UKC

what bike to do the way of the roses?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tom.fox 09 Aug 2014
Planning to do this route over 3 days in october.i have a mountain bike which I use to commute to work on on bridleways but no tourer.May do more touring in future if I like it so dont mind investing up to say a grand.
thanks!
 The Potato 09 Aug 2014
no reason you cant do it on that, just get some slick tyres and pump them up hard - use a pump with a gauge preferably and set then to the upper limit of the tyre e.g. 80psi
Get the seat post up a bit higher and drop the handlebars a bit if you can.

Or if you have some cash to splash and fancy getting a road bike, consider a 2nd hand one - theres a facebook group called cycle buy,swop & sell
 Chris the Tall 09 Aug 2014
In reply to tom.fox:
Not done the way of the roses, but my mates did it last year on road bikes, though I've got a feeling it's not entirely on road

I did a 3 day tour of the Yorkshire dales last year on my 29er hardtail, with slickish tyres. Given that it lashed it down I was grateful for my disc brakes and the fact that I didn't have skinny tyres.. The extra weight of a mountain bike is less of a factor when you're carrying panniers.
OP tom.fox 09 Aug 2014
In reply to tom.fox:

thanks might use my mountain bike then especially as Ive just re-furbed it -new rear wheel ,drivechain ,headset,rear shifter!might be good for the hills!
 Y Gribin 09 Aug 2014
In reply to tom.fox:
I did it on my hybrid, with my dad on his road bike - it's a lovely route, you'll have a great time. Cycling through the Wolds was a real revelation to me as it is relatively unknown.

If I was doing it again, I'd use a road bike with a rack and single pannier. But a MTB with slicks would be fine.
Post edited at 18:56
 wilkesley 10 Aug 2014
In reply to Y Gribin:
Did it last year on my hybrid, with my son, who was on his road bike. Both were fine. As suggested if doing it on an mtb I would fit thinner tyres. Really enjoyable route. Expect to suffer on the initial 25% section out of Settle. No off road sections, although I expect there off road alternatives.

Once you get past Brimham Rocks there are no significant hills.
Post edited at 18:28
OP tom.fox 11 Aug 2014
In reply to tom.fox:

cheers everyone
MarkM 12 Aug 2014
In reply to tom.fox:

I'm just back from doing it last week in 2 days. I went on a road bike with a v light back pack and stayed in a b and b in York, then on to Bridlington next day (Worked v well for me as got the bulk of route done and got to see York but would have been a bit much without decent weather).. The group I caught up with on the second day had a mix of road / hybrid and mtbs - including one old heavy steel Apollo mtb with front suspension.. so it's do able on anything!

There is a section "off-reoad" out of York on a farm track through a field for a mile or so which was rideable but probably also avoidable.

Great route!
cheers
Mark
OP tom.fox 12 Aug 2014
In reply to MarkM:

thanks Mark

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...