UKC

Best place to flog textbooks?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Reach>Talent 15 Aug 2014
I've got a load of university textbooks (mostly chemistry) that I could do with getting rid of as they are taking up a fair quantity of bookshelf and I don't really use them any more. I'm not sure of the best way to offload them so I'd be interested in other peoples experiences; is it worth ebaying them or something like gumtree/ advert at a uni campus?

Thanks.
 ByEek 15 Aug 2014
In reply to Reach>Talent:

Sell any expensive ones and give away the rest. It is quite a nice legacy passing on your previous fonts of knowledge. I recently gave away my Stroud Engineering Maths books to a budding young Mech Eng to be under grad. I hope he passes them on again in his own time.
 Doug 15 Aug 2014

How old are they ? I sold some of my old chemistry text books (via a 2nd hand book service run by the student union) as I didn't think I'd ever need them again & found that as they were 2 or 3 editions out of date that they were almost worthless (although I doubt much of the organic chemistry had changed)
OP Reach>Talent 15 Aug 2014
In reply to Doug:

I graduated in 2005 but they were all the most up to date editions at the time I purchased them.
 John Cooke 15 Aug 2014

Try Amazon Trade In
 Coel Hellier 15 Aug 2014

> I graduated in 2005 but they were all the most up to date editions at the time I purchased them.

Publishers have responded to the second-hand market in main university texts by bringing out new editions every year or two. The updates don't amount to much and are not at all necessary, but still it severely dents the resale value of older versions.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...