UKC

Sin City - A Dame to Kill For. Expect spoilers but not from me

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Blue Straggler 03 Sep 2014
8/10 on the Straggle-o-meter despite inconsistencies and a lack of Clive Owen
Seems to be disappearing quickly from cinemas so see it while you can (i.e. this week!), it is gorgeous to behold on the big screen, sadly I didn't see it in 3D and I hear that it is particularly good in that format.

graeme jackson 03 Sep 2014
In reply to Blue Straggler:

is it a prequel? i seem to recall mickey rourke and bruce willis getting killed in the first one but they're being shown on the billboards for this one.
 Oujmik 03 Sep 2014
In reply to graeme jackson:

It's a bunch of loosely interwoven stories - some before and some after elements of the previous file (which in itself had a bunch of stories which may or may not have been contemporaneous). Haven't seen it yet though.
 MonkeyPuzzle 03 Sep 2014

Frank Miller changed his chronology status to "It's complicated": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sin_City#Chronology

I thought it was great, even though lacking the impact that the visual style had when I saw the first film. It's a bloody, sexy, and cool romp.

As others said - a few stories, some set before some stories in the first film, some set after. And as someone pointed out, it messes up some of it apparently but it didn't bother me as I just was there for sharp cinematography and good cast having fun with noir tropes. And some cracking norks
 Dauphin 03 Sep 2014

Read a review that kind of panned it. I'll give it a go on your recommendation. Loved the first one.

D
 Flinticus 03 Sep 2014

Been waiting for this. The first was excellent.
In reply to Dauphin:

It has received very mixed reviews. As far as I am concerned, it does what it says on the tin. It's simply another Sin City adaptation (with, I gather, additional new material just for the film). I'm not sure what it is that people were expecting. Mostly the same cast and crew are there so the tone is fine. The bad reviews I read were only "User reviews" on imdb.com rather than professional ones. Ditto the good reviews. The bad reviews were universally petty and moronic. Slating a film because Bruce Willis doesn't have much screen time or because they don't find Eva Green attractive. The good reviews all seemed more articulate, so I went with that. I enjoy seeing films that have mixed reviews and I often fall on the positive side, though, so class that as my disclaimer

I guess that what has happened in comic book adaptation since Sin City (2005) is Nolan's Batman and the Marvel Cinematic Universe, so a dark noir tale with arguably no "good guys", has lost its appeal
 anonymouse 04 Sep 2014

Is it like the first one in being beautiful to look at but heavy handed and leaden with clunky dialogue?
In reply to anonymouse:

> Is it like the first one in being beautiful to look at but heavy handed and leaden with clunky dialogue?

Yes. All deliberate, it is comic-book pulp noir pastiche after all!
 anonymouse 05 Sep 2014

Guh.
In reply to anonymouse:

No, it's a BIT more articulate than that. Apart from Marv's dialogue
In reply to Dauphin:

> Read a review that kind of panned it. I'll give it a go on your recommendation. Loved the first one.

> D

Did you manage to see it?
 Dauphin 09 Sep 2014
Not yet. Later this week. Maybe tomorrow.

You not from Stokesley BTW?

D
Post edited at 22:37
In reply to Dauphin:
Close! What makes you ask?
I am from that place between Redcar and Saltburn

1 week on, I still say this film was damn good stuff.
Post edited at 22:40
 Dauphin 09 Sep 2014

Just some of your posts are very clued up about north Yorkshire & cleveland, and you are about my vintage. Spent some time there when I was a youth.

D
 Dauphin 09 Sep 2014

Funny story - when I saw the first one I walked out the wrong exit, ended up on a steel walkway in a back alley, on my own. Totally headf*cked from the film, didn't have a clue where I was for 2 or 3 minutes, no idea what city, nothing. I think the film did its job

D
In reply to Dauphin:

> Just some of your posts are very clued up about north Yorkshire & cleveland, and you are about my vintage. Spent some time there when I was a youth.

> D

You are following some obscure posts then! I pretty much left that region 21 years ago! But it is where I first climbed...
Cheers
 Simon 10 Sep 2014
I saw it in 3D tonight, which worked amazingly as the aperture of the backgrounds in it work very well with the close ups.

The stories are a bit of a mish-mash, (the script was in development hell for some years!) starting with a short tale of Marv "Just Another Saturday Night" that was actually in the 6th and final book.

The Johnny Gambler story I couldn't remember - with good reason as it was written for the film. It kept the attention well enough and it was great to see Christopher Lloyd as a smacked up back street butcher comedy character.

The main book, the feature title, was handled excellently, from it's inception with Ray Liotta to the finale with Dwight & Ava very well paced.

Again a little confused with the final story arc finale as it must have been set way after That Yellow Bastard and again couldn't recall it in any of the books, but still it was a fitting conclusion to a wonderful Sin City film, and my 1st in 3D.

Si
Post edited at 04:40
In reply to Simon:

I thought the Johnny Gambler story was very well written.
I wish I could have seen it in 3D.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...