UKC

MS Word help!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Blue Straggler 04 Sep 2014
I am editing a document that someone else authored in Word 2003. I have resaved as Word 2010 (.docx) but in any case this issue occurs in both version and indeed seems to exist as part of Word.

Simple question really - when I've set something to Cross-Reference (so that mouse-over gives a "Ctrl+Click to follow link" pop-up, is there anyway to make it NOT be a cross-reference?

The previous author seems to have highlighted an entire sub-chapter including tables and (sub?)-sub-headings, and made it a circular cross-reference. I could just about tolerate this but it means I can't seem to put it into the Chapter contents! Doing my nut in. I could cut and paste it into a new document as plain text then re-paste into the original and reformat all the headings etc. but this will take ages. All I want is "switch off the cross-referencing". Just checked independently on a standard cross-reference and I couldn't see how to remove it from that either.

Cheers
 climber david 04 Sep 2014
In reply to Blue Straggler:

I could be wrong but it sounds like youve linked another file. Select the text which is cross referencing and press ctrl k then click remove hyperlink. Other wise select it then go to insert and select hyperlink then click remove hyper link

David
 ebygomm 04 Sep 2014
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Have you tried ctrl shift f9 with cross reference highlighted?
In reply to ebygomm:

Great, I think that has done it! Better than Google, this.

David - thanks but these were internal cross-references, not hyperlinks and not involving another doc.
In reply to ebygomm:

Confirmed. I did try various search terms like "disable cross reference" but to no avail. Thanks again
In reply to climber david:

Ah re-reading what you've written - that also makes sense now, sorry I misinterpreted before. Ta.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...