UKC

Group alert on Gower - 4th October at Fall Bay

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 partz 18 Sep 2014
Hi all

Just a note to avoid disappointment. Swansea Uni will be having their first outdoor trip to Fall bay on Saturday the 4th October. Heres what to expect:

3 Top ropes on King wall
3 Top ropes on Devils Truck area
Abseil through giants cave

Lewes castle (East and West), and Giants cave itself will be available to climb, however please be considerate with loose rocks if climbing on Lewes Castle West. We will have belays built atop King Wall.

A few years ago we had an experianced member begin a route on Lewes Castle West only to dislodge a large rock (it happens) which rolled down and missed my set of cams narrowly!
In reply to partz:

There's a hint of arrogance to your announcement: it's like you've booked parts of the crag, and to hell with anyone else who had plans on visiting.
 Tomar 19 Sep 2014
In reply to partz:

Well, what a coincidence, I organised a 24hour rave party at the very same crag for my birthday (4th), should be a good one, you don't mind high decibel 180 bpm hard tek in your face do you all day? Mass gurning alert!!
 CurlyStevo 19 Sep 2014
In reply to partz:
You can't book parts of the crag, if people are already on the routes and in a queue they will not be available for you to use. Also if at any time people are not on any of the top ropes it's perfectly acceptable for people to pull them up and start leading routes. That's just the way it goes I'm afraid!
Post edited at 09:46
 Run_Ross_Run 19 Sep 2014
In reply to partz:
https://www.thebmc.co.uk/Freshers-meet-info-page
Try having a read of this.
Might be useful for you.
I can eat 50 eggs 19 Sep 2014
In reply to partz:

As you can see from some of the replies here Partz...there are some real prickly tossbags on UKC!! (But you knew that already!)

I say fair play to you - the rock is for everyone and I'm sure your group will climb and behave considerately. Have a great day out.

Offwidth 19 Sep 2014
In reply to partz:
Follow the advice of Run_Ross_Run (which you may be already), as although you cant book a crag, telling us you will be there is good practice as it allows other to adjust plans: I wish more student clubs would do this rather than being scared off by internet aggression. Arseholes aside if you follow BMC advice there should be no unreasonable impact. Have a great day.
Post edited at 10:30
In reply to I can eat 50 eggs:

Well, a degree of tact and diplomacy goes a long way, especially when dealing with prickly tossbags.
 bpmclimb 19 Sep 2014
In reply to partz:

> Just a note to avoid disappointment. Swansea Uni will be having their first outdoor trip to Fall bay on Saturday the 4th October.

Thanks for the warning, which gives people the chance to go elsewhere if they don't fancy a busy crag.

However, it's a popular area and especially if the weather is good there's a fair likelihood of other climbers visiting, and they may wish to climb the routes you have in situ ropes on. If so you should be prepared to accommodate them by temporarily pulling up your ropes.

Regarding the somewhat arrogant tone of your post: if you come across to other climbers as thinking you have some entitlement to "book" routes by setting up top ropes for the day, they may be that bit more likely to want to do those routes. Just a note to avoid disappointment.

Skol 19 Sep 2014
In reply to bpmclimb:

I was going to call you a tosser, then I read the op, and realised I would be calling the wrong person
 andrewmc 19 Sep 2014
In reply to partz:

> Lewes castle (East and West), and Giants cave itself will be available to climb

As someone who was helping out the other day on a freshers' taster session, it is good that you are providing warning that the area would be busy, but it is a bad idea to say that certain areas 'will be available to climb' in quite the way you have because it gives the impression that the areas you are using would not be available to climb - which should not be the case. Perhaps you were just saying that you would not be in these areas, but that is not how it sounds.

At a very minimum anyone who wants to climb any route should be able to join the queue, as it were, but in practice groups can be much better managed than that. If you have 6 top ropes up and a single pair or two of climbers want to lead some routes, it is not a massive pain to just pull up the ropes on those routes and move people to other routes for a few minutes. If there are many more people it is more complicated but in that case it is probably not a good venue/time to top-rope.
In reply to partz:

Feck off, I'll climb where I want to climb. So can you. See you on the 4th.
 VPJB 19 Sep 2014
In reply to partz:

Well done on announcing you'd be in the area!

When I was at Swansea Uni we also went to fall bay and put top ropes all over the place, the area is generally quiet so I'm sure you'll have a good meet!

Does the uni still go to North Wales?
 FactorXXX 20 Sep 2014
In reply to partz:

Top tip, don't leave UKC open so that your mates can post messages to make you look like a bit of a cock...
OP partz 21 Sep 2014
In reply to partz:

Ok well I guess thanks for the replies. But I think I'll clear a few things up.

First off, I really had no intention of this appearing to be arrogant. If it comes across like this to you, then seriously I apologise this was NOT my intention.

I have read the BMC thread, and done this first day trip 4 times previously. Each time I was in charge of the club I posted this same thread to again let people know of our plans. Again it wasn't 'booking' a crag it was letting others know of our plans as taking large groups somewhere can ruin other normal climbers activities.

If the top ropes we placed are in the way do let us know and we will happily move them.

Again sorry for any misunderstanding this has caused.
 bpmclimb 22 Sep 2014
In reply to partz:

> Again sorry for any misunderstanding this has caused.

Thanks for that. Have a good day out
 mattrm 22 Sep 2014
In reply to bpmclimb:

Honestly, you can have Devils Truck Stop. It's pretty orrible. Also King Wall is pretty big, so I can't see that being a problem either. Have any of the complainers actually climbed at the areas mentioned?

Ok I know Ross and andrewmcleod have. bpmclimb is local as well iirc? The rest of you?
 andrewmc 23 Sep 2014
In reply to mattrm:

> the complainers

All 'complaints' withdrawn here, have fun all

(beware the vagaries of the written word!)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...