UKC

All-purpose woodburner thread

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jimtitt 21 Sep 2014
It´s a bit autumnal now down here in Bavaria so firewood is on the agenda. While splitting logs this afternoon I wondered where all the "can I fit a woodburner/where do I get cheap firewood" threads have got to this year or is it so balmy and oil so cheap no-one´s bothering?
In reply to jimtitt:

Tidied the woodshed up a bit today; split a few old logs that were too damp and knotted last year. Agreed to take down a fairly big sycamore when the leaves have fallen, which will do me at least two winters from next year.

Oh, and this week sorted out liner and help for an inset fire which'll be going in next month.

On the other hand, had the house windows open all day because it's been so warm. Watered the garden because it's completely dessicated.

Martin
 Dr.S at work 21 Sep 2014
In reply to jimtitt:

moving house, losing my open fires so not that interested in wood this year.
 The Lemming 21 Sep 2014
In reply to jimtitt:

Its unseasonally warm for September but I am looking forward to buying my first 50kgs of coal for the month.

You can't beat a cracking coal fire to warm the cockles of your heart.

woolsack 21 Sep 2014
In reply to jimtitt:

We could do with a good 'which chainsaw' thread or 'what is the best splitting axe/maul?'

Incidentally, it's Skoda Octavia for both of these ^
In reply to jimtitt:

Just bought a house in the Peak, and inherited a full woodshed. After the tree surgeons felled a bunch of 60 foot Norwegian Spruce and Ash, looks like we're self sufficient for a few years. There's still a lot for them to go at when they continue clearance in the garden in spring.
On the oil front, just paid 49p a litre which was also ok. I'm fitting General Grabbers to the Discovery next month and then it's bring on winter!
 sbc_10 21 Sep 2014
In reply to jimtitt:

> I wondered where all the "can I fit a woodburner" threads have got to this year

I was tempted but feared being flamed.
In reply to sbc_10:

> I was tempted but feared being flamed.

It's a hot topic.

In reply to maisie:

> It's a hot topic.

And you're bound to get some fiery reactions but you don't want to burn your bridges just because it got heated
 sbc_10 21 Sep 2014
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

All those big cheeses chipping in and running rings around me. I must be barking.
 KellyKettle 22 Sep 2014
In reply to maisie:

Sycamore? And you're going to burn it? That beautiful white wood with the fine grain? Sacrilidge! D:
 toad 22 Sep 2014
In reply to KellyKettle:
> (In reply to maisie)
>
> Sycamore? And you're going to burn it? That beautiful white wood with the fine grain? Sacrilidge! D:

because it self seeds so readily and tends to dominate in undermanaged and secondary woodland, there's a lot of rubbish small diameter sycamore around - enough for burning and still leaving plenty for folks that like to do tricks with sticks.

I had a wood burner put in earlier this year, but with the new doors and warm (so far) year, I've only managed a couple of fires
 Toerag 22 Sep 2014
In reply to toad:

> because it self seeds so readily and tends to dominate in undermanaged and secondary woodland

Agreed, I have one in the field next to my house - I've pulled literally hundreds of sycamore seedlings out this year, it's definitely a weed of a tree.

to answer Jim, it is an Indian summer here - we've had a bit of rain but it's been around 20 degrees on the sunny days this month here. We've not turned the heating on at all yet and it's still hot at night.
In reply to jimtitt:

Got a wood burner being installed this week! Excited for long warm winter evenings huddled round it now. Also on the lookout for a rustic kettle to warm on it
In reply to KellyKettle:

> Sycamore? And you're going to burn it? That beautiful white wood with the fine grain? Sacrilidge! D:

Ah, mainly burn it. I've one friend who turns, who takes some big bits. But as mentioned above, it's not exactly endangered and it goes well in the fire.

Martin
Removed User 22 Sep 2014
In reply to jimtitt:

I've had a Clearview 400 stove for 7 years. Extremely pleased with it, lights first time and the double glazed window doesn't fog up.

I have a plentiful supply of free fuel. I have peat cutting rights on a local moor. It takes a few days hard graft to cut and get the peat dry and then haul it home and stack it at the back of the house.

Additionally my son works on the railways. He often calls by with a variety of tree trucks that have been felled on the trackside.
 steve taylor 23 Sep 2014
In reply to jimtitt:

I'm considering turning the air conditioning off at night now, but that's as far as it goes...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...