UKC

help to identify new bird

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MargieB 08 Aug 2014
I believe I have a new bird to the UK in my garden. It is the size of a small pidgeon has the markings of a brambling and sounds like a raucous parrot. The pink on the tummy is distinctive, as are the black and white bars on the wings. I thought I saw a news article about a new bird in the UK. Any ideas as to its ID?
Redacted 08 Aug 2014
In reply to MargieB:

It's a Bavarian lesser strippy pink crested dwarf sea vulture and it's lost.
Wulfrunian 08 Aug 2014
In reply to MargieB:

Jay?
 John Ww 08 Aug 2014
In reply to MargieB:

Hoopoe?
 steveb2006 08 Aug 2014
In reply to MargieB:

Sounds like a jay to me too,
 Seocan 09 Aug 2014
In reply to MargieB:

love your enthusiasm MargieB, I could handle new bird, pity the one I've got is up the duff, s'pose I'll have to stick with her.
 LeeWood 09 Aug 2014
In reply to MargieB:

Bramblings are not so common - I can't believe you would know a brambling but not a jay; therefore sounds like hoopoe - but unlikely except s england.

Jays incidentally are incredible mimics and often have me fooled; most usually as an owl (in broad daylight ??!)
In reply to MargieB:

Pink belly, black + white wing bars and raucous voice - another vote for Jay here.
Post edited at 09:26
 Al Evans 10 Aug 2014
In reply to LeeWood:

I have a hoopoe in my garden on occaisions, they are so easy to tell by their crests, one has not been mentioned
 veteye 10 Aug 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

Lucky chap.I've had Jays in the garden,but not a Hoopoe.

When I was a teenager I found a dead Jay in a copse through which a road passed(so hit by car or hit by tree?).I took it home and my older brother cut off one wing and put it on his bedroom wall.Presumably it mummified.(It did not smell).Then when he left a couple of years later,my mum chucked it out saying that it might go off.How annoying.It was lovely and was not degenerating.
 Bob 10 Aug 2014
In reply to veteye:

Al currently resides in slightly warmer climes than these shores.
 Darron 10 Aug 2014
In reply to MargieB:

Another vote for a Jay. Could you see any blue on it's side? Jays also show a white rump very well when they fly off.
Coincidentally I'm just looking at 3 in my garden now.
 LeeWood 10 Aug 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

but the crest is only apparent if raised in alarm; we nearly ran over one recently but the bird still didn't have the decency to give us full view
OP MargieB 13 Aug 2014
In reply to LeeWood:

Thanks everyone. I've listened to you tube videos of the sound and it is not a hoopoe but sounds very much like a jay. I now have 9 of them! It is quite new for South Loch Ness, I think. I've been here a long time and never spotted one before. Species are moving north maybe in response to global warming? Certainly it is much milder here all year round.
 Clarence 13 Aug 2014
In reply to MargieB:

I am surprised it is a new one for you, my cousin in Golspie gets Jays fairly often (although not daily mobs of the buggers like we get down here in the Peak District). I have found that they tend to follow other corvids arounds so if you get crows and jacdaws, jays will not be far away.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...