UKC

climbing at Gaitkins crag, Lakes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 zigzag 04 Sep 2014

Anyone been climbing at Gaitkins crags in the Lakes, near Three shire stones, it's only short stuff but looks like(photo's)it could be a pleasant evenings outing. I'd be grateful for any info.
Post edited at 12:31
In reply to zigzag:

I've climbed on virtually all those litle crags up there and they are all good, though it's a bit more of a walk than you might think.

Martin Bagness did some nice photo-topos a few years back which are the best source of info until the new FRCC Duddon & Eskdale guide comes along. See: http://www.needlesports.com/Catalogue/Books-Maps-DVDs/British-Guidebooks/La...
 Bob 04 Sep 2014
In reply to Stephen Reid - Needle Sports:

I don't have the guidebook to hand so don't know which way it gives as the approach but the Duddon Valley fell race passes under Gaitkins on its way to Wrynose and is steady going (there's a broad terrace passing under the crags) so I'd walk in from that way, i.e. the race route in reverse. Start as if you are walking up to Black Crag and then after about 400 metres head west to pass to the north of Rough Crags and contour round to the crag. About 1.6Km with 200 metres of ascent.
 Greenbanks 04 Sep 2014

They're neat little guides...nice area up there...quiet too. Great venue for a summer weekend.
 Purple 04 Sep 2014

And also some good (I hope!) info via the 'Find Crags' section on this site, which draws upon the old guide & printable info on the FRCC website. As moderator, I've just updated all the info and corrected a few errors.

Enjoy.
 Ann S 05 Sep 2014
In reply to zigzag:

They are small craglets but comprise incredibly rough rock which ripped my old Troll pants to bits. Very enjoyable and worth a visit if you want an easy going day. If you already know Black Crag, the rock is even better quality IMO.

OP zigzag 05 Sep 2014
In reply to zigzag:
Thanks for the info guys, I'll go take a look next time I'm up near there, ZigZag
Post edited at 16:29

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...