UKC

Moving to Oxford / Kidlington area

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 adam 24 10 Aug 2014
Hi, I am considering moving to the Oxford area for a job, which is based just outside the city in Kidlington, very near the airport. I would like to live within 10 miles so I can cycle easily. Would anyone recommend a particular area to live in? I don't have kids so was thinking of living in Oxford itself.

Is the wall at Oxford Brookes good? Any other useful comments welcome.
 Bobling 10 Aug 2014
In reply to adam 24:

Brookes wall is good considering that's about the only climbing around! Getting to fro from city to Kidlington for work may be a pain after a bit - takes longer that you think it should.
 db79 10 Aug 2014
In reply to adam 24:

Brookes is good. Great bunch of people there and decent routes considering the limited space.

Summertown and Headington are well placed for cycling to Kidlington. Cowley Road is more lively, but the 'wrong side' for town for Kidlington - although if you enjoy cycling, it's still pretty flat and doable in 30 - 40 minutes. Avoid Blackbird Leys at all costs (and that includes Headington Borders which are really Blackbird Leys borders.
 jetstream 10 Aug 2014
In reply to db79:

Headington Borders.....! I remember buying my current place IN Headington and they were trying to convince us that Temple Cowley was actually 'Headington borders'. There's a reason you never meet an old estate agent - because it is possible to die of shame.

Oxford centre is overpriced and not a huge amount to write home about, but has fantastic links to London (i.e. coach every 15 mins 24hrs a day)

If I were to have a free choice of where to live in Oxford I'd say Jericho. Great pubs / bars / places to eat, close to the centre and very close to Headington.

And I'd second the Brooks vote. It's small ish but packs a lot in. I think they're expanding soon too! Also three climbing clubs within the city.
 Jamie Wakeham 10 Aug 2014
In reply to adam 24:

What's your budget? That'll make a huge difference. Summertown or Jericho would be lovely if you're working in Kidlington but both are very expensive. Marston is a possible compromise between cost and convenience.

Brookes is good, if overcrowded if you go at popular times of day, and there's talk of expansion. There are, of course, two walls in Oxford: Iffley is only open to members of OUMC, but you don't have to be a member of the University to join.
OP adam 24 12 Aug 2014
In reply to adam 24:

Thanks for the information, I had spotted Summertown as a convenient location. My budget is around £600-£700 / month, which seems to come up with options on rightmove & gumtree. I've lived near the centre of London for the last few years so Oxford feels like a big change!
In reply to adam 24:

Brookes is decent - basically very busy and not much space, so difficulty often increased by putting holds further apart or just making them tinier/more horrible, so not the breadth of routes/problems you'd get elsewhere. But it does make you feel really hardcore when you go elsewhere! Good club scene with university and the town. Good bigger walls within an hour ie Milton Keynes, Reading.

Sadly Oxford is also not particularly convenient for outside, though has the advantage that if you're prepared to drive 2-3 hours in any direction (or Symonds Yat closest at 1:30) you have pick of South coast, Peak, Wye, Bristol so can go with the weather forecast.

Summertown is good - I've been living and working here for years. Most people live in Kidlington because it's cheaper and commute in to the ringroad, so if you were going the other way you would be going against the flow or traffic hopefully!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...