UKC

What have I done to my shoulder?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Reach>Talent 28 Aug 2014
I have a rather sore shoulder, the discomfort is roughly straight above my armpit toward the front of the shoulder. I think the injury was probably the result of using the assisted dip station at the gym but I'm not sure.
Apart from feeling uncomfortable and being unable to go anywhere near the dip station the shoulder feels really weak; any bar lifts above shoulder level feel really laboured although the shoulder feels better with lifts where I'm using one of those Vipr whatsits (so hands palm inwards rather than facing away).

Any armchair diagnosis and rehab suggestions?

Thanks
 riddle 28 Aug 2014
In reply to Reach>Talent:

You should go see either a Physio or your local soft tissue therpist. Try the www.theisrm.com directory for your nearest therapist.

Diagnosis would be impossible without getting hands-on.

Dips use lots of different muscles depending on your posture throughout the movement. I would suggest resting for at least 3 days, during which time get some treatment.
OP Reach>Talent 28 Aug 2014
In reply to riddle:

Thanks. The suspect dip was over a week ago and while I haven't been resting completely I have been very careful with it. I'll see how it feels after a few more days and then get it looked at if it doesn't improve.
 steve taylor 28 Aug 2014
I've knacked both of my shoulders in the last 8 months.

Left one was diagnosed as Supraspinitis (sp.). It hurt when being used, but not when resting. 2-3 months of physio fixed it.

Right one has just been diagnosed as impingement. Hurt all of the time and can't lift the arm above shoulder height without pain. Just started getting physio for it and it's showing an improvement already. However, if physio doesn't fix it, it will need something more drastic (cortisone/operation).

Physio keeps telling me to rest, but gentle climbing doesn't seem to make it any worse. I'm sticking to the physio routine very carefully though.

Go see the doctor and get a referral so that an expert can sort you out.
Post edited at 19:49
 omerta 28 Aug 2014

I've buggered my right shoulder up and have had two operations, but it's physio that's always made the difference, so I second (third, fourth) the above posts which recommend seeing a physio pronto
 riddle 28 Aug 2014

Go now, if you want to return climbing, dipping, etc sooner rather than later. You don't need a referral to see sports massage or soft tissue therapy.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...