In reply to Malcolm Tucker's Sweary Aunt:

I'd agree that motivation as well as hard work are the key. I've learned 6 languages at different times, to different degrees. I can and do work in 3-4 of them, and have a more basic knowledge of the rest.

Every time I've learned a new language I have felt that I have no particular talent for learning languages, and that many others, say, in the class learn much quicker, easier, etc. So, at least for me, its down to hard work, being motivated, immersing yourself into it and get exposure as much as possible.

When I was in more active learning stage of two of the above I used to listen to radio on those languages, read news papers, listen to various recordings/ music, watch films, etc - anything that gave me exposure. Also, being in an environment where you have no alternative but to use the language you are learning helped me a lot.

I am exposed to and use the above 3-4 languages at home and work on daily basis. That obviously helps. I think 6 months of consistent study and hard work takes you to a level of being able to have an ok'ish conversation, know the main parts of the grammar, and take the learning forward by yourself (at least in my case). Good luck with it!
 Al Evans 06 Aug 2014
In reply to Discolegs:

Not wanting to get personal, but how old are you?
 mbh 06 Aug 2014
In reply to Discolegs:

Don't they get easier, the more you do, since many of them overlap to some extent?

This summer, for the first time in ages, I was in places where I have never even begun to try to earn the local languages - Flemish Belgium and Italy. I would like to go back to both places, but with at least some language, and I am hoping, expecting even, that my knowledge of German and French respectively will help me with them.

Another thing I would add, for andrew, is that, however the learning of a language may be downplayed as a long, yet uncomplicated haul, they are subtle things and you need to be reasonable about your expectations. Once, a German mistook me for a German, and if I had had a trophy for that it would still be on my shelf, easily eclipsing my lifetime only other one, for coming third in my allotment association competition. Mostly, however, you remain acutely aware when speaking or reading and especially when writing a foreign language, that you didn't do this from birth. It took me four years of living in Switzerland before I knew that I was really "getting" German, because the cases and the genders sounded right when they were right, and wrong when they were wrong. I've learned French since I was a young child, and always thought myself very good at it, but still the chit-chat around me at the canteen where I worked in France could easily befuddle me, even after a year of living there.

Nevertheless, I fully expect that your life will be much more fun if at least sometimes it is conducted in Broken Norwegian when you are there - good luck!
MaxWilliam 06 Aug 2014
In reply to Andrew W:

>and for any resources that you've found useful for learning languages.

Would highly recommend the Duolingo app (free) and Rosetta Stone (quite expensive).

OP Andrew W 06 Aug 2014
In reply to MaxWilliam: Thanks for the those unfortunatly neither of them offer Norwegian as an option.
 Discolegs 06 Aug 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

No worries I'll be in my fifth decade next year Why? Btw, my mom started going to language (as well as computer) classes earlier this year as she retired. But then I have not learned a new language since my late 20s though think of starting to learn a new one soon.
 Discolegs 06 Aug 2014
In reply to mbh:

Yes, I guess you could say that. Those that I have learned and have different degrees of similarities (German, Swedish, English) I learned at school. I guess my techniques and strategies for learning were not particularly well toned at the time. Or at least can't remember whether the similarities actually helped me or not (?). I remember it being a rather mechanical process apart from the occasions I actually got to use the languages.
I learned my next languages (first Russian of which I did have some basic grasp before, and then Turkish) as an adult. Both v different language families, structures, grammars, etc. But what I feel did help me was the fact that I had learned languages before and hence knew what I was getting myself into (re expectations, hard work, needing the commitment, etc). Needless to say, living and/or working in those countries (and other ones where these languages or a similar one was spoken e.g. the former soviet space for Russian, Turkey/Azerbaijan for Turkish, etc) helped a lot.
But yes, even if you have the most basic grasp of a language, using it certainly makes your overall experience and interaction with people in that country/society etc more fun!
 macmuseeuw 06 Aug 2014
In reply to mbh:
Re your first paragraph, you are correct. I have a working knowledge of 4 languages. There is a connection between French & Spanish, I guess it's the Latin roots. I also found Dutch quite straightforward as I can studied German at school. The sentence construction is the same and a lot of words are similar. I think the word Dutch is a corruption of the word Deutsch.
 JamButty 06 Aug 2014
In reply to Andrew W:
I've got poor Norwegian, not helped by me being crap, and my norwegian wife and rellies all speaking too good english.
I've been accused of speaking with a Danish and Swedish accent which I was quite proud of, but usually they speak too fast for me to keep up. My wife can get by in all 3 languages although there are differences.
If you look around there are usually the odd night classes for Swedish, but never saw any for the others.
Pimsleur, norword and some others I tried with varied success.
good luck
 Al Evans 07 Aug 2014
In reply to philipivan:

> Habla mas despacio por favor!

> I always find it fine asking what I want in France or Spain, but a lot harder understanding the response. I guess in your part of Spain you may have the problem that a lot of people have an understanding of English so it is tempting to use that.

Fewer than you'd think considering it's the English that contribute most of the economy in the area.
 rallymania 07 Aug 2014
In reply to Andrew W:

can't help with the details of the question, but take 20 minutes out of your day for this

youtube.com/watch?v=d0yGdNEWdn0&

Andy Long 07 Aug 2014
In reply to Andrew W:
A friend of mine speaks twenty-four languages, including both Norwegians. In fact he won "Polyglot of Europe" some years ago. His method, for what it's worth, is to buy a basic grammar, skim through it, then read the New Testament in the language. Seems to have worked for him!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...