UKC

Hip Tendonitis - anyone had it?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 omerta 01 Sep 2014
Hi folks,

For the past few weeks, I've been waking up with a tightness in my left hip and top thigh. I went climbing on Saturday - lots of high knees - and it's flared up very badly. It's worse in the mornings, doesn't like walking, doesn't like sitting (I am as I type this and there's a real, deep ache going on) and is happiest stretched out whilst I'm lying down.

I'm seeing a physio for shoulder recuperation so I'll obviously take this to her, but if anyone on here recognises / has dealt with these symptoms, it'd be great to hear your thoughts

Cheers

Sarah
 Abi Chard 01 Sep 2014
In reply to omerta:

Hi Sarah

I often get a similar problem, probably something to do with falling off a horse and landing on my butt back in my twenties. However, it flares up badly when I've been doing a lot of climbing, particularly steep and strenuous stuff - I get it in my hip and when it's bad it hurts across my lower back as well. I've recently found if I stretch my lats then the pain and tightness goes. I've also found that piriformis stretches help to keep it at bay as well.

The physio should be able to advise - it might be related to the sholder problem?

Good luck in getting it sorted.
Abi
OP omerta 01 Sep 2014
In reply to Abi Chard:

Hi Abi,

That's a real help, thank you. I've done the mandatory Googling and hip bursitis feels very likely, too. I've just had a ten minute walk and the pain afterwards was enough to make me feel sick ; (

I've got my physio appointment this week but will try out a few stretches, including some piriformis ones, to see what alleviates

Cheers

Sarah
Simos 07 Sep 2014
In reply to omerta:

Hi Sarah

Hope it is getting better. Have you seen a physio? I have a similar (but less severe) hip pain for a couple of years now, goes through better and worse phases and I also suspected hip bursitis but never got it diagnosed properly. If there are any exercises that you have tried that work please do let us know.

S
 Quaidy Quaid 07 Sep 2014
In reply to omerta:

I have been to see a ostyopath last week. and she she say that my hip pain is caused by a weakness in my lower back area which has spread to my hip.
don't know if this applys to u , but was just throwing the idea out there.
 ck85 08 Sep 2014
In reply to omerta:

Another thing to consider is impingement, I had impingement for 3 years before it was diagnosedas it's not that common. If the physio doesn't have any effect it could be this, worth bearing in mind if your symptoms don't improve.
OP omerta 08 Sep 2014
In reply to omerta:

Thanks all - been a few days since I looked at this thread!

I've got a physio appointment on Wednesday so I'll push for some kind of answers / exercises then. I saw my GP on Friday and he waggled my hip around a lot which resulted in no pain whatsoever, so he said that I just had a tadge of groin strain and it would go away soon. It hasn't - it's got worse. Tender areas on my lower abdomen, too. Will try physio exercises and if not - back to (a different) GP.

I'll post anything that helps, definitely

Cheers
 Bloodfire 08 Sep 2014
In reply to omerta:

Yup, looking forward to your reply on this. I was earlier in the year, put out from most activities because of a complete left-side of the body disfunction (only way I can put it) I think it was a exacerbated by a car accident. Everything from plantar fischitis and iliotibial pain through to the hip/back pain you describe and shoulder pain.

It all started getting better when a friend of mine said 'You wanna start stretching those hamstrings out dude'. A tiny bit of relief later and I got on the foam roller for the ITBS and I'm loads better. I started rolling out my lats and armpit too which has started sorting my shoulder problem. I think there is also a badly knotted muscle somewhere high in the shoulder that I've been massaging out and its really helping.

I've had to work on each individual component and things are much much better. I've got to the stage where I might see a sports masseuse for some sessions.

good luck.

OP omerta 10 Sep 2014
In reply to Bloodfire:

Hi all,

Well, I went today and was told that they can't actually treat the problem as I was referred to them for my shoulder and thus the finance doesn't stretch to anything else without a referral, but she did run through a basic assessment with the conclusion coming back as 'that's very odd.' From the assessment, my hip doesn't like being compressed (which it is in climbing moves) but the bone is fine, no obvious trauma took place so for pain to appear without (obvious) provenance is very strange. I've been told to take ibuprofen for 5-7 days and go back to my GP if it's no better after that - which is virtually a given ; (

Shall report back after GP

Cheers for replies so far
Simos 11 Sep 2014
In reply to omerta:

Thanks for the update. Love the GP advice, always pain killers and anti-inflammatories and telling you to come back in a couple of weeks if not better...
 Bloodfire 11 Sep 2014
In reply to omerta:

I tried the Ibuprofen thing, which didn't work but did work in that it confirmed that inflamation wasn't the problem.
OP omerta 11 Sep 2014
In reply to Bloodfire:

Ibuprofen isn't really working for me, though Co-Codamol is <dazed grin>

Appointment already booked, however, as I know it's not going to just clear up on its own. Roll on another referral....
 Rob Grant 11 Sep 2014
In reply to omerta:

I had similar symptoms that turned out to be sciatica resulting from a slipped disc. Hip/thigh pain was preceded by pain in the side of my foot for a few months.

All the best.
 Noelle 12 Sep 2014
In reply to omerta:

Be sure to ask the doctor about other joint problems when you go back. I had Ankylosing Spondylitis for years before they figured out what it was. It came on as agonising hip pain, but then it also started affecting me higher up in the spine/shoulder blade area and even in my ribs near the solar plexus.

Because it affects more men than women they didn't even consider it for ages. I got the whole "bursitis and painkillers" routine too.

If something isn't right, bother the docs until it is! I hope you find an answer.

Noelle.
OP omerta 10 Oct 2014
In reply to omerta:
Hi folks, back to the GP today (a different GP to the one that went, 'hmm, it's not arthritis, just go home and take some painkillers.') She says it's a pulled ligament, that if I was a footballer it'd put me out for a season and that it'll take THREE TO SIX MONTHS to heal. Not a happy bunny, nor a particularly convinced bunny, but I'm under strict instruction to keep the leg in a forward facing position only; cycling and walking are okay, but anything which rotates the hip is a no-no. I'll give it 'til Christmas.

Gah
Post edited at 14:20
Simos 10 Oct 2014
In reply to omerta:

Thanks for the update and hope it heals soon!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...