UKC

Fixed staples and ropes at Hodge close?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 saffy 24 Aug 2014
Now this might just be me, but have there always been staples and bolts that traverse along the main wall just above the water level? There's fixed ropes there at the moment that I know haven't been there for long which made me notice the almost via ferrata traverse just above the water level.
It doesn't massively bother me, although the fixed ropes are an eyesore and the possible chance that a randomer could get themselves in a bit of a situation if they followed the line of staples.

Does anybody know the reason for this or how long they have been in place? My guess is that it is fairly recent as it looked like the rock had been recently drilled but I didn't get the chance of a close look, I'll probably get told differently though!

jon_gill1 25 Aug 2014
In reply to saffy:
from memory the staples have been there for years!as for the bolts I couldn't tell you!I seem to remember reading about the staples in a guide book as access to some routes.

Cheers
 Tradical 25 Aug 2014
In reply to saffy:
No idea on the rope, staples are normally there.
 petegunn 25 Aug 2014
In reply to saffy:

The staples are old but the bolts may be new. It used to be quite exciting traversing the staples especially the bent ones with no hand holds just palming off the wall, to get to the routes.
 Geordie Jeans 26 Aug 2014
In reply to saffy: Ropes have been there for years. I think the rope is the least of your worries when referring to eyesores. The cars, washing machines and microwave along with other debris thrown off the top are much uglier and more noticeable to the passing tourist.
In reply to saffy:

they are fixed abseil anchors for the scuba divers. do no touch!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...