UKC

The Curry Mile

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 30 Aug 2014
Whilst we were in Manchester yesterday our taxi drive took us along Wilmslow Road and, pointing out all the ethnic restaurants and shops, told us about it being nick-named "Curry Mile".

Has anyone eaten in any of these establishments? How good are they?
 ThunderCat 30 Aug 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

Good and bad really. Although it's really only half a mile long. Suppose it's a curry mile if you walk all the way down one side and up the other.

There is an urban myth that the whole thing is served by a vast underground industrial sized curry kitchen with conveyor belts and dumb waiters serving each of the establishments above.

Skol 30 Aug 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

It's a pets nightmare too. Someone I went to uni with found a cats identity tag in his supper!
 Steve Perry 30 Aug 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

If you want a curry at 0600 its a lifesaver!
 mbh 30 Aug 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

Trying to think of somewhere I have been where there is an Italian equivalent of this. Grenoble, under the Bastille? I ought to know, I lived there for a while, but memories fade.....
 ThunderCat 30 Aug 2014
In reply to Skol:

> It's a pets nightmare too. Someone I went to uni with found a cats identity tag in his supper!

Kitten tikka masala?
 john arran 30 Aug 2014
In reply to ThunderCat:

served with puppydoms?
 Skol 30 Aug 2014
In reply to ThunderCat:
> Kitten tikka masala?

Think it was 'Tiger prawn ' the cat bindaloo.
Post edited at 20:20
OP mypyrex 30 Aug 2014
Hmmmm. Might try it somewhen although the Mrs didn't fancy it.

Dauphin 30 Aug 2014
In reply to mypyrex:
Mostly shite ala Brick Lane East London. Its British Indian food. Probably much better than your local small town curry house. There is a few good Kebab (sheesh) places with Nan bread to die for.

The 'best' Indian restaurant in the U.K. is Diwala, south Indian vegetarian place near Euston. Cheaper than David Dickinsons fake tan.

D
Post edited at 20:21
 ThunderCat 30 Aug 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

Have a google for "This n' That" in Schude Hill if you want a cheap, no frills curry.

Denzil 30 Aug 2014
In reply to mypyrex:
My middle daughter lived there while at Uni, but didn't like curries. Eventually she succumbed, and quite likes them now....
 Enty 30 Aug 2014
In reply to Skol:

> It's a pets nightmare too. Someone I went to uni with found a cats identity tag in his supper!

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/aug/18/bag-cat-heads-found-manchest...

Look at the date on the article. Used to love the Curry Mile. Won't be going back.

E
In reply to Dauphin:

Nah, its the shimla spice in Keighley. Just had the desi lamb multani, wow. ..

I lived in Manchester for 3 years, none of the curries came close to the shimla, or the aagrah in Shipley. Bradford and its surrounds- curry capital of the UK...

Cheers

Gregor
 Dauphin 30 Aug 2014
In reply to ThunderCat:

There is a couple of places like that in Schude Hill/Northern Quarter. Not bad. Rice N Three in Bolton is worth a mention. Essentially North Indian tandoori /Pakistani food, meat heavy, and nothing compared to the delicate, fragrant and meticulous cuisine of South Indian chefs.

D
 pec 30 Aug 2014
In reply to Skol:

Whilst a student I once came accross the head and skin if a cat with all its insides removed in a back alley behind the curry mile, inevitably we joked about how it had come to be there and where the rest of it had ended up. That was over 20 years ago so it seems its still going on.
 Dauphin 30 Aug 2014
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

I've got to disagree. Bradford curry houses are generally terrible including the much fabled Kashmir. Agraah, I've eaten in Leeds and almost walked out it was that bad.

D
 Skol 30 Aug 2014
In reply to Enty:

That is a pawling
 Skol 30 Aug 2014
In reply to pec:

That's just about the time when the cat from Coronarion Street went missing from the title scenes!
In reply to Dauphin:

> I've got to disagree. Bradford curry houses are generally terrible including the much fabled Kashmir. Agraah, I've eaten in Leeds and almost walked out it was that bad.

> D

the kashmir is rubbish. cheap curries on plastic plates

re the leeds aagrah, maybe it doesnt travel well...

shipley one is the original

shimla, aagrah, mumtaz, akbars all good. i'm from glasgow, and always thought glasgow curries were the best (the ashoka in particular), but have to admit bradford shades it

anyway, its not just me, its official...

http://www.currycapitalofbritain.org.uk/previous-winners/
 coinneach 30 Aug 2014

From Glasgow.
Jags fan
Like curries
Called Gregor.

Were you once a Police cadet . . . .?
 Dauphin 30 Aug 2014

Hungryhouse sponsor it. Voted for by lashed up idiots at 01.30.

D

In reply to coinneach:

not me...

and those four criteria cant narrow it down *that* much...

gregor

ps poor show against the dons this aft- the 'promising' start to the season seems a long time ago already...
 coinneach 30 Aug 2014

Sorry . . .

I'm a jags fan from Glasgow who used to frequent Firhill with a guy called Gregor and then have curries after the game.

HE was also a Police cadet!
 coinneach 30 Aug 2014

Oh . . . . . And not being in relegation trouble ( yet ) IS a promising start to the season.
 sbc_10 30 Aug 2014

> the kashmir is rubbish. cheap curries on plastic plates

Some of the curry houses in Great Horton used to insist that you pay before you saw the meal, let alone eat it!

> shipley one is the original

Yes and a fine establishment too. My mum always wanted to know how they made the Kashmiri kebabs. The owner invited her down one Saturday and gave her an individual masterclass. All the kebabs she made, she was allowed to take home, and they were great as well.

In reply to Dauphin:

that cant be right- no one in Bradford knows how to use a computer...

In reply to sbc_10:

> Some of the curry houses in Great Horton used to insist that you pay before you saw the meal, let alone eat it!

> Yes and a fine establishment too. My mum always wanted to know how they made the Kashmiri kebabs. The owner invited her down one Saturday and gave her an individual masterclass. All the kebabs she made, she was allowed to take home, and they were great as well.

thats pretty special...

i used to live just up the hill from it- even now, although i'm out past keighley, i still make the trip back for the buffet, can't be beat...

cheers
gregor
In reply to coinneach:

havent been to firhill for 5 years now

absolutely *have* to get there this season, and revel in being the second side in glasgow...

here's to the hope of a third year in the top flight!

cheers
gregor
 aln 30 Aug 2014
In reply to Dauphin:

> south Indian vegetarian place near Euston.

Best curry I ever had was a veg curry from a Tibetan place close to Euston. Beautifully fragrant, every piece of veg seemed to be individually flavoured with different spices. Thirty years ago, wonder if it's still there?

Greenbanks 30 Aug 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

Manchester's good (well, the Withington curry area), but I'd offer Leicester as the real place to savour authentic Indian (Bangladeshi etc) cuisine).

http://www.currycapitalofbritain.org.uk/cities/leicester/

The Narborough Road takes a bit of beating when it comes to the quality of curry emporia within such a small area
 Dauphin 30 Aug 2014
In reply to aln:

Diwani is 43 years old. I'll have a gander tomorrow to see if any Tibetan place exists.

D
 domgriff 30 Aug 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

TBH 20 years ago it was really 'The Curry mile'... more recently that has changed and there are probably as many Middle Eastern restaurants as Indian ones... still quite a few decent curry houses on the mile, though ..so give a go, M8 !
In reply to Skol:

Racist!
 aln 30 Aug 2014
In reply to stroppygob:

> Racist!

Eh?
 Hyphin 30 Aug 2014

The Wee Curry Shop in Buccleuch St, maintains our standing
In reply to aln:

I was joking with Skol, hence the winky.
 Neil Williams 31 Aug 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

I spent a year living just up from there in 1998-1999. They're a mixed batch, though you can get a lot of reasonable curry for very little money there, the main business being aimed at students. Spicy Hut was always a favourite, though it's been a while since I went there.

Neil
 Neil Williams 31 Aug 2014
In reply to Dauphin:

Yeah been there, it's excellent, though I'm damned if I can remember exactly where it is!

Neil
 Dauphin 31 Aug 2014
In reply to Neil Williams:

Drummond Street.

D
 Blue Straggler 31 Aug 2014
In reply to Enty:

> Look at the date on the article.

Why do you highlight that?

> Used to love the Curry Mile. Won't be going back.

My interpretation of the article is that the investigators believe it to be a set-up. Speculative on my part I know.
 MonkeyPuzzle 31 Aug 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

The curry mile is generally shite, relying on people coming by the bus load to visit"the curry mile". You want to get down to Gurkha Grill in Withington; tis amazing.
 Enty 31 Aug 2014
In reply to Blue Straggler:

> Why do you highlight that?

Because it was less than 2 weeks ago so a coincidenc that Mypyrex asked the question.

> My interpretation of the article is that the investigators believe it to be a set-up. Speculative on my part I know.

You're right, there's no way it could ever have been linked to local eating establishments so in the name of social cohesion and racial harmony I shall retract my statement. Sorry for even daring to link the two

E
 Mike Stretford 31 Aug 2014
In reply to Enty:

> You're right, there's no way it could ever have been linked to local eating establishments so in the name of social cohesion and racial harmony I shall retract my statement. Sorry for even daring to link the two

As this article suggests, extremely unlikely, for reasons of common sense rather than PC motives.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/11041594/Cat-heads-found-in-bi...

The rusholme cat thing has always had the hallmarks of an urban myth... the cat tag one doing the rounds with every influx of students. The curry houses get cheap wholesale meat through bulk buying. It makes no sense to go to the trouble of catching, killing, skinning and leaving the bodies out for someone to find.... when there's not much meat on a cat and apparently it tastes quite unique.
In reply to Dauphin:

> There is a couple of places like that in Schude Hill/Northern Quarter. Not bad. Rice N Three in Bolton is worth a mention. Essentially North Indian tandoori /Pakistani food, meat heavy, and nothing compared to the delicate, fragrant and meticulous cuisine of South Indian chefs.

I think the standard British-Pakistani menu is now a bit tired compared to other ethnic foods we have (inc South Indian) and the general improvement in British and European cuisine over the years.

mike123 31 Aug 2014
In reply to Mike Stretford:
Last time I had curry on the curry mile was just that. The last time. If someone at some point did sneak a cat tag into a mates curry then IMHO that is incredibly witty. As for the best curry house in Britain ? You re all wrong . Mother India in Glasgow is untouchable. If we re choosing where to go and see a band Newcastle , Manchester , Glasgow are all about the same drive for us, I always choose Glasgow . We then have the same conversation just before we go where the wife has found some new place on the net , authentic Uzbek camel herder kitchen or someat, that she really wants to try. I then sulk all the way there until she gives in .

I can eat 50 eggs 31 Aug 2014
In reply to ThunderCat:

Totally agree with this.

This and That is a real authentic place but not fancy.

Curry Mile is for the tourists and drunken fck wits.
 Skol 31 Aug 2014
In reply to stroppygob:

> Racist!

Don't like ginger cats either!
In reply to mike123: Yeah I've been to Mother India Edinburgh, it's the best I've had. I live in Manc and wouldn't consider curry mile for a number of reasons, but there's loads of restaurants there so I'd assume 1 or 2 must be ok.

Mancs... is Great Khatmandu still good? Thinking of heading over now I'm tram connected.
 Greenbanks 31 Aug 2014
In reply to Skol:
> Don't like ginger cats either! <
Other cats ok though eh? Don't like ginger humans?

Enty 31 Aug 2014

Boo! stop being sensible.

E
In reply to Greenbanks:

> Manchester's good (well, the Withington curry area), but I'd offer Leicester as the real place to savour authentic Indian (Bangladeshi etc) cuisine).

> The Narborough Road takes a bit of beating when it comes to the quality of curry emporia within such a small area

Can anyone recommend a curry house in Leicester please. Hoping to make a trip in a couple of weeks.
 ThunderCat 31 Aug 2014
In reply to I can eat 50 eggs:
> Totally agree with this.

> This and That is a real authentic place but not fancy.

> Curry Mile is for the tourists and drunken fck wits.

I think CAMRA recommends "this n' that" as well. Which gives it the thumbs up in my book
Post edited at 18:18
 John_Hat 31 Aug 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

>
> Has anyone eaten in any of these establishments? How good are they?

Most of them. When a previous girlfriend was at university there we worked our way down one side of curry mile and back up the other.

Decent curries, astoundingly cheap. However not fantastic curries, for that you need to go to Bradford
 galpinos 31 Aug 2014

> Mancs... is Great Khatmandu still good? Thinking of heading over now I'm tram connected.

Yes, the food is still great though it has lost a lot of it's charm since more than doubling in size.
 Skol 31 Aug 2014
In reply to galpinos:

You Mancs are having a laugh. The best curry house is the Kismet, Burslem, Stoke on Trent
 Ramblin dave 31 Aug 2014
In reply to Dauphin:

> The 'best' Indian restaurant in the U.K. is Diwala, south Indian vegetarian place near Euston. Cheaper than David Dickinsons fake tan.

Dunno about the UK, but for my money Diwala isn't even the best in London! Rasa N4, Tayyabs and Mirch Masala in Whitechapel and Jai Krishna and Jai Shri Krishna in Finsbury Park and Turnpike Lane respectively are better, and I suspect there are even better places if you started digging seriously in Stratford, Tooting, Wembley etc...
 Dauphin 31 Aug 2014
In reply to Ramblin dave:

Turnpike lane place not bad. The one on Stroud Green road despite living around the corner for years I've never been in. Whitechapel, Bangladeshi food. Not a fan of the western version. I've eaten great food there and east India, particularly fish and incredible pickles.

D
 dread-i 31 Aug 2014
In reply to mypyrex:
IMHO the best place on the curry mile is the Punjab. South Indian food, and used to be 100% veggie. They do all the standard curry house dishes, but you need to look beyond them. They do fantastic thalis where you get lots of little dishes and the dhosas are awesome. My fave is the paneer tikka starter, big lumps of paneer done in the tandoor.

As a general rule of thumb, any place with lots of brightly coloured sweets in the window is a good bet. At least one person can cook, as can be seen from the sweets. As they serve the local asian population with authentic sweet treats, their curries and samosas are usually good as well.

Notable mentions go to Tib St curry houses, there are several in that area, This 'n' That included, but I prefer the Yadgar for rice and 3.

If you're in London, Drummond St next to Euston is great for veggie south Indian food. If you go at lunch time there are 3 places that do a good buffet for a reasonable price.
irbacrtaj 06 Sep 2014

> Nah, its the shimla spice in Keighley. Just had the desi lamb multani, wow. ..

> I lived in Manchester for 3 years, none of the curries came close to the shimla, or the aagrah in Shipley. Bradford and its surrounds- curry capital of the UK...

> Cheers

> Gregor

We must have the same taste buds. jalfrezi from the Shimla or the buffet at the aagrah cannot be beaten IMHO.
 birdie num num 07 Sep 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

Mrs Num Num and I always say that for the authentic taste of the Punjab, you can't beat a good Vesta. We normally have it with chips and coke.
Clauso 07 Sep 2014
In reply to birdie num num:

I'm currently typing naked.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...