UKC

Has any other country ever rejected independence?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 bleddynmawr 26 Sep 2014
Many countries have achieved independence after years or decades of struggle and sometimes armed resistance, but has any other country been offered independence and said no?
 RomTheBear 26 Sep 2014
In reply to bleddynmawr:

> Many countries have achieved independence after years or decades of struggle and sometimes armed resistance, but has any other country been offered independence and said no?

Quebec. Twice.
 Mr Trebus 26 Sep 2014
In reply to bleddynmawr:

The Falklands? I don't know if it counts as a country in its own right.
 GrahamD 26 Sep 2014
In reply to Mr Trebus:

I'm not sure they were offered independance either.
 GarethSL 26 Sep 2014
In reply to bleddynmawr:

Bermuda
In reply to RomTheBear:

Quebec wasn't/isn't a country
 elsewhere 26 Sep 2014
In reply to Graeme Alderson:

> Quebec wasn't/isn't a country

But would have been if the vote had gone the other way.
In reply to bleddynmawr:

A quick Google gives you

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independence_referendum

So not many have rejected it but NI is in there (not really mentioned recently TBH) plus Puerto Rico a few times. And Nouvelle Caledonie (where I am at the moment), which might have been an omen for our friends from Vieux Caledonie.

In reply to elsewhere:

Of course but maybe you missed the bit of the OP "but has any other country been offered independence and said no"
 malky_c 26 Sep 2014
In reply to Graeme Alderson:

But this is the line the 'yes' campaign took (I'm sure they even had leaflets printed up with it on) which was misleading.
 jimtitt 26 Sep 2014
In reply to bleddynmawr:
A shedload of French colonial countries refused the option in the 1950´s preferring to keep their status as either overseas territories or become states in the French Community.
Puerto Rico has rejected independence 3 times, whether they count as a country is a matter of debate.

Of course more interesting really is which European country wished to give up their independence and were prevented from doing so?
Post edited at 18:51
 Sean Kelly 26 Sep 2014
In reply to jimtitt:
Puerto Rico has rejected independence 3 times, whether they count as a country is a matter of debate.

Ah! The rich port!
Post edited at 22:08

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...