UKC

Present for a 5 year old girly girl .

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mike123 10 Aug 2014
Ffs how am I meant to know this ? The 5 year old s I know reasonably would all appreciate non gender specific stuff : stomp rockets , lego sets with lots of guns and bombs , guns and bombs in general etc . I suspect the girl in question would probably appreciate the kind of thing we would normally get but I'm more concerned at causing parental offence . The better half generally knows but she's out of radio contact and has foolishly left me to it .
 ebygomm 10 Aug 2014
In reply to mike123:

Something crafty like hama beads?
 ThunderCat 10 Aug 2014
In reply to mike123:

Shopping trip so she can decide herself?
 skog 10 Aug 2014
In reply to mike123:

Maybe something like this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00JYV95E8

There are lots of alternative versions, but make sure they include the 'loom' itself. We have two of these to allow the girls to make more complicated designs. Also because my wife keeps nicking it from the girls!

Plus maybe a metal hook (the plastic ones break very easily), and a selection of different bands to use?

It's all the rage at the moment, but does seem like harmless, vaguely productive fun!
 skog 10 Aug 2014
In reply to ThunderCat:

Taking someone else's 5 year old girl shopping is above and beyond the call of duty.

I have friends I would die for, but none for which I'd subject myself to horrors such as that!
 Carolyn 10 Aug 2014
In reply to mike123:

Girly Lego (Lego Friends) might be a compromise?

And it's impossible to go wrong with loom bands at the moment!

There are also some girly science kits about - bath bombs, perfumes etc - that are quite good. They probably say 8+ or similar (though we made bath bombs with 15 kids at a joint 4 & 7 birthday party, and it was equally popular with boys and girls), so depends on the level of parental concern for such guidance....
OP mike123 10 Aug 2014
In reply to Carolyn:
Thanks all.
Hi Carolyn , where might I get one of those or some Hama beads on a Sunday afternoon locally ?
Looking like a drive to keswickistan toy shop and then back to go to fun bloody tactic .
 ebygomm 10 Aug 2014
In reply to mike123:

Don't know where abouts in the lakes you are, but argos sells hama beads so you've got kendal, barrow or penrith to choose from.
 Carolyn 10 Aug 2014
In reply to mike123:

If the Cockermouth toy shop is open, they should have Lego Friends. Also Loom Bands. But I lose track of when they open....

Science kits - Wilkinsons has them at Christmas, but I don't think all year. Argos might be worth a look on line.

Otherwise, Keswick toy shop usually has good selection of Lego and many other options. There might also be suitable stuff in the Puzzling Place shop next door. Beware though, Keswick is in full wet holiday weekend flow, or it was a few hours ago when we came through on our way home - don't forget to dress in top to toe waterproofs and take your walking poles
 Carolyn 10 Aug 2014
In reply to mike123:

Oops, sorry, Cockermouth toy shop definitely stocks Hama beads if they're open. And Shrinkies (colour in picture, bake in oven, shrinks to make a key ring or similar).
OP mike123 10 Aug 2014
In reply to ebygomm:
Hey thanks for that , we re just outside cockermouth so options limited on a Sunday , never would have thought of Argos , it's just around the corner from the party I'm taking the sprogs to this aft. Good job it's raining or I fear I might not be so good humoured about this
 Carolyn 10 Aug 2014
In reply to mike123:

And Argos in Workington has
Hama Bumper Activity Set.
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9366824.htm?cmpid=APPSOCIA...
Or
Wild Science Bath Bomb Factory.
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/2417653.htm?cmpid=APPSOCIA...
Or a number of Lego friends stuff eg
LEGO® First Aid Jungle Bike - 41032.
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/2459776.htm?cmpid=APPSOCIA...

So it depends if your commitment to independent toy shops is deep enough for a trip to Keswick in high season!
OP mike123 10 Aug 2014
In reply to Carolyn:
Thanks Carolyn , I suspect even my "secret" parking spot maybe in use , will have to be extra creative on the parking front. Even the old booths car park and buy a bottle of wine to get the pound back trick might be tested .
OP mike123 10 Aug 2014
In reply to Carolyn:
Thanks for the links , Hama bumper activity set it is . Oh that it has come to this . I m beginning to realise that the 10 day el choro trip next year with the boys has cost me about a gazillion browny points .
OP mike123 10 Aug 2014
In reply to mike123:
For amusement I did ask middle sprog ,.
Me :would £&@) like ninjago lego or a stomp rocket ?
Sprog ad , she a girl . Accompanied by withering look .
Me : But /:;;( and /::;(( both like gun bombs rockets and stuff (both female members of his gang ) and mummy likes guns . (Not strictly true about mum, but she did used to occasionally carry a gun in a former job)
Sprog : but ..........they re not real girls

Carolyn 10 Aug 2014
In reply to mike123:

10 days?! I'm not surprised.

I'm making the most the other half's 5 days in the Dolomites, even though he's trying to pass that off as team training. Which it is, but it'll hardly be a chore....
 Brass Nipples 10 Aug 2014
In reply to mike123:

What's the relationship of the 5 year old to you?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...