UKC

Abbing into Mousetrap Zawn

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 john morrissey 07 Sep 2014
When I did mousetrap we walked in from the steps and scambled down to the base with a low tide. But, can anyone confirm the length of rope needed to ab in from the RH side of the Zawn. guide says you need 100m rope but I have also been told this is not needed and you can ab in of 50m ropes.

Confused, dont want to shell out for a 100m rope if I dont need to. tides are not good times in September.
 Andrew Wilson 07 Sep 2014
In reply to john morrissey:

When we did mousetrap there was another party's rope in place. It was a 50 or 60 with another rope tied on. I remember thinking that when I passed the knot, which was at the top of quite an awkward step, that I was glad I was abseiling it.

What I would say is that the abseil is on ground which makes it easy for a knot to be passed so I would recommend this approach rather than an uncertain down climb.

It is well worth it anyway.

Andy
 nawface 07 Sep 2014

as above. You don't want to downclimb that.
 Rick Graham 07 Sep 2014

Accessed Mousetrap this way in 1971 and 1999, so memory may be a bit suspect. I think both times we did a 150 foot or 50m abseil to easier ground. Then abseiled (on climbing ropes then pulled ) or scrambled the last bit down. This last bit being easily climbable up if needed.

Alternatively tie two ropes together, easy ground to change over on.
 Andrew Wilson 07 Sep 2014
In reply to Rick Graham:

Yes, the ground is such that you could abseil 50m and then abseil from a krab on the end of your ab rope with your climbing ropes.

Andy
In reply to Andrew Wilson:

cool. Thanks all. I have a 70 sport rope and a 50m sport rope. they will do.
 Martin Haworth 07 Sep 2014

I've done the ab twice recently and it is exactly 60m then an easy scramble. So if you put slings around the big block your 70m rope will get you down.
In reply to Martin Haworth:

Cheers Martin.
 jim jones 11 Sep 2014

As above 60M is fine.
 Fruit 13 Sep 2014

In the 80s we arrived at the top of Mousetrap as a rescue practice was coming to an end, in exchange for carrying some gear we got to ab the full height of the route on the coastguard's rope. It turned out it was a bit short so they lowered my mate the last 20' using the winch on the front of the vehicle. Quite a start to a fab route.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...