UKC

Torch for running

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Robyn Vacher 02 Sep 2014
I want to do some trail running in the dark this autumn. What torch would you recommend - no more than about £50 if possible. Is head torch best? Thank you.
 Banned User 77 02 Sep 2014
In reply to Robyn Vacher:

MyoXP is around that, perfectly functional.
 J Brown 02 Sep 2014

I've got the LED Lenser HR7, really happy with it.
Moley 02 Sep 2014

I have a couple of Myoxp, which are fine, but to be honest, I now prefer my cheap Alpkit Manta headtorch - does the same job for £15, money left over for batteries!
Can't fault it for the price and plenty bright enough for normal night runs on trails.
https://www.alpkit.com/products/manta

tony 02 Sep 2014
In reply to J Brown:

> I've got the LED Lenser HR7, really happy with it.

I've got one of those and would second the endorsement - it's very good.
 steveriley 02 Sep 2014

I used an alpkit for years which is fine for non technical trails. I tried a Cree eBay special last year for around 15 quid. Lasting so far, stupendously bright. Bulb unit a touch heavy after an hour or so.
 The Potato 02 Sep 2014

alpkit gamma gets my vote
 Carolyn 03 Sep 2014
In reply to ow arm:

> alpkit gamma gets my vote

I'd tend to agree - I got them for the kids, and am very impressed (particularly for £15) - great one to start off with. If you later decide you need to upgrade, it's the perfect spare torch to leave in the bottom of a rucsac/in the car/by the back door.
Moley 03 Sep 2014

The Alpkit Gamma is 88 lumens and the Manta packs 120 lumens (it's £17.50 now) and slightly different design - but I've never heard anyone say a word against either at the price. As Carolyn says, a great first headtorch.
 cbonner 03 Sep 2014

Love the Alpkit Gamma too. Can't be beaten esp. for the price.
 spiderz 21 Sep 2014
I got a Petzl Zipka Plus 2 turns out it isn't very good for running. Just looking at the Alpkit ones they look promising, at least they have the ability to be tightened.
 liz j 21 Sep 2014

I ran 20 miles in the dark last night with a cheap Vango LED torch, great for trails where you know where you are going, plenty enough light to see your foot placings. Useless for seeing into the distance though when you miss the stile. Will be watching this thread with interest!
 ERU 21 Sep 2014
A friend has one of these on the weekend and swore by it:
http://www.dx.com/p/cree-xm-l-t6-700lm-3-mode-white-light-headlamp-black-1-...
 batterj2 21 Sep 2014

Standard Petzl Tikka has served me well....
 Dave Todd 21 Sep 2014

I've been through a few headtorches over the years for night-time fell running in the Peak (mostly). Trails completely dark so need a decent beam to make safe progress. Have used;

(a) Petzl Myo XP - good enough beam, great fit, good battery life but beam a little narrow [without diffuser, with diffuser it's too wide and dim].

(b) Alpkit Gamma - not bright enough for my needs, shame really as it's a great bit of kit for the price.

(c) Lenser H7R - awesome! powerful beam, highly adjustable beam width, infinitely adjustable brightness, rechargable. However, I had to make a top strap (it didn't come with one, maybe this has been changed by now?). Also, it's not the most comfortable to wear.

(d) AyUp (MTB lights) worn with headband attachment - too bright! everything washed out hence difficult to run with.

So, Lenser H7R for me (at the mo...)
 Herdwickmatt 21 Sep 2014
In reply to Dave Todd:

I have a MYO XP and really like it. I've also run with a set of Gemini Duo mtb lights and find them too bright. Good for night orienteering but just for jollying over the hills completely unnecessary.
RockShock 22 Sep 2014

I admit I am a bit of a geek, but Zebralight's H600 MkII solved all my needs (albeit at a bit higher price than your budget).

1090 lumens when you need them, solid package and fast battery change (without removing the torch from your head) convinced me.

It has the inconvenience of having to buy a charger and few 18650s, but the light you get from this beast is simply astonishing!

Cheers
RS

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...