UKC

RIP Mike Smith

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Denni 02 Aug 2014
No age bless him. Remember him most from Live Aid, RIP .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-28623367
 Blue Straggler 02 Aug 2014
In reply to Denni:

> No age bless him.

Eh? 59.

Didn't that 1988 helicopter crash also cause tremendous facial scarring on Sarah Greene causing her to slowly retreat from television work (or was it the infamy of Ghostwatch that did that?)

Mike Smith was in many ways the epitome of "blandness" on 80s BBC but he was never ever unlikeable. RIP indeed.
andymac 02 Aug 2014
In reply to Denni:

I remember him for his sweaters.

80's patterned knitwear at its best /worst.

Noel Edmonds was another culprit.

OP Denni 02 Aug 2014
In reply to Blue Straggler:

> Eh? 59.

Isn't 60 the new 40? Hope so as I'm nearly 50!
In reply to Denni:

One of the "Smashy and Nicey" brigade wasn't he?

RIP, 59 is a callow youth these days.
 Blue Straggler 02 Aug 2014
In reply to stroppygob:

> One of the "Smashy and Nicey" brigade wasn't he?

In many ways - or indeed EVERY way - yes. But I guess that's exactly what the BBC needed and wanted in that period, and he filled that niche perfectly. I always thought "epitome of bland" but in hindsight (and with age perhaps against me!) I guess he was perfect at that time. Remember who cleared out the "Smashey and Nicey" brigade. Matthew Bannister. His credibility has been low for 20-odd years since the immediate wake of his R1 slash-and-burn. At least Mike Smith moved on quietly and with dignity, to do something else entirely
 Dauphin 02 Aug 2014
In reply to Denni:

Shit ties.

Never think twice about him, but watching that BBC montage he was indeed a very likeable character. Sarah Green,not half, what a lucky bastard.

RIP

D
 The New NickB 03 Aug 2014
In reply to stroppygob:

> One of the "Smashy and Nicey" brigade wasn't he?

> RIP, 59 is a callow youth these days.

Not really, he was a decade younger than that lot and had a different style, he also left Radio 1 whilst he was still relatively young.
In reply to Blue Straggler:

> In many ways - or indeed EVERY way - yes. But I guess that's exactly what the BBC needed and wanted in that period, and he filled that niche perfectly.

In reply to The New NickB:

> Not really, he was a decade younger than that lot and had a different style, he also left Radio 1 whilst he was still relatively young.

So we're all in agreement then.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...