UKC

managing home wifi connections

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 VS4b 24 Sep 2014
Can anyone suggest some preferably free or cheap software that i can use to manage my wifi connections?

I'd like to be able to time limit access to the wifi for specific (ios based) devices, while allowing other ipads and laptops to remain connected. Hopefully that makes sense!
 hokkyokusei 24 Sep 2014
In reply to VS4b:

generally, this is a feature of your Wifi router. You point a web browser at the admin page of the router, and navigate to the page that sets up the allowed usage pattern. You will need to identify the devices you wish to restrict by their MAC address.

What Wifi router are you using?
 kathrync 24 Sep 2014
In reply to VS4b:

Yes, usually controlled from the software on your router. This is accessed via your web browser.

You can usually get there by putting the IP address of your router into your web browser. Assuming you haven't changed this, common default addresses are 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1, so try these first.

If these don't work, try the following. If you are on Windows, open a cmd window and type ipconfig. In the output, you are looking for the default gateway. If you are on a Mac, there are instructions here (second post down) http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6782658/how-to-get-default-gateway-in-ma...

You will usually need a user name and password to log in. The default user name is often admin or something similar - the details are often on a sticker on the router or the box it came in. If you don't have these any more, there are lists of defaults for different routers on line.

The level of control available to you will vary from router to router.
OP VS4b 24 Sep 2014
In reply to kathrync:

Thanks people. I'll have a play tonight.
 Lurking Dave 25 Sep 2014
In reply to VS4b:

Just remember that anyone that can access the device can press the reset button and undo your changes...

Cheers
LD

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...