UKC

freed gear

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 07 Aug 2014
Thank goodness this site didn't exist when I started, my rack would have been tiny most of my gear was found around Wintours Leap and CheddarI feel quite guilty when I read the plaintive messages requesting the return of a nut or sling all we thought was yea booty and thanked the losers theres too much honesty these days!!!
 Cobra_Head 07 Aug 2014
In reply to Removed User:

It was difficult to post a message in morse code though wasn't it, so it might be the technology that's made it possible to be as nice now as people were back then.
 deacondeacon 07 Aug 2014

I always think its stupid when someone says they've lost one nut and would appreciate it back. Someone will have to go to the trouble of packaging it, going to the post office and patient postage for something that costs about £7.
I find a fair bit and tend to post on here anyway but tbh rarely get requests for it back.
 gethin_allen 07 Aug 2014
I have a nice friend 1.5 that was found stuck in stanage before I knew about this site, I do wonder who lost it but I'm quite happy to have it as it's a really useful size and I only had 3 friends on the rack at that point.
 Timmd 07 Aug 2014
In reply to gethin_allen:

It's MINE. ()
 Cobra_Head 07 Aug 2014

> I have a nice friend 1.5 that was found stuck in stanage before I knew about this site,

It's mine you thieving bastard and I demand reparations.
 Cobra_Head 07 Aug 2014

Snap!!
 gethin_allen 07 Aug 2014
In reply to Timmd:
> (In reply to gethin_allen)
>
> It's MINE. ()

It's technically old enough now that it should be retired probably, most of my gear is getting that way but it's seen so little use and has been stored well so I'm going to keep going with it for a while.
 Cobra_Head 07 Aug 2014

Actually, I'm fibbing. I've never actually lost any gear, tempting fate I know.

I found a nut once at Bosigran and my mate throw it in the sea!! She decided I shouldn't trust my life to found gear!!! She didn't consult me on whether I thought it was a good idea or not, just chucked it away.

Ever since then I don't tell her if I find any swag.
 Timmd 07 Aug 2014

It's my understanding that it's textiles which needs retiring after a certain length of time, and metal is fine for ever unless it's subject to wear.
 Timmd 07 Aug 2014
In reply to Cobra_Head:
She's a decent sounding mate, with having your safety at heart. I don't hold with the theory that one doesn't say anything if friends are doing something daft. It's what friends should do (life's difficult enough, we need nosy friends with out interests at heart). ()
Post edited at 00:01
 gethin_allen 07 Aug 2014
In reply to Timmd:

That's my understanding also, the issue is that I have some gear made by companies no longer trading (eg HB) so I can't get things re-slung.
 Timmd 08 Aug 2014

You could get it reslung here.

http://www.mountaingear.com/webstore/
 FactorXXX 08 Aug 2014

I remember retrieving a nut that a mates second had abandoned about a week later.
When I saw him next, I gleefully showed him my find and we both knew that ownership had quite rightly changed hands.
 FactorXXX 08 Aug 2014

That's my understanding also, the issue is that I have some gear made by companies no longer trading (eg HB) so I can't get things re-slung.

Couldn't you just re-sling it yourself with nylon webbing?
 Ardo 08 Aug 2014
In reply to deacondeacon:

Is anything in your rack not crag swag?
 deacondeacon 08 Aug 2014
In reply to nrhardy:

Well there's the cams I shoplifted. They're technically not crag swag.
 Fredt 08 Aug 2014

About 20 years ago I was climbing up the Aiguille de l'M, and came across cam after cam after cam. Nearing the top of the route, we spotted a guide leading a young lady up the climb, and unfortunately she could not figure out how to remove cams, or maybe she didn't realise that she was supposed to to remove them.

Anyhoo, it was still early in the day, plenty of time and lovely views, so my mate and I decided to chill out on a nice ledge at the bottom of the final pitch. We ate our snap, dozed and chatted about life, the universe and everything.

Finally, we decided we should get moving again. Would you believe it, but at the summit there was no sign of anyone. On the descent we kept an eye out for the guide and his client, but sadly we never saw them again. As a result, I came home with a full set of cams and quickdraws, some of which I still use to this day.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...