UKC

Royal Marines Commando School

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tony the Blade 29 Aug 2014
I realise that this is way too low-brow for much of the UKC collective...

Who has been watching RMCS on Ch4?
I have and love it, the sheer raw emotion of it, the gut wrenching decisions to be made and the overall team playing really got to me.

I really do wish I could do it again.
 TobyA 29 Aug 2014
In reply to Tony the Blade:

It all seemed rather friendly, supportive and lighthearted to me. Where was the ruthless and brutal bullying? The outrageous racism, homophobia and casual misogyny? Everyone seemed rather, well errr, nice.
 abr1966 29 Aug 2014

Seems a bit soft don't you think Tony compared to the past? Half of them were so unfit I can't understand how they were even accepted....
 Yanis Nayu 29 Aug 2014

Yep, good series. I've enjoyed it.
 Neil Williams 30 Aug 2014

Yeah, I've enjoyed it, though I doubt I would be able to hack it (35 is too old anyway ). Was surprised by how laddish and immature the trainers (I forget their ranks) sometimes were, though. Put quite a good human edge on it all.

Neil
 Neil Williams 30 Aug 2014
In reply to abr1966:

Yeah, I did wonder that!

Neil
 dale1968 30 Aug 2014
In reply to abr1966:

If you really think back I am sure there were guys in your troop who also should not have been there, they did not pass out... there certainly were in my troop
 abr1966 30 Aug 2014
In reply to dale1968:

A few but not many....i thought these days that the prmc was desigmed partly to make the fitness levels on entry very clear...maybe numbers applying are down these days..?!
Moley 30 Aug 2014

Rather pissed me off that at every opportunity the commentator kept saying "This is the hardest training course in the world". Would have thought that was open to debate.
 abr1966 30 Aug 2014
In reply to Moley:

Having been there i didn't think it was a good portrayal of the training....it didn't capture the relentlessness of the physical training.....as to how it compres to other infantry/basic training i still think its the best in UK but i'm sure there are some ex paras on here who will dispute that!
 dale1968 30 Aug 2014
In reply to Moley:

It's a fair point, I also thought it was a bit OTT, having had friends who have done P company and been in the Legion,I would say there all much alike but with a different twist
 Bobling 30 Aug 2014
Watched a few while doing the ironing the other day (fittingly). Really enjoyed it. That posh guy with the injury talking to his equally posh mum "Can't they just fix it? You know like open it up and put something in it to fix it?" poor sod. No roll mat fighting though - disappointing.

Also is there any more heartbreaking railway platform in the country than that one at Lympstone?
Post edited at 11:44
 Yanis Nayu 30 Aug 2014
In reply to dale1968:

Yeah, I think the "hardest training course in the world" bit was overdone. I'm not sure how other forces' training compares, but P company must be as hard if not harder.
 Jim Hamilton 30 Aug 2014

I saw an episode where there was a rather chubby person in charge, and the filming kept coming back to show him eating at his desk, and I wondered whether the fitness requirements are relaxed once you get the green beret ?
Moley 30 Aug 2014
In reply to Moley:

> Rather pissed me off that at every opportunity the commentator kept saying "This is the hardest training course in the world". Would have thought that was open to debate.

Other than that, I enjoyed watching it, made good TV.
 tom84 30 Aug 2014
In reply to Bobling:

> Also is there any more heartbreaking railway platform in the country than that one at Lympstone?

no
 tom84 30 Aug 2014
In reply to Bobling:

> Also is there any more heartbreaking railway platform in the country than that one at Lympstone?

unless you've been on selection, then probably yes!
 Rich W Parker 30 Aug 2014

Gave me the cold shivers, and a little sense of nostalgia too, particularly standing on the stairs getting moaned at. I see they have time off now, not sure I would have liked that! I may never have gone back.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...