UKC

New car keys? Why so much money!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I just bought a Ford Transit Connect privately but it only came with one key. I'm being very careful to not lose it or lock it somewhere, however I need a spare for various safety reasons.

I just called up a Ford dealer and got quoted £183.50 for 1 new key, and the reprogramming of the old. I had heard horror stories of new key pricing, so is this a bitter pill I'm going to have to swallow or is there another solution?

Thanks
 Yanis Nayu 12 Aug 2014
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

Because they can. (((
 JLS 12 Aug 2014
In reply to Malcolm Tucker's Sweary Aunt:
>"Because they can."

I can't believe the free market hasn't provided a third part solution at £150. This is a terrible state of affairs. I didn't survive Thatcher's Britain and the Poll Tax just for a monopoly on Ford transit keys to appear. What's wrong with entrepreneurs these days? Can't they see a business opportunity when it pokes them in both eyes simultaneously?
Post edited at 15:20
 bigbobbyking 12 Aug 2014

Saw a sign outside a timson saying they did car keys at up to 70% less than dealer prices. So might be worth seeking one of them out. Sign suggested they could do the electronic gizmo bits too.
 Edd Reed 12 Aug 2014
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant: Timpson were pretty reasonable, even better if you are not bothered about having remote locking
 ByEek 12 Aug 2014
In reply to Edd Reed:

> Timpson were pretty reasonable, even better if you are not bothered about having remote locking

Some keys have an electronic chip that must be present to start the car. Without it, nothing will happen.
 BnB 12 Aug 2014

I think you will find that key is relatively cheap. My last car carried a penalty of over a grand for a new key.

If you type car key programming, ford transit into ebay there's a guy offering a new key and programming for £70.00.
 rj_townsend 12 Aug 2014

It's worth doing a Google on re-programming keys. Get a unit of eBay, and a blank shaft - cutting the ket itself isn't too difficult. There is a sequence for programming a key to the vehicle.
 Jenny C 12 Aug 2014

Well worth getting a replacement cut, so at least you have a spare door key if you loose yours (or if like my Mum you are a serial "locking the keys in the boot" kind of person).

Very unlikely though that with a newer car the ignition doesn't need a microchip to work, in which case you are almost certainly looking at a dealer job
 gethin_allen 12 Aug 2014

I got a ford key cut by timpsons for about £45 without the remote. They wanted ~£85 for one with the remote.
you can buy key blanks and remote key fobs from E-bay and on most cars you can reprogram the keys yourself if you have the master key which is normally a basic non remote key with a coloured tab on it.
interdit 12 Aug 2014
In reply to ByEek:
> > Timpson were pretty reasonable, even better if you are not bothered about having remote locking

> Some keys have an electronic chip that must be present to start the car. Without it, nothing will happen.

You are talking about an immobiliser chip, or something more complicated?

High street key cutters can do keys with immobiliser chips in them - very much cheaper than a dealer if you have the original key for them to clone the chip info from.

Thirty - something quid for my Merc van key, and they had the blank key in stock too so did it instantly. You may or may not have to get them to get a blank key in with the right chip.
Post edited at 16:42
 Rick Graham 12 Aug 2014

as above posts.

Shop around. I got quoted from £40 to £200 from two different Vauxhall dealers.

The dearer one expressed surprise that I was not shocked at the quote.
He was stuck for words when I told him I knew they were robbing B's but was just asking for fun as I was in the area. Obviously they just try it on.
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant: I don't know where you are but I got a replacement key for my T5 including remote locking and coding for £140 from this guy (Stockport/Manchester):

http://www.autolocksmithstockport.co.uk/

Wherever you are there will be someone like him. Do not go to a dealer, they are branded thieves!

Sharp 13 Aug 2014

If you're with the AA you can get key cover, for free I think but you have to register. If you lose your second one (which you just found tonight) then you'll be able to get a replacement for free.
 g1m147 14 Aug 2014
As a rule you order a new key with an electronic chip specific to your car in the key head. The dealer then applies to the manufacturers for a code to code the keys to the vehicle. That way any key you have lost or had niked can't start your car / van, only the keys coded can. This "coding in" process usually takes about 40 mins.
That's why it costs what it costs.

Cheers.
Post edited at 13:21

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...