UKC

The result and my £10

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Cuthbert 19 Sep 2014
Well done to all those who were involved in the campaigns.

I lost my £10 (or was it £20?) and I now need to know where to send it (MG) so if you could reply below that would be appreciated.

Cheers!
 MG 19 Sep 2014
In reply to Saor Alba:

Fair play.

I believe £10 to whatever MRT you see fit. On the basis that MRT funding shouldn't really be determined by referendums, I will also donate. (Good job you didn't accept my offer of a larger bet!).

I hope we are on the same side for the possible EU referendum.
OP Cuthbert 19 Sep 2014
In reply to MG:

Thanks and we will be! I'll send off £20 to Torridon team. I only chose them as I love the area and like to see smaller teams get some support.

Best wishes to you.
 BnB 19 Sep 2014
In reply to Saor Alba:

Congratulations on a good campaign by the Yes side and for standing by your beliefs. I think in the end you were beaten by the silent majority not the vocal minority of non-believers, but also by the lack of substance in your economic plan. Just as the union campaign vastly underestimated the power of hope as an electoral tool, which could have swept you to victory, so Salmond and Sturgeon fatally lost credibility by approaching the campaign without answers to crucial questions. The people of Scotland may not have enjoyed the harsh warnings about the currency, oil reserves and EU membership, but the warnings were at least credible, the nationalist response was to bury heads in the sand.

I think you will get another chance by which time the campaign will be ready to stand by the Euro, perhaps as soon as England potentially votes to take the whole UK out of Europe. If you have some credible economic strategies you might just win. In the meantime, you have done democracy a service with a magnificent turnout and here's hoping you get the pledged extra powers in proportion to your huge contribution the UK.
OP Cuthbert 19 Sep 2014
In reply to BnB:

Thanks for your kind words.
 Banned User 77 22 Sep 2014
In reply to BnB:

>

> I think you will get another chance by which time the campaign will be ready to stand by the Euro, perhaps as soon as England potentially votes to take the whole UK out of Europe. If you have some credible economic strategies you might just win. In the meantime, you have done democracy a service with a magnificent turnout and here's hoping you get the pledged extra powers in proportion to your huge contribution the UK.

I think they will easily win.. a credible path to the euro.. or even if the UK join the euro then independence is really a formality, also semantic, as we all lose so much sovereignty to europe.. which I think is still the right step.. I'm all for a federal europe, I think dividing the UK makes more sense if the UK becomes fully integrated in europe..

I thought a federal UK may work but but looking at the english referendums the english don't want to divide england so a federal UK is doomed.. so make it more federal states, like the US model, by having numerous EU states.

It's been great, Tim C said this with his views on youth being enfranchised.. which ironically was a reason why the Yes Lost.. Glasgow came some way, but despite it being a strong hold for yes, for some reason they didn't feel enfranchised enough… I do think the yes are fighting the wrong wars.. they made huge strides, not far to go, but forcing another referendum asap just because and focusing on issues that can't be controlled like a regionalised england won't help… Issues like why so few glaswegians voted can be tackled..

rogerwebb 22 Sep 2014
In reply to Saor Alba:

You certainly put every effort into a matter you believed in and should be proud of that.

The whole thing was certainly an experience.

Wednesday night I thought you had won.

( PS I hope you picked up that I wasn't putting words in your mouth, but quoting, what I thought were well known, protest songs)
OP Cuthbert 22 Sep 2014
In reply to rogerwebb:
Inverness voted yes which I was pleased with. Most places did in Highland with the retired and olds swinging it. Also, the postal votes were 60/40 for No. The more working class areas strongly yes such as Merkinch which was at 73%. I know this from data sampling at the count. Nairn, Thurson and Grantown were all strongly No where Fort William, Oban, Aviemore and Inverness all Yes.

Onwards to the next occassion.

PS I gave my £20 to Torridon MRT.
Post edited at 12:04
 coolhand 22 Sep 2014
In reply to Saor Alba:

Out of interest, are those results by town available anywhere?
Jim C 22 Sep 2014
In reply to Saor Alba:

How will all new voting energy effect the various elections, National, local SP, and European.

Who will be the beneficiary of the electorates' new found desire to register and actually vote? (if it does not fall off a cliff that is)

The Labour party apparently 'lost' voters , the SNP claim 5,000 new members, but will that mean anything in the various elections, these might have been SNP voters that were not party members (or could be new voters to the SNP, who knows)

rogerwebb 22 Sep 2014
In reply to Saor Alba:

Interesting indeed as apparently the sampling for no had Merkinch rather more evenly divided......

Certainly I was very surprised on Thursday when I was telephoning how strong the no vote was there.

I don't think it is possible to generalise on the composition of the vote. I suspect that if you asked today or even on the day the number of claimed Yes voters would be far greater than the yes vote.

OP Cuthbert 22 Sep 2014
In reply to coolhand:

Don't think so.
 Cardi 22 Sep 2014
In reply to IainRUK:

The way it's going, I think we are miles more likely to leave the EU compared with joining the Euro, or god forbid, The United States of Europe in all but name.

The English will vote 'No' in their droves to the last two so can't see it happening.
 wynaptomos 22 Sep 2014
In reply to Saor Alba:

Not sure if you saw this in the Guardian yesterday about Inverness:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/sep/21/inverness-i-am-devastated-n...
 elsewhere 22 Sep 2014
In reply to Jim C:
They're now reporting 17,000 new SNP members in the last few days.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...