UKC

Guide book covers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mrgleb 15 Sep 2014

I have just got a copy of the FRCC Langdale 2013 guide and hoped it would fit into the DMM guide book cover I use for CC books, but it's just a bit too big.

Why can't all these guide book publishers use a standard size so climbers don't have to have different covers to rack when multi-pitching ? A minor grip I guess but hey !

The book looks great anyway.
Post edited at 17:16
 GrahamD 15 Sep 2014
In reply to mrgleb:

Days of plastic covered bombproof guides that fit in pockets are dead, I'm afraid. Victims of the clamor for pretty picture guides and cost saving.
 ByEek 15 Sep 2014
In reply to GrahamD:

Indeed - but they could at least select a size similar to other books on the market.
 Mark Collins 15 Sep 2014
In reply to mrgleb:

Ah, you'll need the patented FRCC guidebook holder for that.
 pec 15 Sep 2014
In reply to mrgleb:

Its all a conspiracy to keep guidebook pouch manufacturers in business.
In reply to mrgleb:

Unfortunately people have this annoying habit of keeping on doing new routes plus all those lovely crag photo diagrams take up a lot of space!
 Rog Wilko 16 Sep 2014
In reply to mrgleb:

I sympathise - I have an ancient Troll guidebook pouch which has seen a number of pretenders come and go. Unlike the modern ones which have a central cable that is supposed to hold the book in place it doesn't wreck what it is supposed to be protecting. BUT the new Langdale guide just and so squeezes in with the use of two hands - not good mid-pitch.
Agree about the guide - it's superb! Everyone going to the Lakes should buy it.
 James Rushforth Global Crag Moderator 16 Sep 2014
In reply to mrgleb:

I've never understood why anyone would want to climb with a guidebook of any size. That's what a photocopier is for!
 Dave Garnett 16 Sep 2014
In reply to James Rushforth:

You climb with a photocopier?
 James Rushforth Global Crag Moderator 16 Sep 2014
In reply to Dave Garnett:

Makes for good pro in large cracks...
 mrchewy 16 Sep 2014
In reply to James Rushforth:

Don't get the extension lead confused with the rope.
OP mrgleb 16 Sep 2014
In reply to Rog Wilko:

That's a good point about them trashing the very books they are supposed to protect ! Don't the manufacturers test their products by actually placing a book inside them ?

OP mrgleb 16 Sep 2014
In reply to mrgleb:

Does anyone else climb with items of office equipment as protection ? I am new to this game and Libby Peter missed this aspect of trad in Get Out On Rock.
 Bulls Crack 16 Sep 2014
In reply to mrgleb:

Are the Rockfax guides guide-book covers?
In reply to GrahamD:

Weird, isn't it, that modern guidebooks are almost too nice to take in your climbing sack? The best I ever had were those CC guides to N Wales in th 19060s, which were very small and slim and fitted v easily into your trouser or back pocket.
 johnt 16 Sep 2014
In reply to mrgleb:

Check out the Podsacs website - their large guidebook cover (found under climbing equipment)fits the new Langdale (and Scafell / Wasdale) guide perfectly - and it's only £3.99 plus postage.... mind you, their website is only showing 1 in stock...
OP mrgleb 16 Sep 2014
In reply to johnt:
£3.99 is a good price , I think my local climbing shop in Shrewsbury may have one, or perhaps the climbers shop in Ambleside , I'm off to langdale on Friday...can't wait !
Post edited at 19:51
 Mountain Llama 16 Sep 2014
In reply to mrgleb:
Understand ur issue but its a bit like asking car manufactures to standardise on alternator type and size.

Assume its the same size as other frcc guide?

Davey
Post edited at 19:58
 pec 16 Sep 2014
In reply to mrgleb:

> Does anyone else climb with items of office equipment as protection ? I am new to this game and Libby Peter missed this aspect of trad in Get Out On Rock. >

Staples are widely used in aid climbing I believe

Mark Eddy 16 Sep 2014
In reply to mrgleb:

I use a DMM guidebook cover and all the new Lakes guides fit in perfect, as do the Rockfax guides.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...