UKC

Word help?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 sweenyt 03 Aug 2014
Hi,

A bit of a random question, but I hope someone can help.

In word 2010 I am inserting lots of captions under images (the ones that automatically re number themselves if another image is inserted further up). Whenever I update the whole document, so that all the figure numbers, table numbers, references to those numbers and contents pages all update, all of the references to the captions (i.e as referred to in figure 12) get put on a new line. Can anyone shed some light on why this is happening, and more importantly how to stop it from happening?

Many thanks,

H
 rlrs 03 Aug 2014
In reply to sweenyt:

Make sure the caption style is only applied to the line with the caption on, not the line above.

For example, if the caption style is applied to the image itself as well, the image can also get inserted into the caption reference.
OP sweenyt 03 Aug 2014
In reply to rlrs:

Thanks, I'll have a look.
 nniff 03 Aug 2014
In reply to sweenyt:

Do the captions have any text other than 'fig 1' associated with them? Check what you are inserting as a reference (I.e. Just label and number or full wot sit). It sounds as though you are picking up a para break with every caption you are inserting as a reference.
You can stop fields updating by selecting each one and then it's something like Ctrl f12 , I can never quite remember, but google will help
In reply to sweenyt:

Word quite often displays this kind of irritating behaviour. I know that there is one problem like this (sorry I can't remember the details) in which the cure is in the formatting of the margins!
OP sweenyt 03 Aug 2014
In reply to nniff:

They do, but I *think* I have told it not to include the caption along with the reference. It is only some that are doing it, so it might be something along these lines. Thanks.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...