UKC

I'm Being Told...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 04 Sep 2014
That I don't have permission to open a file and I need the permission of the owner/administrator. How do I tell my pc that I am the bloody owner/administrator?
 ThunderCat 04 Sep 2014
In reply to mypyrex:
Open up the application as an administrator...

Eg if it's notepad file you're opening, click on START, and then rather than choosing "Notepad" from the start menu by left clicking it, right click it instead and select "Run as Administrator" instead.

(this works on Vista, at least)

Then when the application is open, browse for your file

(note, there may be an easier way of doing it...someone more clever will be along shortly...)
Post edited at 19:10
m0unt41n 04 Sep 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

He has got Windows 8 poor bugger.
Have a look at:
http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-8/log-on-as-administrator-in-windows-8/

When will Microsoft learn that every other version of Windows is cr@p and that maybe they should release less often and do it properly.
 Timmd 05 Sep 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

Does anybody know how to stop windows getting confused like this in the first place?
Removed User 05 Sep 2014
In reply to Timmd:

Don't install windows 8.
m0unt41n 05 Sep 2014
In reply to Removed User:

If you need to get a pc you don't have the option other than getting one with Windows 8 pro from an OEM and being able to downgrade to 7. Alternative is a barebones one and put 7 on but I thought that is being withdrawn from sale next month.
 ByEek 05 Sep 2014
In reply to m0unt41n:

> When will Microsoft learn that every other version of Windows is cr@p and that maybe they should release less often and do it properly.

Crap compared to what?
Removed User 05 Sep 2014
In reply to m0unt41n:

Literally the first website I checked:

http://www.ebuyer.com/634337-zoostorm-desktop-pc-7260-2004
 Jack B 05 Sep 2014
In reply to ByEek:

Compared to the other windows versions (a low bar, I know). If we ignore the NT branch until it was merged with/superseded the 9x branch in XP:

95: Good
98: Crap
98SE: Good
ME: Crap
XP: Good
Vista: Crap
7: Good
8: Crap
9: here's hoping...
 ByEek 05 Sep 2014
In reply to Jack B:

I have had PCs with both Windows 98 and Windows Vista on them. No idea what the fuss was about. Windows 95 was a nightmare and full of bugs! And Windows 8 is just Windows 7 with a slightly different start menu. Again, no idea what the fuss is about.
 Jack B 05 Sep 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

The "right" solution depends on what the file is you are trying to open. If it is an important system file (and lives in c:/windows) then you should open it as an administrator, using the tricks mentioned above. The one Thundercat mentions is probably the best, if that works in windows 8.

If it lives in my documents, then you should change the owner to yourself. I can't give instructions for win8, but in win7 you would: find the file in explorer, right click -> properties -> security tab -> advanced button -> owner tab -> Edit button -> click yes on UAC prompt if it appears -> choose your user from the list -> click OK on all the dialog boxes.
 Jack B 05 Sep 2014
In reply to ByEek:

Yeah, well, the flaws in the 'crap' ones do tend to get exaggerated. The fact that they made it past MS's quality control and out the door means they must have worked OK for a fair number of users. Market share and uptake does tend to follow the pattern of good-bad-good though. To elaborate a bit more on my experiences:

95: Yes it was buggy, but it was the first simple to use windowing system for home users.

98: Only worked with this on one machine. BSOD every time a USB device was plugged in. BSOD quite a lot of it's own accord.

98SE: fixed the above problems, with little other changes. First consumer OS with actual functioning USB support. I may be cheating a bit by separating this out from 98, but hey, Microsoft wanted money for the upgrade.

ME: Only saw this on one machine. Unmitigated disaster and I don't think many would disagree with me on that one.

XP: some teething trouble, but really very good after SP1. NT kernel, no 16 bit gubbins lying around under the hood. Journaling file system so it didn't get into a mess if the power went out. Some actually functional security stuff, even if most people didn't use it. It's quality is demonstrated by the fact it still has >20% market share 13 years after it was released.

Vista: There were a lot of good changes in vista, and some of the panning it got was undeserved. A proper security system, including UAC. Proper, functional, multi-user stuff. Superfetch is great. Let down by published minimum spec that was less than the realistic minimum spec. The SP1-boot-loop bug didn't help it's reputation much either. There are (were?) a lot of really stupid bugs in vista too, though admittedly many users would never see them. You could create long file paths in explorer, but not view or delete them. If you created a NTFS junction, then deleted it, it deleted both the junction and the original files!

7: There are very few changes under the hood between vista and 7. In many ways, 7 was all the changes in Vista, but done right. Shell improvements, bug fixes, more sensible out of the box configurations all made a difference. As did 3 years of hardware improvements but little or no increase in hardware requirements. This one will be around for a while.

8: Not used it. Just jumping on the bandwagon with the haters.

Anyway, enough thread hijacking.
m0unt41n 05 Sep 2014
In reply to Removed User:

As I said unless you get Win 8 pro from an OEM and then have the option to downgrade to 7 pro. Only works for pro and from an OEM
m0unt41n 05 Sep 2014
In reply to ByEek:

As previously said compared with previous versions. Technically they are OK, but they suffer from MS arrogance in imposing an interface which a lot of users don't want. 8 = designed for tablets and touch but should have also provided a non touch mouse based design. Vista = imposed security restrictions far beyond what people wanted - why 7 was rushed out. ME = too many issues.
cb294 05 Sep 2014
In reply to Jack B:

XKCD on Vista:

http://xkcd.com/528/

CB
m0unt41n 05 Sep 2014
In reply to ByEek:

Can't be that many manufacturers who issue products where their distributors advertise that actually you have the option of downgrading to the previous version or where their customers cannot be persuade to move onto the newer product for years. Apple might have an arrogant attitude to what you can and cant do but at least they make stuff that people want.
m0unt41n 05 Sep 2014
In reply to cb294:

Or this:

youtube.com/watch?v=yvh5k1RWER4&

which was actually made by Microsoft for internal use to try and address the design problems the video highlighted.
 joan cooper 06 Sep 2014
In reply to mypyrex: I have just bought a new laptop. My old one had XP and was full of junk and stopped working properly. My new one has 8.1 and I am enjoying a new experience of re learning how to use a puter, Many swear words later some laughs but a nice clear screen and graphics. Im still learning but I don't think its too bad Im an old 76 technophile. So stick at it mypyrex

joan cooper 06 Sep 2014
In reply to mypyrex: PS I bought a book Windows 8 for dummies and one called windows 8.1 for seniors Got to understand them first but they help

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...