UKC

Very easy stuff for kids at Harrison's

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 nick simons 20 Sep 2014
Am taking some kids to Harrison's tomorrow with some other climbing dads. One kid is a very promising 12 yr-old so no problems there. Also three six yr-olds who've climbed indoors. Am racking my brains for some super-easy stuff for them to go at. Can only think of that little slab with cut steps downhill of the isolated buttress. Sure I once saw some suggested kids' stuff in somebody's bouldering guide but haven't been able to get good of a copy. Suggestions? Thank you.
Iain(2010) 20 Sep 2014
In reply to nick simons:

Have you considered going to Bowles instead as there is a better range of routes for the age range (6 to 12 years old)?

You may however be competing for the obvious gully route at Bowles with groups of kids attending the outdoor center there. The gully is about 20 to 30 meters along the crag from the carpark end, so should be off to your right as you walk up the hill.

Also at Bowles there is an easy slab at the far end of the crag, which would be a decent challenge for a 12 year old. You may also find some of the easier grade routes ok for the 12 year old too.

The crag, as you may already know, is a short walk in and has the added benefit for kids of decent toilets in front of the crag.

I used to take my kids onto the southern sandstone and would favour Bowles if they wanted to do roped climbs. They would have a go at the obvious slabs at Harrisons usually unroped because they really were too easy.

If I wanted to avoid any congestion at Bowles an earlier start was always preferred.

Good luck.
 indigo 20 Sep 2014
In reply to nick simons:

There's not that much that is mega easy for kids:

Smooth and Slippery Chimney - maybe a bit hard

Tame Variant & Diedre next to Deadwood - I think that's the one you mean

Snakes Crawl and Little Cave (slightly esoteric)

Pig tail slabs

Way down and Giants Staircase next to Sashcord Crack - this might be a good area, I've seen parents and kids here before

Dark Chimney near Long Layback ?

Can't think of any more.

Is Karen going too ?

OP nick simons 20 Sep 2014
In reply to indigo:

Hello mate! Yes, Karen is coming. Be lovely if you and Grá were around. Rumours of an early pub supper. If it rains overnight we might climb indoors. But it's probably on. You don't happen to have that sandstone bouldering guide? By the way - Dark Chimney is graded easy (what 2a?) but is slimy and fiendish and once reduced a grown-up novice I'd put on it to tears!
 indigo 20 Sep 2014
In reply to nick simons:

Coincidentally we did intend to go there tomorrow but I've hurt my finger in a freak accident and so may just head to the ww for a light 9 fingered session. we must catch up tho. M

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...