UKC

Session times

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Matt Hev 03 Sep 2014
I have recently completed my CWA. My school has asked to to run a session at our local wall, they have given me an hour and a half for the session (to include travelling time). The group is 8 or less (15-16 year old boys) but would change over the weeks.

I have concerns that other than running numerous taster sessions I would struggle to get any progression and that the group would not get anything out of it.

What is the general consensus?
 Max Clarke 04 Sep 2014
In reply to Matt Hev:

How long's the travelling time? In my local centre we have managed some sessions as short as an hour and still seen a progression over a few weeks. That's not ideal though. If the travel time isn't too bad and you plan your sessions well then it shouldn't be a problem.

Max.
Matt Hev 04 Sep 2014
In reply to Max Clarke:
Hi Max

Travelling time would be 15 mins each way, but I have factored that in, the session is an hour long.

They are complete novices and I have been asked to take 8 at a time.

Matt
 Lukem6 04 Sep 2014
In reply to Matt Hev:

you have to decide what they want out of it... they just want to climb then you'll see improvements as they pick up basic technique etc. if they want to learn to belay etc, then you will have to account for that. depends on too many factors. I suggest you have a few approaches
1. Come up with a few programmes and trial them see what works.
2. play by ear and be adaptable.

Over time you will gain experience and be able to use both approaches at the same time.

You will find some of your pupils want nothing more than to climb climb climb, some will want to learn more and some will take a little effort to inspire..

I would start by simply taking a small focus group and running a few dummy sessions to get a feel for it.
Matt Hev 04 Sep 2014
In reply to Lukem6:

Cheers for the advice, I will try it sessions and see how it goes.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...