UKC

The non-religous thread.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JLS 12 Aug 2014
Having read this wee ditty by Will Self...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-28705174

...I was wondering how secular people here abouts define there "values" and codes of practice for living?

One way I suppose is to align yourself with one of those branches of philisopical thinking, all those "isms" but from the little wiki descriptions I've read, most of the famous ones seem all a bit too unpragmatic to be very useful in navigating lifes daily trials. I mean, nihilism is all very well as an idea but if you kill a policeman just because he inconveninced you while you were speeding to work in the car your day isn't going to go well, is it?

So, without a God, what's your guide for getting through the day and coming to terms with your eventual colapse back to cosmic dust?

Personaly, I've got one of those meanless cobbled together belief systems with not foundation what-so-ever that Will describes. I was wondering if anyone has found a better secular alternative I could adopt.

Scientologists need not reply.
Tim Chappell 12 Aug 2014
In reply to JLS:

> I mean, nihilism is all very well as an idea

Er, no it isn't, it's silly teenage posturing.
In reply to JLS: Is this one of those 'how can expect to be a moral person without the moral teachings of the [insert holy book]' threads?

OP JLS 12 Aug 2014
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

I hope not. I'm not into holy books.
OP JLS 12 Aug 2014
In reply to Tim Chappell:

>"it's silly teenage posturing"

Really, no more to it than that?
 1poundSOCKS 12 Aug 2014
In reply to JLS:

I'd class myself as one, based on the Wiki definition at least.

And no, I'm not teenage, or posturing, maybe a bit silly at times though.
 balmybaldwin 12 Aug 2014
In reply to JLS:

Law, the norms of society (some of which are influenced by religious sensibilities), human empathy, safety, common sense

pretty much the same stuff that went into setting the religious values etc, but minus the holier than thou attitude
In reply to JLS:

Have you tried common sense? It's due for a revival.

Martin
 Coel Hellier 12 Aug 2014
In reply to JLS:

> what's your guide for getting through the day and coming to terms with your eventual colapse back to cosmic dust?

Here you are, as told by Stephen Fry (who explains it much better than I could).

youtube.com/watch?v=Tvz0mmF6NW4&

(By the way, no-one is a nihilist, it's a strawman position, which is why the article you link to discusses it in terms of a fictional character.)
 The New NickB 12 Aug 2014
In reply to maisie:

> Have you tried common sense? It's due for a revival.

> Martin

In its most practiced form, it is highly overrated .
OP JLS 12 Aug 2014
In reply to maisie:

Like.
In reply to The New NickB:

> In its most practiced form, it is highly overrated .

That's a frivolous opinion.

Martin
 The New NickB 12 Aug 2014
In reply to maisie:

> That's a frivolous opinion.

> Martin

No it isn't. Common sense is generally a collection of prejudices, superstition and ignorance.
In reply to The New NickB:

You forgot smugness and reactionary nostalgia.
 skog 12 Aug 2014
In reply to JLS:

Well, I feel bad when I'm aware of someone suffering, worse when it's someone closer to me, or more severe suffering, or longer lasting.

I feel especially bad when I've caused this suffering, or missed a good chance to reduce it.

I feel good when I see someone happy; more so when it's someone closer to me, greater happiness, or something lasting.

I feel especially good when I've caused this happiness, or created a chance for it to happen.

I also value the truth, as knowing how things are and how they work makes it easier for people to better their position.

Most of it comes from that, really.

I appreciate this doesn't work so well for with people who don't care about others, but they're a minority; I suppose the rest of us have to try to persuade them that there's more benefit in cooperation than in conflict, and make sure there are sanctions for unacceptable behaviour.
OP JLS 12 Aug 2014
In reply to Coel Hellier:
Nothing there I'd argue against but it is a bit thin on how you might go about finding anything meaningful to you. I love climbing but I can't help thinking it's just filling in the time... It would be nice to feel like there was more. I accept the possiblity there isn't anything else.
Post edited at 13:39
 skog 12 Aug 2014
In reply to JLS:

> So, without a God, what's your guide for getting through the day and coming to terms with your eventual colapse back to cosmic dust?

Missed this bit.

I deal with that by not viewing it as negative.

It's inevitable, so pretty much irrelevant. I'm just trying to enjoy myself and savour experiences while I can, and see no reason why there needs to be some underlying 'point', or 'purpose'.
OP JLS 12 Aug 2014
In reply to skog:

Like.
Tim Chappell 12 Aug 2014
In reply to JLS:

> >"it's silly teenage posturing"

> Really, no more to it than that?

Ex nihilismo nihil fit.
 Coel Hellier 12 Aug 2014
In reply to JLS:

> It would be nice to feel like there was more.

Isn't it rather hubristic and egocentric for anyone to think that there is "more" in the sense of them and their life actually "mattering" in more than the sense of mattering to themselves, their friends and their family?

> Ex nihilismo nihil fit.

Famously repeated by King Lear (in first scene, at the story-inducing incident), except he says, prophetically, 'nothing shall come of nothing'. The central theme of the whole play (apart from hubris and blindness of all kinds) is perhaps the dangers of nothingness and negativity. Nietzsche takes the idea further with his terrifyingly true aphorism: 'Man would rather will nothingness than will nothing.'
cb294 12 Aug 2014
In reply to JLS:

It is rather expected that people would like to "feel there was more".

I would argue that it was adaptive to attribute agency to natural phenomena we experienced in our everyday life. If you associated the sound of a breaking twig with a cave lion sneaking up on you you would have had a better chance of escaping.

Doesn´t mean that someone moves the sun or a weather god is responsible for wind.

In a way religion could be thought of collateral damage of this eveolutionary adaptive tendency to attribute agency. Doesn´t prove whether there is or isn´t a fundamental meaning in life, but can explain why we are looking for one regardless.

CB
OP JLS 12 Aug 2014

Perhaps it is, but isn't it ok to dream sometimes?

Is your work in science just paying the bills and without any meaning or are you hoping to add to the sum of human knowledge? Isn't that "something more" for you.
OP JLS 12 Aug 2014
In reply to cb294:

>"In a way religion could be thought of collateral damage of this eveolutionary adaptive tendency to attribute agency."

Like.
 tlm 12 Aug 2014
In reply to JLS:

> It would be nice to feel like there was more. I accept the possiblity there isn't anything else.

More?!! Goodness, what more do you want? Maybe what you actually need is less, so that your life is consumed with the struggle to stay alive and then it would feel more meaningful?
 ByEek 12 Aug 2014
In reply to skog:

True. But humans are a weird bunch and seem to value animals more than humans in some cases. So this (Zoo shoots Giraffe and feeds it to Lions):

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/02/09/world/europe/denmark-zoo-giraffe/

received very much more coverage than this: (Syrian conflict)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-17258397

Clearly this is bonkers. In a world devoid of spiritual organisations, is there a mechanism for teaching that we should perhaps value each other a little more sometimes?
OP JLS 12 Aug 2014
In reply to tlm:

Perhaps. Sport climbing does sometime feel like just the way I've found to add difficulty to an otherwise easy life.
 Coel Hellier 12 Aug 2014
In reply to JLS:

> Is your work in science just paying the bills and without any meaning or are you hoping to add to the sum of human knowledge?
> Isn't that "something more" for you.

Something more than what? It is indeed meaningful and important to me and to other humans.
OP JLS 12 Aug 2014

>"It is indeed meaningful and important to me and to other humans."

So you are sorted, you've found something meaningful to hang your life around. What are we dumb asses to do?
 Coel Hellier 12 Aug 2014
In reply to JLS:

> So you are sorted, you've found something meaningful to hang your life around. What are we dumb asses to do?

Follow your interests! Take an interest in the world, and then you'll find it interesting.
OP JLS 12 Aug 2014

>"Take an interest in the world, and then you'll find it interesting."

Meh.

Tim Chappell 12 Aug 2014

> Isn't it rather hubristic and egocentric for anyone to think that there is "more" in the sense of them and their life actually "mattering" in more than the sense of mattering to themselves, their friends and their family?

Not if there *is* more.
 Sir Chasm 12 Aug 2014

> Not if there *is* more.

If.
OP JLS 12 Aug 2014

>"Not if there *is* more."

Right, that's it, you're barred!
 Coel Hellier 12 Aug 2014

> Not if there *is* more.

Well, it is certainly hubristic and egocentric to adopt the attitude that "there *must* be something more, it can't be the case that I just die and that's the end of me, because I'm too important for that".
 skog 12 Aug 2014
In reply to ByEek:

> In a world devoid of spiritual organisations, is there a mechanism for teaching that we should perhaps value each other a little more sometimes?

Maybe - that's way beyond me!

I try to value everything I think might be able to value itself; this scales down for less intelligent or aware creatures (and, I suppose, therefore has to scale up if we encounter more intelligent or aware ones).

Optimistically, with better understanding of the world, we can afford better lives for everyone and reduce conflict. Pessimistically, there will always be conflict caused by misunderstanding and self-interest.

Note, though, that the examples you provide are -not- happening in a world devoid of spiritual organisations - such organisations certainly don't prevent these things.
 tlm 12 Aug 2014
In reply to JLS:

> Personaly, I've got one of those meanless cobbled together belief systems with not foundation what-so-ever that Will describes. I was wondering if anyone has found a better secular alternative I could adopt.

I've got my own philosophy on life, which has actually been very practical and helpful to me. It's a mixture of all sorts of bits and bobs and I often find echoes in other places, as though people are explaining the same ideas in their own way (in things like CBT, Buddhism and neurology). I must say that for me personally, it has been a life changing thing, and when I first thought of it, I was very evangelical about it (as old folk on here will know!) as I wanted everyone else to have the benefits that I had gained!

But now I think that people don't always want to know and besides, I've got more used to it... but I still always want to spread my own philosophy to those I love if I see them unhappy.... It has made my life much more joyous and I haven't felt that black, heavy, emptiness of a lead weight inside since I started thinking this way (about 10 years or so now) for which I will be eternally grateful!
 DaveHK 12 Aug 2014
In reply to JLS:

> ...I was wondering how secular people here abouts define there "values" and codes of practice for living?

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you is a good, general maxim and none the worse for having been used by many religions.

Or if you prefer: "Be excellent to each other"
 skog 12 Aug 2014
In reply to DaveHK:

> Do unto others as you would have them do unto you is a good, general maxim and none the worse for having been used by many religions.

This can fall down quite badly, due people enjoying and wanting different things, and to it often being quite hard to tell. Though it probably works quite well on the most serious matters.

> Or if you prefer: "Be excellent to each other"

That one's better!
 MG 12 Aug 2014
In reply to skog:

Also when people don't reciprocate it fails.
 DaveHK 12 Aug 2014
In reply to skog:

> This can fall down quite badly, due people enjoying and wanting different things, and to it often being quite hard to tell. Though it probably works quite well on the most serious matters.

True. It's not perfect but it's a good starting point especially if you take it to mean that you should not do anything to others that they would see as negative.
 skog 12 Aug 2014
In reply to MG:

> Also when people don't reciprocate it fails.

It depends how badly they 'don't reciprocate'!

Helping someone selfish, but mostly harmless, still feels good to me - it isn't a zero sum game.

I'm not inclined to go too far out of my way to help such people, though!
 Duncan Bourne 12 Aug 2014
In reply to JLS:

What is meaningful to you is individual to you. You say the video is thin on the ground about finding meaning but to me it is the very essence of it. Your very existence is your meaning, your thoughts are your meaning and any meaning you find beyond that will be a reflection of those two.

But as to values my values are a product of my experience, I have lifted them from various philosophies, friends and life experiences and forged them into system for living that gives me guidance and support.
In reply to MG:

> Also when people don't reciprocate it fails.

only if you expect them to reciprocate. A good deed is its own reward
craigloon 12 Aug 2014
In reply to JLS:

Morality is a relatively recent feature of "spiritual organisations" and it is likely that morality predates any of these organisations. It seems to have emerged out of the rules that governed early hunter-gatherer societies, based on the needs of living together. It is not even uniquely human and in simpler forms also appears among groups of chimpanzees.

These were some of the ideas that came out during a talk I attended at the Edinburgh Book Festival last week by Matthew Kneale, author of a book called An Atheist's History of Belief. Seems sensible to me.
Tim Chappell 12 Aug 2014

> Well, it is certainly hubristic and egocentric to adopt the attitude that "there *must* be something more, it can't be the case that I just die and that's the end of me, because I'm too important for that".

Yes. But I don't know anyone who adopts this attitude. Still, don't let facts spoil your fun. By all means blaze away at straw men if it pleases you.
 Coel Hellier 12 Aug 2014

> But I don't know anyone who adopts this attitude. Still, don't let facts spoil your fun.

Oh come on, the attitude "there must be something more than this" is very common.
 DaveHK 12 Aug 2014

> Oh come on, the attitude "there must be something more than this" is very common.

I agree but its more often born of fear and hope than egocentrism like you suggested.
 marsbar 12 Aug 2014
https://members.scouts.org.uk/supportresources/959/the-scout-law
In reply to JLS:

These days Scouts don't insist on religion.

The Scout law may be a basis for doing the rigbt things

> Yes. But I don't know anyone who adopts this attitude. Still, don't let facts spoil your fun. By all means blaze away at straw men if it pleases you.

Do you know *everybody*? And bearing in mind the openness of your views, are you certain that anyone would admit such attitudes to you? Ironic that you'd speak in terms of facts when considering people's attitudes to our position in the wrinkly firmament.

Martin

(FWIW, I don't think for one moment that your god exists, but whilst my science can explain pretty much everything attributed to him/her/it/other, it can't refute his/her/its/whatever's existence. Which doesn't bother me at all)
Tim Chappell 12 Aug 2014

Mere assertion, no evidence.

> Oh come on, the attitude "there must be something more than this" is very common.

Jon Stewart 12 Aug 2014
In reply to JLS:
> So, without a God, what's your guide for getting through the day and coming to terms with your eventual colapse back to cosmic dust?

Pragmatism. I'm here, I've got choices, what are the pros and cons of each one?

> Personaly, I've got one of those meanless cobbled together belief systems with not foundation what-so-ever that Will describes. I was wondering if anyone has found a better secular alternative I could adopt.

Just as Steven Fry says, if you want meaning in your life, do something you believe in. Family, work, art, sport, whatever you think is worth doing. Meaning isn't something that exists out there - a search for that kind of meaning is going to be disappointing.

If you want a religious experience, a sense of awe at the universe, then find out about the unbelievable stuff that the world is made of. Find out about the complexity of a single living cell, or about the way that the very fabric of space and time is bent leading to the stars and galaxies in the sky.

Human beings have evolved to need this sense of 'meaning' amongst a whole host of emotional needs. If you find yourself living with no family, no friends, no meaningful work, and nothing urgent like running away from a lion to occupy you, then it's likely that you won't feel well. So I would advise understanding these needs and making sure that they're met. Looking out into the world in search of some externally provided meaning is either going to lead in disappointment, or falling into the religious trap.
Post edited at 20:32
 DaveHK 12 Aug 2014
In reply to JLS:

>

Whenever life get's you down Mr S...

youtube.com/watch?v=buqtdpuZxvk&

> Yes. But I don't know anyone who adopts this attitude. Still, don't let facts spoil your fun. By all means blaze away at straw men if it pleases you.

My RE teacher had that attitude.
In reply to JLS:

Sybil Fawlty: You seem very jolly, Basil.

Basil Fawlty: Hm?

Sybil Fawlty: You seem very jolly.

Basil Fawlty: Jolly?

Sybil Fawlty: Yes, jolly. Sort of happy.

Basil Fawlty: [with feigned reminiscence] Oh, happy. Yes, I remember that. No, not that I noticed, dear. Well, I'll report it if it happens, though.

Sybil Fawlty: Well, you look happy to me, Basil.

Basil Fawlty: No, I'm not, dear.

Sybil Fawlty: All that dancing about, singing and rubbing your hands.

Basil Fawlty: No, just my way of getting through the day, dear. The, uh, Samaritans were engaged.

LeeWood 13 Aug 2014
In reply to JLS:

> ...I was wondering how secular people here abouts define there "values" and codes of practice for living?

Take inspiration from Sommersby (The Return of Martin Guerre).

When facing death, you want better company than a hangman, or even a priest; you want someone who believes in you. Belief implies respect, love and acceptance. This is the same regardless of wealth, religous belief or fame. None of these will help you as will the company of just one person who really believes in you.

Now work backwards, remembering that any day could be your last. Do what you must to make your own existence credible to yourself and everyone else - your family, friends and neighbors. And remember that we now live in a global village.

PS. Try not to finsih life by getting hung
 Chris Murray 13 Aug 2014

> Mere assertion, no evidence.

Wow. Pots and kettles. How about some evidence to back up your "not if there is more" conjecture. Without evidence statements like this are meaningless.
 MG 13 Aug 2014
In reply to Duncan Bourne:

> only if you expect them to reciprocate. A good deed is its own reward

I meant fails in the sense that you get done over. For example you stop to help someone who is hurt and they take the opportunity to steal your wallet.
 Chris Murray 13 Aug 2014
In reply to JLS:

The idea that morality derives from god leads to a conclusion that most believers wouldn't agree with.

-All morality derives from god.
-Therefore god is the sole arbiter of what is "good" and what is "evil". The statement "This is good." could be replaced with the statement "This is what god wants.".
-So to say "God is good." becomes no more than saying "God is what god wants." God becomes the arbiter of his (sorry about the male pronoun) own morality. Reductio ad absurdum.

You can replace "god" with any purported sole arbiter of moral authority (the church, government, Tony Blair etc.) with the same result and for the same reason. All fail to cope with self referential statements. There can be no sole arbiter of moral authority, and personally, as an atheist, I find it mildly offensive when religious people ask me how I can be a "good" person if I don't believe in god. A person I know once asked me that then told me that if he didn't believe, he'd probably go and kill "some f**£er". I think that said more about him than about me.

Duncan Bourne 13 Aug 2014
In reply to MG:

Ah but you didn't say that originally.
Still I take the point. I take the view that my default position is to help if I can but help should always be tempered by a good assessment of the situation so helping up an old lady who has fallen is relatively low risk (unless you put your back out) while helping up a drunk on a Saturday night might entail some measure of risk and should be undertaken with that risk in mind. In the help stakes I am the priority helpfulness is not weakness and doesnot leave you any more exposed than you let it.
Of course there are things that you don't see coming but that is the same for anything
 DaveHK 13 Aug 2014
In reply to MG:

> I meant fails in the sense that you get done over. For example you stop to help someone who is hurt and they take the opportunity to steal your wallet.

Yes but the question was about what code of morality you use. The moral standards of others are irrelevant to that.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...