UKC

To the Cautiously optimistic Jess.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Marc Langley 29 Sep 2014
Hey all,

OK so a bit a random non climbing related question or potential forum suicide. How ever I was climbing at Stanage End yesterday and got chatting to a girl who goes by the name Jess. Unfortunately I was not proactive enough to have ask her out. I wasn't sure if it was crag etiquette to ask a rather attractive person out whilst reaching for the lip of steamin E15b.

So here goes my forum suicide. If any one knows the Jess who was climbing at Stanage End yesterday, who was also feeling cautiously optimistic leading green streak, then could you please pass on my UKC contact details and also apologies for being a big douche .

A total stab in the dark but with cautious optimisme .

Marc,
 Yanis Nayu 29 Sep 2014
In reply to MarcJLangley:

> Hey all,

> OK so a bit a random non climbing related question or potential forum suicide. How ever I was climbing at Stanage End yesterday and got chatting to a girl who goes by the name Jess. Unfortunately I was not proactive enough to have ask her out. I wasn't sure if it was crag etiquette to ask a rather attractive person out whilst reaching for the lip of steamin E15b.

No better time, I would have thought. And if you fell off straight afterwards, you could claim that you did it for comedy value...

Have you tried looking on the UKC logbook (not that I'm a skilled stalker of course...)?

OP Marc Langley 29 Sep 2014
In reply to Malcolm Tucker's Sweary Aunt:

Hahaha, I wish I had thought out that, I would of avoided the fear of pulling over the lip ,

Good shout by the way I will have a look.
 brownie mike 30 Sep 2014

Brilliant. You mean the blonde girl climbing with her boyfriend Toby? I'll pass on your message...
 mattrm 30 Sep 2014
In reply to brownie mike:

> Brilliant. You mean the blonde girl climbing with her boyfriend Toby? I'll pass on your message...

Either way that's dead funny.

Removed User 30 Sep 2014

If she's really climbing E15 she won't be interested in a punter like yourself...
 SumnerSan 30 Sep 2014
Amazing!

Given that we've just moved up here and have no friends (aside from mr matchmaker brownie mike!) she'll probs go out with you as long as I can come too.

Toby
 MonkeyPuzzle 30 Sep 2014
Can't... tear... myself... away...
 deepsoup 30 Sep 2014
In reply to SumnerSan:

It's been a while since we've had a UKC meet, lets all go out together!
 mattrm 30 Sep 2014
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:

> Can't... tear... myself... away...

Ditto. Best thread in a while. C'mon Marc, post again please!
 Tom Last 30 Sep 2014

Ah shucks. Top marks for effort!
 MonkeyPuzzle 30 Sep 2014
In reply to Tom Last:

Absolutely. Nothing ventured and all that.
In reply to Tom Last: It's certainly worth asking, there's nothing to lose. And maybe it just wasn't even slightly obvious she was with her boyfriend. After all, you'd look for those visual clues, even if you didn't ask directly.

SumnerSan 30 Sep 2014
Absolutely - I'm looking forward to getting much more physical on the crag!
 cander 30 Sep 2014

Reckon I'd have chosen a more generic profile name before doing this - so pleased I'm old and married ... but just for comfort - it's the sort of thing I'd have done, and I ended up marrying a cracker
 MonkeyPuzzle 30 Sep 2014
In reply to cander:

After being turned down by a biscuit?
 blackcat 30 Sep 2014
In reply to MarcJLangley: Dont let that put you off stanage mate,you still can always say hi to BOTH of them .

OP Marc Langley 30 Sep 2014
Ha ha brilliant, I guess I did not pick on the visual clues. No reflection on me there though L SumnerSan ;.

Well at least it gave us all a laugh ha . Its also worth noting the idea actually worked! nothing gained and nothing lost,

No malice intended on my part. Apologies.

Also Hardonicus, I think your comment was a little harsh given the nature of the thread, so when you have lead harder than E1 and 6B sport which in the guiding community is what we call the punter grade give me a shout. I will be more than happy to guide you up something worth while. Maybe you could try tower ridge? Jakes Rake? maybe even striding edge? I will be updating my logbook with my accents. Something I have never done before. I personally like to mark the pages in the my guide book with a little highlighter and write the dates and a little description. Enjoy the pending winter season.
Post edited at 10:52
 Rob Exile Ward 30 Sep 2014

I think you may be spoiling a good natured thread by reacting to a joke about a typo...
 JJL 30 Sep 2014

Good on you.

You never know, I suspect your profile may be getting the once over by a few people not called Jess...
Removed User 30 Sep 2014

> Also Hardonicus, I think your comment was a little harsh given the nature of the thread, so when you have lead harder than E1 and 6B sport which in the guiding community is what we call the punter grade give me a shout. I will be more than happy to guide you up something worth while. Maybe you could try tower ridge? Jakes Rake? maybe even striding edge? I will be updating my logbook with my accents. Something I have never done before. I personally like to mark the pages in the my guide book with a little highlighter and write the dates and a little description. Enjoy the pending winter season.

Lol - I was only riffing on your typo mush. I wonder if Jess may now be a little more cautious in her optimism as signs of your apparent short fuse have now become evident. Good luck!
 SumnerSan 30 Sep 2014

"I guess I did not pick on the visual clues. No reflection on me there though L SumnerSan"

If you're suggesting that you had your eye on us the entire time (inc. whilst belaying your partner up said E1?) then it's a poor reflection on us both!

Perhaps I'll take up bouldering - I can always jump off for a quick hug whenever the next bloke wanders around the corner.

In all seriousness though, grab the chances while you can. I didn't get (and keep hold of, so far) a 'cracker' like Jess by hesitating. Best of luck to you mate.
 SumnerSan 30 Sep 2014
"I can always jump off for a quick hug whenever the next bloke wanders around the corner."

Goes without saying that I meant a quick hug with Jess there!

MonkeyPuzzle 30 Sep 2014
In reply to SumnerSan:

> Perhaps I'll take up bouldering - I can always jump off for a quick hug whenever the next bloke wanders around the corner.

I just had an idea for a sketch where a climber sees his belaying girlfriend being chatted up and cuts himself loose with a knife. Needs work though...
In reply to SumnerSan:
That is a good point well made! I hope Kasha didn't realise I was not paying much attention to her whilst I was belaying ( I jest).

Haha just make sure its not a highball problem so you can get down quick enough

Genuinely no malice intended Toby. It was an original tongue in check thread intended for a laugh with a little glimmer of optimism .

Thanks for seeing the funny side mate.

Regards
Marc
Post edited at 11:36
 SumnerSan 30 Sep 2014

You could call it "Falling in love"

Touching the Void ?
 Dave 88 30 Sep 2014

This has made hilarious lunch time reading. Good effort mate, genuinely gutted for you!
 duchessofmalfi 30 Sep 2014

I think you owe hardonicus an apology for being a pompous arse (unless, of course, you do lead E15)
 FreshSlate 30 Sep 2014

I love you man, this thread made my day.
 Pewtle 30 Sep 2014

Best thread ever!
 brownie mike 30 Sep 2014

The bit that confuses me is you said you had tried the E1 before with your girlfriend, but had been put off by the long reach final move, so had come back to it. What happened to your girlfriend?
 Timmd 30 Sep 2014
You should all meet up for a drink anyway, there's no right way to meet new friends. ()
Post edited at 13:34

Are you asking me out on a date? :P.

My partner and I recently split after my Brother passed away almost 12 months ago. Feel free to have a read of my blog Marclangleyclimbing@blogspot.com.

I hope this helps with your confusion?

brownie mike 30 Sep 2014

I would ask you out, you seemed lovely, except my missus (lady who was struggling up the pinion), may have something to say about it. And you're a man, and that's not my thing.
Apologies, I misunderstood, I was under the impression you had been there recently with your girlfriend and were coming back to finish it...
However if you can make it to mighty Rutland on Saturday night, you are welcome to come over for dinner, Toby and Jess will be there, as will the missus... We could even show you the delights of Slawston Bridge!
Haha brilliant, I just thought I would put it out there just in case. I have a cat and things would be really complicated and also I don't swing that way either ;P.

Asides from your jesting, that offer does sound to good to turn down although I think it would be potentially one the most uncomfortable evenings that has ever taken place on earth in the entire history of the human race ;D.

Besides I don't have a venue that could compete with Slawston Bridge to return the favor of cooking what I am sure will be a wonderful meal ;P

Also no apologies required, I was being nostalgic without trying to put the death word out there, Not sure it would of been good for psych.It was the first time I had been back there since then I don't think the " Death " word would of helped your misses put her foot in that pocket any more.

As I said no malice intended. I misunderstood the situation, It was intended as a tongue in cheek thread.
Post edited at 19:17
 John Kelly 30 Sep 2014

> Also Hardonicus, I think your comment was a little harsh given the nature of the thread, so when you have lead harder than E1 and 6B sport which in the guiding community is what we call the punter grade give me a shout. I will be more than happy to guide you up something worth while. Maybe you could try tower ridge? Jakes Rake? maybe even striding edge? I will be updating my logbook with my accents. Something I have never done before. I personally like to mark the pages in the my guide book with a little highlighter and write the dates and a little description. Enjoy the pending winter season.

Lol - I was only riffing on your typo mush. I wonder if Jess may now be a little more cautious in her optimism as signs of your apparent short fuse have now become evident. Good luck!

you should apologise to Hardonicus - you were wrong
In reply to John Kelly:

> you should apologise to Hardonicus - you were wrong

+1
 Timmd 30 Sep 2014

> Asides from your jesting, that offer does sound to good to turn down although I think it would be potentially one the most uncomfortable evenings that has ever taken place on earth in the entire history of the human race ;D.

For you maybe, the other four are happily coupled. Hunches about awkwardness can be wrong, but I fully see why you wouldn't go. ()

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...