UKC

Good Yorkshire bouldering for the slightly jaded

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jkarran 01 Sep 2014
Looking for a good suggestion for a change of scene crag tonight.

Not Almscliff, Caley, Brimham, Slipstones but in that part of the world and doable after work from York (so probably not Lord's Seat or Great Wolfrey!). Good bouldering in the mid-low grades (<V5), oh and dog friendly.

jk
 Nige M 01 Sep 2014
In reply to jkarran:

Hetchell
Barker's Crag, Scugdale.

That said, you will need to keep the dog on a short lead: rules about dogs at this latter crag have changed over the years so check current status.
 Bulls Crack 01 Sep 2014
In reply to jkarran:

Wetherby - dogs ceetainly seem to like it
 Nige M 01 Sep 2014
In reply to jkarran:

Also, I thought High Crag (Stump Cross) was a nice venue for a low-intensity evening - many more problems than described in the guide book. Beautiful setting.
OP jkarran 01 Sep 2014
In reply to Nige M:

Cheers guys. Is High Crag in the old Yorkshire Grit guide (the John Dunne in nasty yellow pants version)?

jk
 Nige M 01 Sep 2014
In reply to jkarran:

No, it's in the new one. Page 368.
OP jkarran 01 Sep 2014
In reply to jkarran:

Cheers, Nige, I found the leeds wall pdf anyway which will do.

All: Any more suggestions

jk
 petellis 02 Sep 2014
In reply to jkarran:
> All: Any more suggestions

If Caley is in condition then man up, work hard and get good at it. You will thank yourself this winter, just as you (kind of) still thank the state for letting you go to school

What about some of the limestone that got developed east of the peak? It looked good but what I saw was sport (edit: or i imagined it and it doesn't actually exist...). Probably only around an hour from Wetherby.
Post edited at 09:40
 Offwidth 02 Sep 2014
In reply to jkarran:

I enjoyed (and wished I was more solid) at West Chevin, Bat Buttress, Little Almscliff, Spofforth, Eavestone, Lords Seat, Round Hill and never made it to Brown Beck or Sypeland, or Sampled the Guisecliffe area stuff. The new guide has lots of stuff even some surprises at established venues.
 pebbles 02 Sep 2014
In reply to jkarran:

spofforth pinnacles. underrated!!!!
OP jkarran 02 Sep 2014
In reply to jkarran:

Cheers all. We went to Stump Cross in the end. Bit of a pain with the dog and sheep/rabbits but once he'd calmed down the climbing was pleasant and it was nice to sample a new crag.

Most of those suggested I've tried but a few are new to me so I'll check them out.

Brownbeck is worth the walk if you've ticked a good chunk of Slipstones or appreciate weekend solitude. Sypland is very scrittly, quite highball and wasn't much fun IMO.

Spofforth is fun and very local but the cows and my idiot dog make for a worrying mix.

jk
 pebbles 02 Sep 2014
In reply to jkarran:

tasty field mushrooms to be found thou....
 phleppy 02 Sep 2014
In reply to jkarran:
Next time try Roundhill boulders, you will not be disappointed!
Post edited at 14:14
 Dave Musgrove 02 Sep 2014
In reply to phleppy:

Sharphaw has had a big overhaul recently with lots to go at sub Font 6a. No full topo published yet but all the problems are now on UKC logbook pages and you should be able to find most from the clues on there. Most will appear in Vol 2 of the new guide.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...