UKC

When are damsons ready?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
mick taylor 21 Aug 2014
Anyone know? Spied a few heavily laden trees a few years back couple of miles from where I live (Wigan) and just wondering whether to take a wander.
 Phil1919 21 Aug 2014
In reply to mick taylor:

I stopped on the road near Kendal at a heavily laden one overhanging road. It had all the signs of being ripe yet fruit still pretty hard to the touch. Another week or so? Having said that, they were on sale in the market in Kendal today. Blackberries have been brilliant and still are.
 Bob Hughes 21 Aug 2014
In reply to mick taylor:

wait for them to be in distress
mick taylor 21 Aug 2014
In reply to Bob Hughes:

Clint. Just frozen batches of blackberry sauce this morning - loads of the stuff. Sister-in-law gave us a jar of damson jam this weekend - freshly made in Cheshire - totally delicious so I've gotten the bug. Perhaps take a mooch this weekend on the off chance.

Bob - took me a while that one - bit late in the day for me!
In reply to mick taylor:

What's your plan? Jam or gin?
 DaveHall246 21 Aug 2014
In reply to mick taylor:

They've been on sale in our local greengrocers for the last 2 or 3 weeks.
Removed User 21 Aug 2014
In reply to mick taylor:

our trees (derbyshire) are laden but still very firm, be 2 or 3 weeks yet for us. ,
 galpinos 21 Aug 2014
In reply to Johnny_Grunwald:

For Gin don't they have to picked the morning after the first frost and pricked with a silver fork......
 felt 21 Aug 2014
In reply to mick taylor:

V nearly there at Hayles Fruit Farm, Gloucs, I'd say. Looks like a bumper crop.
 Phil1919 21 Aug 2014
In reply to mick taylor:

Yes, I've got the bug as well. There is nothing like fresh blackberries and damsons as an advert for eating fruit that's in season.
mick taylor 21 Aug 2014
In reply to Johnny_Grunwald:

jam and tarts. my grandma was a womens institute grand master damson jam and tart makker from grasmere so i have a hard act to follow. sloes for gin - spied some bushes this eve whilst picking more blackberries!
mick taylor 21 Aug 2014
In reply to Phil1919:

totally. also found a brilliant plum tree - tastiest ive ever eaten - deep red, juicy, sweet but tart near the stone.

last year i harvested tonnes of sweet chestnuts, blanched, peeled and frozen. still eating them now - delicious falafel burgery type things.
 aln 21 Aug 2014
In reply to Phil1919:

> Blackberries have been brilliant and still are.

Not ripe here.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...