UKC

Best places to climb in a dry spell?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mike lawrence? 20 Aug 2014
I went climbing up on Scafell and the East Buttress this dry spell and they were fantastic, everyone should go when there's a period of good weather, such fantastic routes across the grades. Anyway they were both pretty deserted and it got me wondering what other great crags are out there that one should make a beeline to when there's been weeks of good weather? Cloggy is obviously one as is Cyrn Las, loads in Scotland I guess, some of the moorland crags in the Peak maybe. Any suggestions?

mike

GrahamD 20 Aug 2014
In reply to mike lawrence?:

Some of the mid wales crags. I'm still waiting to try Voie Suisse and a few others !
 Rog Wilko 20 Aug 2014

There's a couple of good VSs on Scrubby Crag which I'm still hoping to get to sometime, but it's getting to be long walk in for me without a Sherpa. Another obvious one is Neckband in Langdale, and I can recommend the daunting-looking VS up the corner on the left of High Crag in Buttermere valley - normally wet and dank I believe, but superb after a fortnight's dry weather, as is the nearby Eagle Front on Eagle crag - can't speak for any of the other routes there though.
 Michael Gordon 20 Aug 2014

what dry spell is this?
 Jonny2vests 20 Aug 2014

Pillar.
 pec 20 Aug 2014

If you want an easily accessible crag to visit in a drought then Craig Ddu in the Llanberis pass is the place to go, otherwise most of the higher mountain or moorland crags fit the bill.
 shantaram 20 Aug 2014
In reply to mike lawrence?: Gable Crag (not the Napes crags on the sunny south side of Gable). For the VS - E3 climber it is heaven. Neckband, Langdale, Bowfell crags - try Sword of Damocles, and Cloggy of course.
In reply to shantaram:

ah yes Gable Crag, the coldest crag in the lakes sounds suitable! Looks like next year now though.

thanks for all the ideas,

mike
 Postmanpat 21 Aug 2014

Craig y Rhaeadr in the Pass?

I strongly suspect that the whole concept of climbing there unless it's frozen is a bit of a myth but you'd certainly be one of the few if you got a summer ascent there.
 Bob 21 Aug 2014
In reply to Postmanpat:

I've done a couple of routes on the LH side, quite bold from memory, only done the icy ones in the middle.
 Postmanpat 21 Aug 2014
In reply to Bob:

> I've done a couple of routes on the LH side, quite bold from memory, only done the icy ones in the middle.

Doubt if I've seen it dry since 1976 and always suspect if it did dry out it would be covered in ten years moss and assorted vegetation!
 Tom Last 21 Aug 2014

North coast Cornish zawns.

The Great Zawn
Whirlpool Buttress
Zawn Duel, Carn Gloose
Gurnard's Head

Etc.
 LakesWinter 21 Aug 2014

Pillar for sure.

That VS on High Crag that Rog mentions is dry after a few dry days, not 2 weeks and is superb
 Captain Solo 21 Aug 2014

Creag an Dubh Loch
The Chasm
Central Corner, Beinn Eighe
Hell's Lum central section
Orion Face (The Long Climb)
Stob Coire nan Lochan (Unicorn etc)
North Face Gearr Aonach (Yo Yo etc)
 Mark Bannan 21 Aug 2014
In reply to Captain Solo:

Hi Ewan! From personal experience, I agree with these 2:

> Creag an Dubh Loch
> North Face Gearr Aonach (Yo Yo etc)

Also, Slime Wall on the Buachaille (surprised it's not been mentioned yet).
Post edited at 19:34
 Rick Graham 21 Aug 2014
In reply to Postmanpat:
Craig y Rhaeadr in the Pass?

Did a route each side last summer.

Only a bit damp looking on " the Sewer "

Will go back in the next dry spell, good routes.
Post edited at 19:41

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...