UKC

Going to Font- travel insurance vs E111 card (EHIC)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 phja 15 Aug 2014
If I have an E111 card is it worth getting additional travel insurance? Anyone know what the costs would be for say a broken leg or should I play it safe and go for (BMC) travel insurance?

Thanks
ceri 15 Aug 2014
In reply to phja: Have you considered additional costs such as what you'd do if you could no longer drive home cos your leg is now in plaster?
 elsewhere 15 Aug 2014
In reply to phja:
I think insurance pays for the extras not covered by ehic but not for the basics that are covered by ehic so you still need the ehic. Check the t+c.
 pwo 15 Aug 2014
In reply to phja:

you'll need the insurance as well to cover your proverbial. E111 only covers basic procedures and you'll still have to pay up front and claim back from the nhs when you get home (subject to how the practice your getting treatment from decide to process you). If you need treatment for anything NOT covered by the card it will cost you an arm and leg (unless you've already lost them).
In reply to phja:

You SHOULD have both. it's not a good idea to go abroad (even just to Europe) without adequate insurance. It's just not worth it.

The worst case scenario is that you die abroad and not having Insurance means your loved ones will have to find 10's of 1000's to have your body repatriated just because you were too stingy to get insurance. Not a nice thought at all.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...