UKC

Security cameras for home use

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Alan M 23 Aug 2014
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can recommend home security CCTV. Looking online there seems to be a wide choice of devices available either hardwired or wifi, bullet or dome etc.

Basically, caught some arse trying to break in. I was still up and awake watching TV in the Living room and the cheeky git was trying to manipulate the kitchen door. Luckily he bolted when he was confronted with the curtain being pulled back and a mad man screaming, ranting, raving and grunting on the other side of the window.

Speaking to neighbours a house in the street was burgled a few days before and there have been several other burglaries locally.

Before anyone says about other forms of security I have a modern alarm, modern doors and locks, security lights and clean line of site up and down the street etc. This guy was either trying his luck or on something. Just want to get some CCTV for extra security.

Thanks
 sleavesley 23 Aug 2014
In reply to Alan M:

Maplin do a fair few. I have one of the older wireless systems that records to a memory card within the viewer.
The viewer (7 inch LCD) is plugged into the router so that I can see live pictures (but not recordings) and records onto a memory card. Has night vision capabilities but covers access to side of house and front door which has PIR floodlights.
Also worthwhile getting something like selecta DNA house kit and putting the stickers up to discourage scum.
That just shows that everything is on my data base and can be tracked to the owner.
I also use immobilise to store info on all valuables and electricals as that is free to use, just input serial codes take pictures etc.

Hope doesn't happen again.
OP Alan M 23 Aug 2014
In reply to sleavesley:

Cheers, there's a Maplin about 10 minutes away so will go down there tomorrow. Is it best to go for the bullet cameras or the dome style? The only disadvantage I can see for the bullet camera is the bracket!.

Will look in to the Selecta DNA house kit sounds interesting I have just googled it. Also, the immobilise stuff you mention

I have to say once the adrenalin subsided and I calmed down I felt ill, didn't sleep at all afterwards, if the guy had got in before I confronted him I dread to think what could have happened.

Hope it doesn't happen again either.
 sleavesley 23 Aug 2014
In reply to Alan M:
Just had a look at Maplin and they don't do the one that I have.
It really is dependent on how much you would like to spend and what you want from it.
If I was buying now, I would probably opt for the IVS camera and control, this can send you a photo/notification or video clip to your smartphone etc, although the downside would be it has to be wired up.

If you go wireless the camera will still need a power source.
I have the DNA and have put it on most things in awkward places to make it hard to get rid of.

I can also advise on having composite doors rather and UPVC. These are a lot harder to put through and couple with a high security lock would put a chance thief off.
Post edited at 22:36
 The Lemming 23 Aug 2014
In reply to Alan M:
I looked into this when I was having neighbour problems. The easy part was getting cameras, which I got from Maplins. The hard part was finding suitable software. I tried just about every available free and free to try security software before signing with Sighthound.
https://www.sighthound.com

I have one camera, with excellent night time vision, plugged into a USB dongle working off its own dedicated second hand computer which I bought from this very site.

I have the computer working 24/7 which reboots itself once a week. I discovered that the computer kept falling if left on endlessly. I do not have a monitor, mouse, or keyboard attached to the computer. I chose to install Teamviewer which allowed me to work/view the computer from anywhere in the world saving the need to buy a monitor.

I kept my project on a budget.

I did buy a dedicated camera+PVR kit from Maplins but the kit had one major flaw in that it recorded in a propriety format which could only be viewed on the PVR device. Not exactly a good idea if you can't get the evidence off to give to the police.
Post edited at 22:59

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...