UKC

Twinkletoes, Baggy Point - Lethal rock warning

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
We did this enjoyable VS yesterday but were very concerned by the block that the SW Climbs guide describes as "detached", just below the top.

This half ton, moving block will need no more than a quick pull on a crowbar to get it out. It has the potential to kill/maim more than one person should it decide to head south on a busy day.

I'm now back home but I strongly recommend that someone takes a crowbar down there and despatches it ASAP. You would be doing a service to us all!
 andrewmc 19 Aug 2014
In reply to Frank the Husky:

When I did this the other day it did wobble disturbingly so I decided not to stick a cam in the inviting slot behind it (actually I stuck it in but then took it out afterwards) but it didn't feel like it was going to part company with the cliff in the immediate future?

That said if someone experienced with trundling does knock it off it wouldn't really affect the route at that point as I think the difficulties are pretty much over! It might hit a lot of things on the way down the slab though... alternatively, worth letting the National Trust know (since they own the cliff)?
In reply to andrewmcleod: I'd probably avoid telling the NT anything about loose blocks, they don't need to know that! I agree that it would have zero effect on the route. When it will part company is unknown, but it will, and it's better that it does so under controlled conditions.

LastBoyScout 20 Aug 2014
In reply to Frank the Husky:

Better bolt it and the cliff and chain the two together

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...