UKC

PORTLAND rockfall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Steve nevers 25 Aug 2014
Just saw this posted up by the TCA.

"There's been a massive rockfall in Portland - TCA routesetter John Alcock reports:

Elise and I were climbing on the Road Rage area of Cheyne Weares this afternoon, when at around 1500 there was a sound like a major quarry explosion and a huge rockfall came from the Coralized area nearby. It was so big that rocks bounced into the sea.

When the dust had settled, I went to edge of the debris to see if anyone had been caught. I discovered that what I estimate to be several hundred tonnes of rock had fallen from the cliff just left of Drowning on Dry Land, the scene of a smaller collapse a few years ago. Where the photo on page 211 of the recent Rockfax shows a smooth wall, there is now a horizontal roof running across the cliff at the obvious break at two thirds height and Drowning on Dry Land is now bounded on its left by a big corner. The debris extends from the cliff all the way to the sea. Some very unstable looking pillars remain below the roof.

I couldn't see or hear any sign of anyone, though I don't check thoroughly as I felt the area was still pretty dangerous, but by talking to the coastguard (who came along to check) and climbers who'd been on Neddyfields Main, I am almost certain that no one was caught. We and another couple who went for a swim seem to have been the only people to have walked under the cliff today. If it had happened at the same time last Sunday there would probably have been several fatalities as a number of climbers were belaying or sitting in the line of the fall.

The boulder field under the cliff is still passable (we came out that way) though unstable and dirty. Personally I would move quickly through the area. given there is still unstable rock above. Rocket from the Crypt looks largely unaffected though there may be debris on the lower ledges. I am not certain as I didn't go close, but I think Drowning on Dry Land probably now starts up tottering pillars and its lower ledges are covered in debris. It may not now be justifiable.

It was interesting that such a huge fall occurred at such an apparently random time: i.e. not during or after heavy rainfall or when it was extremely hot or cold."

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...